Polterghasts

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Joxalot, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Joxalot

Joxalot Subatomic Cosmonaut

You're strolling around the field of this grassy planet, look back GET DUNKED BY A HUGE CHUNK OF DIRT!
    What could possibly have done this to you?! No creature nearby, nothing! When you recover from such brutal hit, tries to reconize your attacker and suddently BAM, DUNKED AGAIN BY THE CHUNK.
    You realize you're being mauled to death by a bunch of dirt blocks.

What the hell is going on?!

Polterghasts!
    This creature of ghostly/eerie appearance lurks the universe possessing whatever it can find, feeding on the matter and energy.​
    Polterghasts are normally "born" when eletric anomalies of great proportions occur.​
    Becoming a sentient being made entirely of energetic gooey matter, the "ghasts" can be quite inteligent and wander around the universe, strinving for a solid body on their own.​
    [​IMG]
    Possible design for ghasts.

These creatures are VERY RARE and only a few people have witnessed them. It is known to be very aggressive beings, but yet, very weak in their original form and will often avoid combat until otherwise.

The polterghast feed on matter by enveloping the matter (or target) with their bodies. Then, they'll proceed on slowly consuming it until only that's left is a pile of dust. While "possessing", the ghast can make small objects float and are even capable of controling the mind of the weak.

In this form, polterghasts are immune to most types of damage, but their temporary bodies are not.
    To deal with such a monster, the player first have to totally destroy the possessed object or creature and then deal with them in their original form. Even so, the ghasts are very resistent to physical attacks.
    To effectively destroy one you have to use energy based weapons. Since they cant "digest" energy fast enough, blasting them with a plasma pistol or a shock gun will overload them until they cant hold their own form together and will dissipate

[​IMG]
    Exemple of a polterghast being a major ass.
    Their attack pattern are simple yet vary depending on the surroundings.​
    Since they can "spawn" anywhere, this situation can be either just awful to "Oh my god I hate this game".​
    The polterghast, once spotted by the player will either run, float around bashing the character stealing energy and a small amount of life or possess something in the vicinity. This goes from blocks, to decoration and even other creatures.​
    If part of the terrain is possessed, the polterghast will make the chunck float, spin and thrust around the place, trying to hit the player until it's dead.​
    If possessing a creature, the host will become faster and stronger, jump higher and become a raging berserk.​
    Once the player is with a medium to low health, the polterghast will attempt to possess the player.​
    If successful, the player character will lose control as the ghast will make it run and jump around aimlessly and attacking friends/foes alike for around 6 seconds, draining a considerable amount of health.​
    [​IMG]
    Possible fully-grown version of 2 of the previous designs.
    Just a few poltherghast manage to reach a "body form". After centuries of energy consuming, they create a layer of a hard rock-like material.​
    Fighting a fully grown ghast would be the game's most challenging part, since this carapace is so strong most attacks just glance away, and they can possess a enormous amount of matter or creatures, even create other ghasts to do their bidding. Just by being near one your energy will slowly drain. Being hit by one, bye bye energy meter!​
    Upon death, a polterghast can drop crystals powder they get from storing energy. These can be used to fully recover the player's energy and apply a buff that rises the energy regen in 100% or something.​
    Unusually one can drop a shard of these crystals. This shard can be equiped to rise the energy regen and energy amount.​
    Just rarely they'll drop a full crystal that can be used to craft awesome gear. A powerarmor to a energy rifle and even a gadget that can remotaly control other creatures!​
    Fully-grown ones will drop at least one full crystal and random minerals/items.​
    To incriease your chance of finding these, go on high-threat planets while a thunderstorm, or artificially create one!​
    I beleive thats all for now. Feel free to comment and post your opinions, any kind of feedback is welcome, thanks for reading!​

2. omegablue

omegablue Void-Bound Voyager

wow this is really cool, alot of effort put into it ^^ i hope it gets picked because that would be awesome, hey maybe even add 1 as a boss :D

3. Joxalot

Joxalot Subatomic Cosmonaut

Ahaha thanks!

I only wish I had half the skills other artists/writers have here to provide a better content, but I glad to know people liked!
    I had this idea stuck in my head for quite some time now.

I also would like to thank the guys from IRC for giving such inspiring feedback on the idea/concept art before I wrote this.

4. omegablue

omegablue Void-Bound Voyager

yea, but i think that it looks great the way it is, you told it the way you imagined it, so its perfect the way it is, no more or less amount of content could make it any better :D

Joxalot likes this.
  5. Danisaurus

Danisaurus Void-Bound Voyager

Man.. I mean, I can draw like this on paper, though Im awful at drawing on the computer. Awesome idea and awesome art :)

Joxalot likes this.