1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Possible Memory Leak?

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by jadeonking, Oct 9, 2017.

1. jadeonking

jadeonking Void-Bound Voyager

2. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

Can you reproduce this without the 3rd party server gui?

~ Iris ~

3. jadeonking

I will launch the server without PenGUIn however I fail to see how its going to affect it ill add that my friend sat at the base for about 30mins and it reached about 5.4 gigs in committed memory after I restarted the server which was after the above picture

4. Iris Blanche

Iirc the gui sends rcon commands all over the time. Basically i want to find out if it is rcon related. :)

~ Iris ~

5. jadeonking

In 10mins without PenGUIn
    [​IMG]

seems to raising at a rate of 400mbs per minute will post another picture at 20mins

20 minute mark
    [​IMG]

30mins

[​IMG]

40mins
    [​IMG]

50mins
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  6. Iris Blanche

I also notice that it is commit size which is the higher amount. This is totally normal. Take a look into the performance tab and see if the ram usage increases.

When memory is committed, the OS guarantees that the corresponding pages could in principle exist either in physical RAM or on the pagefile. It counts toward its hard limit of total available pages on the system, and it formally creates pages. It creates pages and pretends that they exist (even if they don't exist yet).

Commit memory =/= actual ram usage.

Edit: merged your triple post ;)

~ Iris ~

7. jadeonking

As you can see in the last picture (30min mark) memory is still rising cant say why however I do know that this is way to high

8. Iris Blanche

Woah...nearly 8 gigs o.o
    How many players atm? What is loaded (planets, wiring, stuff like that)?
    Does it change when visiting another location?

~ Iris ~

9. jadeonking

on the last picture it halved so there appears to be memory cleanup for memory but not for commited also one person sitting in a base barely moving at all his only job is literally to relay minutes in chat small amount of wiring comparative to most bases and some crafting stations and he hasnt traveled at all same base for the the full 40mins

10. Iris Blanche

Committed doesn't decrease but the actual ram usage does so it's fine. Committed ram gets released when another process needs that space.
    Though 8 gigs of usage is quite a lot...but it *can* be mod related if there's a lot of stuff happen.

~ Iris ~

11. BlkMage

BlkMage Space Hobo

I understand that committed memory is going to be larger than the amount that is being stored in actual RAM. Our issue is that it keeps increasing for no apparent reason, as I have literally been standing in virtually the same spot for over an hour. Why is the game needing to allocate so much virtual memory for a nearly static environment? The data provided clearly is showing that the server is trying to continually allocate more and more virtual memory for game assets. Of the mods we have installed I can only see 2 of them that could possibly be affecting the games asset generation, namely enhanced storage and Frackin Universe, as all of the other mods generate static assets upon interaction or modify existing functionality that doesn't pertain to the game's assets. Frackin' Universe is a widely used mod with no reports of memory leaks or memory issues in general at this time. I find it very surprising that over 20GB of virtual committed memory is deemed as 'normal'. I personally don't see how committing enough virtual memory in an hour that could fit a full-fledged AAA title game in it is 'normal', especially when RAM and memory both keep increasing at a steady rate (thankfully the game seems to be performing garbage collection on RAM and preventing it from getting too terribly high). It's more the fact that the memory and committed memory never settle that we see as an indicator that there's a problem, as again that means something in the server is trying to allocate virtual and actual memory for some asset(s) continuously.

Tomorrow my friend and I will be doing this same test on a another planet we haven't touched yet to see if the same problem presents itself as we really do want to help narrow down what is causing the issue, whether it's the base game or a mode causing it. If you have any other tests you would like us to try please let us know and we'll do our best to run through them.

12. jadeonking

2 hours

[​IMG]

13. jadeonking

Also this killed my Black Desert Online game to gain commited memory

14. Iris Blanche

That's odd... Thanks for reporting. I'm gonna do some tests with your used mods too and forward the results and your sightings to the devs :)

~ Iris ~

15. Venissa

Venissa Orbital Explorer

Same issue reported here, version 1.3.2.

16. Geodeek

Geodeek Pangalactic Porcupine

It seems like this thread was necro'd but, in the off chance that anyone cares, here are a few heatmaps. Most notable is the one of my server's RAM usage stats for the past two months:
    [​IMG]

Over the two years that I've been running this server, I have always seen Starbound continue to accumulate more and more memory usage as it runs. Nightly restarts help to an extent, but this is certainly not an ideal solution.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  17. locketeerian

locketeerian Aquatic Astronaut

I'm speculating here. People have complained about performance issues since the official launch of 1.0.
    I've started playing a month ago and have had a few times the client crash on me. There are three main types of those:
    1. Some of those crashes gave errors stating memory access violations.
    2. The game freezes for 20 seconds and stops responding. Then Windows OS takes over and shows me the usual "trying to solve the problem" progress window.
    3. The game simply closes abruptly without warning. When I relaunch the client, all of the item and block changes have been retained, but I spawn at the previous planet-side location.
    I don't have any mods installed and have never installed any before. My hunch is that there definitely is something wrong with memory use in the vanilla game itself.

18. locketeerian

locketeerian Aquatic Astronaut

I wonder if this has anything to do with the topic.
    [​IMG]

19. issac26

issac26 Yeah, You!

2018 may 07 and happens the same, out of memory.. i have 8gb ram i5 1060nvidia, is my pc or the game? im pleying with mods like FU and the rest of little things like fps boost... any1 solve this or we need wait the patch 1.4?
    the

20. ChesLans

ChesLans Intergalactic Tourist

Hi...as per my knowledge when memory is committed, the OS guarantees that the corresponding pages could in principle exist either in physical RAM or on the pagefile. It counts toward its hard limit of total available pages on the system, and it formally creates pages.

calculate percentage

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018