Possible to add warmth/light to building tiles?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Ixath, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Ixath

Ixath Starship Captain

I want to create a building tile that gives off warmth, so you can paint it on using the manipulator like the dirt or background tiles.

Ingredients would be a uranium rod + 10 metallic (iron, copper, whatever) ore.. and it'd return 10x Radiant Heating tiles. This part I can do myself pretty easily by copy/pasting an existing recipe and rewording stuff.

What I don't know.. is if building tiles can have warmth added to them via code from campfires or similar things:
    Code:
      "statusEffects" : [
        {
          "kind" : "Warmth",
          "amount" : 120,
          "range" : 2
        }
      ]
    I tried adding the above to the dirt.matitem file and it didn't generate any noticable heat.

And if they can't, how possible it would be to go about adding it? Same goes for adding a small glow to it so it illuminates a bit.

Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  2. Passage

Passage Space Spelunker

There's no reason it shouldn't work. Why not just back up your files and try it out?

3. Ixath

Ixath Starship Captain

I tried it and couldn't get it to work. If anybody has any ideas or thinks I'm an idiot, let me know =)

4. This will/should work on Objects. Take a look at the campfire object to figure out how it is done. You can then set the collisions to mimic that of a standard block.

5. gameboytj

gameboytj Ketchup Robot

Why would someone call you an idiot? I think this is a good idea, although it needs other types of heat generating blocks too.
    Like an electric heater block or something like that.

6. They already have a raidant heater object ingame already, but I dont believe it actually gives any benefit.

7. gameboytj

gameboytj Ketchup Robot

Why not? Not coded, or just cosmetic?

8. Allow me to correct myself. I was wrong.

assets\objects\human\bunkerheater1\

It does infact give warmth.

9. Ixath

Ixath Starship Captain

I modified the dirt.material file and went to a snow planet.. and it didn't change the dirt I had already in my inventory.. I assume it would? Anything I'm missing?

Code:
    {
      "materialId" : 8,
      "materialName" : "dirt",
      "frames" : "dirt.png",
      "particleColor" : [112, 72, 39, 255],
      "variants" : 5,
      "itemDrop" : "dirtmaterial",
      "description" : "Dirty looking dirt.",
      "shortdescription" : "Dirt Block",
      "glitchdescription" : "Statement. Dirt. Clarification. Just dirt.",
      "florandescription" : "Filthy dirt!",
      "footstepSound" : "/sfx/blocks/footstep_dirt.wav",
      "tillableMod" : 31,
      "health" : 2.3,

"statusEffects" : [
        {
          "kind" : "Warmth",
          "amount" : 120,
          "range" : 5
        }
      ]
    }

10. As I said before, I do not think you can attach a tag to materials. Only objects.