Modding Discussion Possible to have a weapon animate while idle?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Ulithium_Dragon, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Ulithium_Dragon

Ulithium_Dragon Space Kumquat

I'm curious if it's possible to have a weapon play an animation while idle (meaning while not being used to attack with). I've run into limitations for this kind of thing in the past where certain kinds of objects cannot play animations (such as with my old Floran Fly Trap mod - plants can't run animations), so I was just curious if it's at all possible.

I cannot come up with a single vanilla weapon that does this, nor could I locate any mod-added ones either.
    The closest I could find is the Magnorbs weapon, but without even looking at the scripts it uses I'm 98% sure that the actual "weapon" part is not running that rotating animation, but rather the orbs are being bound to the weapon.

*Also I know you can trigger particle effects while a weapon (or armor) is idle (i.e. the Solus Katana), but that's not what I'm asking here: I want to know if it is or is not possible to have a weapon play a frame-based animation sequence while being held but not being "activated".

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
    The reason I ask is I wanted to see if I could add the animation I used for my Avali Tech Bow's wall-mounted object version to the weapon version:

[​IMG]

2. leinglo

leinglo Phantasmal Quasar

I think I might have found something you might be able to use. Check out the items\active\weapons\other folder again. Both the electricrailgun and the gnomegun have idle animations.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  3. Ulithium_Dragon

Thanks, that gives me something to try and reverse engineer off of.

I'd still like a definitive answer on if it's possible to do this though, or if you need to use workarounds.
    I mean it seems like it SHOULD be so simple - just use the functions to define frame and delays, but of course it's not... =.=

4. leinglo

leinglo Phantasmal Quasar

It's interesting, though, those are virtually the only weapons in the game that have proper idle animations, and for the electricrailgun, it's pretty much just a flicker. But that gnome is fully animated.
    I've already gotten the urge to replace it with a Gravity Falls gnome.

5. Ulithium_Dragon

Yeah. I mean some weapons have animated states, but not for idles (i.e. the Solus Katana will change to a glowing version for a few seconds after being swung and throw off some particles as well).

6. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Yes, it is possible, as demonstrated by the mentioned railgun and gnome gun.