[Poll] Your favorite spouse (male)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jerev, Jan 10, 2017.

?

Who is your favorite marriage candidate?

1. Alex

26 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. Elliott

41 vote(s)
    15.7%
  3. Harvey

34 vote(s)
    13.0%
  4. Sam

16 vote(s)
    6.1%
  5. Sebastian

78 vote(s)
    29.9%
  6. Shane

66 vote(s)
    25.3%
  1. JazzHepcat

JazzHepcat Seal Broken

Sebby is so cute though??

• Reneeisxena

Reneeisxena Big Damn Hero

I married Harvey in my first play through. He's the most normal guy and has a job! As I've said before the whole marriage and kids wasn't really thought out well. He does nearly nothing on the farm except occasionally fix fences and make me breakfast. But he doesn't complain so that's good! I'm in my 5th play through now and haven't married anyone in any of the other games. I chose my farmer to be male this time so I might get married just not sure who yet.

• Riguel

Riguel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

• Lorekeeper of Wyverns

Lorekeeper of Wyverns Void-Bound Voyager

Definitely Shane! I get that he's kind of a love-him-or-hate-him kind of guy, but I really felt for him for obvious reasons. Plus blue chickens are a nice bonus, especially considering that I love having chickens in any sort of game like this.

Though considering how unpopular he seems to be, I will at least say that Sam comes in as a close second favourite. He's the complete opposite, sure, but I find his positivity and relaxed nature incredibly charming. Plus he's dedicated to his music from what I've seen, which, even if I'm not a musician myself but a writer, I quite admire. Also, everyone says he looks like a Super Saiyan, but being a Pokemon fan rather than Dragonball fan, I instead think he looks like an anthropomorphised Manectric thanks to his hair and blue jacket- and Manectric's one of my favourite Electric-types, so that's another reason for me to love Sam, simple as it may be.

lannihamm, Riguel and Seismothesaurus like this.
        • Reneeisxena

When I first started playing last year, I thought that Elliot seemed like a good choice. He's a writer and I've done some writing, but over time he seems so self absorbed that I barely talked to him except on his birthday. Shane was never on my radar because of his drinking issues, my own Dad was an alcoholic, and he was always so rude. Alex is stuck reliving his glory days of high school football, plus he has abandonment issues. Sam was too quiet and introverted for me and Sebastian is a little too dark and morose for me. Then there was Harvey, a little bit dull, but with a heart of gold and one of the few with a great job. The ten heart event in the hot air balloon sealed the deal for me, despite his intense fear he went through with it for love. He won my heart.
          It would be nice in the new update to see more things for the spouse to do on the farm. I have auto-feeders so when he says he fed the animals it really doesn't mean anything. Maybe the spouse could milk, collect eggs and truffles and pick ripen fruit and veg. It would be nice if the kids did more than just run around the house like a pet. Maybe age them and then have them go to classes with Penny, maybe even build an actual school for them. As it stands right now, I think if Farmer Paul gets married in my current farm it would be to Maru, she seem to be the smartest girl and maybe her robots could actually help with the farm. We'll see, I'll keep you informed.

Riguel and ManaUser like this.
          • Papierzasta

Papierzasta Void-Bound Voyager

Harvey forever and ever! Dependable, loyal, has a steady job and is adorably awkward! I also love the 'stache. He looks the oldest from all the bachelors, either around my age or older, which works for me just fine.

On my second save I married Elliott, and he is... a little too poetic for my tastes.

Sebby, Alex and Sam seem waaaay too young for me to the point I would feel uncomfortable pursuing them romantically.

Shane. I am really torn about Shane. I don't think he is an alcoholic - more of a town "drunk", with depression as his main problem, and the drinking was only there to fill the void. That's why I have no problem with him still drinking when you get married to him - if he is controlling it and he is getting better, there is no need to antagonise him, I think. But... it's this awful Joja jacket. I mean, after getting married at least, he should be able to afford new clothes. And the shorts... thanks, no, thanks.

I realised I sounded like Hayley there :lickitung:...

Zosa, Seismothesaurus and Reneeisxena like this.
            • Reneeisxena

So glad to see another Harveyite! I am in my 4th play through and He's the only one I've ever married. Although because my farmer is male this time I may get him married. I've been thinking about Maru as she seems the most normal of the ladies. Hayley is just too shallow, Leah is too artsy, I don't know much about Emily yet, Penny is a little needy what with living with her Mom Pam. As for Abigail she is just really annoying. She hates pretty much anything you give her and will say things like "What do you want me to do with this?" Maybe I should release some slimes in her room and see her run. LOL

plagueborn667 likes this.
              • plagueborn667

plagueborn667 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Emily is a spiritual tree hugging animal bleeding heart health nut with a love for designing clothes and a positive upbeat demeanor.

• Seismothesaurus

Seismothesaurus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That's how I see it, too--drinking is a poor coping mechanism for the underlying problem of depression, not The Problem itself. It's understandable if people hate the drinking or refuse to be involved with someone for that reason, but reducing his issues to alcoholism deprives him of the character depth CA put into him, IMO. (And some stuff people say is really disrespectful to people with mental health issues IRL.) That said, I think that his unmodded marriage dialogue is quite lacking and even undoes some of the progress he makes by 10 hearts, so that's worth considering when it comes to picking a spouse.

I don't mind the jacket because I'm all about scruffy guys who look like they've spent twelve hours rolling around the floor of an abandoned warehouse, but those shorts are the worst, lol. First mod I ever downloaded was pants.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
                    ChaosAzeroth likes this.
                  • Papierzasta

Papierzasta Void-Bound Voyager

Ouch, that's a little harh...

• lannihamm

lannihamm Pangalactic Porcupine

I went with Sam during my first playthrough because he just struck me as the most personable male character in the game (Alex seemed shallow, Elliot was too flamboyant, I hated Harvey's 'stache, Sebastian was too gloomy, and Shane wasn't available yet)

The second time around I think I chose Sebastian, to see if his personality softened up, but he just continued to be his regular gloomy self, so I didn't do that again. Since then I've always chosen Alex. If I'm being completely honest, his personality + like/dislikes are so similar to my irl boyfriend that I can't help but find him endearing. Once you get past his football persona, I think he's one of the nicer candidates overall.

On top of that, I really feel like Alex, Sam and Shane are the only candidates who would be suitable to living on a farm and all that; Alex has the strength, Sam has the patience, and Shane has experience with animals. On the other hand, Harvey obviously is still a doctor, Elliot is still involved in writing (though at least he's at home), and Sebastian is of course, still being Sebastian.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
                        Arlem likes this.
                      • plagueborn667

plagueborn667 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I didn't think it was harsh. Just stating what I see. I like Emily :)

Was it the bleeding heart comment ;) ?

• ViolentOtter

ViolentOtter Aquatic Astronaut

I still love Harvey. He was my first spouse and my favourite of all the male candidates. Although I do like them all for different reasons. I would have to say my least favourite is Alex, but if you like him, more power to you!

• Arlem

Arlem Void-Bound Voyager

Ever since I started playing Stardew Valley, I have been picking only Alex. I have had dozens of new playthroughs and I never had anyone else. I had them all up to 8 hearts, but nothing drew me towards their character. Sebastian is still my least favorite; he's always either 0 hearts or accidental 1 that goes down anyway.

• MomoHoney

MomoHoney Aquatic Astronaut

Man, it was really difficult voting on this. If we are talking about who would make the best husband, I'd go for Harvey without a doubt. He the sweetest, most caring man in the valley and makes a fantastic father later on. Elliott looks gorgeous and I love his romantic, artistic side. He's the one who appeals to me the most as a potential lover and I can't imagine life being dull around a man who abandoned everything to chase his dream. Sebastian appeals to my protective side. He's a child who needs some tenderness to help him come out of his tough shell. He has a lot of unrealised potential and I personally like a partner who stays independent. Watching him develop would be a reward of its own.

The rest I'm kinda meh about, though Shane has grown on me. His struggles are very relatable to anyone who's dealt with bad mental health. Still, I'm more inclined to befriend than date him. I don't think a relationship would even be good for him with everything he's dealing with.

• Reneeisxena

In my newest play through I'm thinking of marrying Sam. He's a rocker with a heart of gold. He has a very protective side for his little brother, Vincent, and for his mom. He also would love to have a better relationship with his dad but they just don't know each other well. He also doesn't seem to have bad habits like Shane's drinking and Seb's smoking. I only just started getting the hearts up so we'll see how it goes.

• Naruchii

Naruchii Void-Bound Voyager

Yeay for Sebastian~!!

• Antinous23

Antinous23 Space Hobo

Working on my first play through - not sure who I'd choose. Seems like Shane is a popular pick though.

• Chefpief

Chefpief Subatomic Cosmonaut

I've not actually married any of the guys yet. Closest i've gotten is an 8 heart relationship with Shane cause the man needs a hug. Should probably do that. Think i've married all the ladies except for Maru so far.

• Larindel

Larindel Poptop Tamer

Harvey - without any doubt or regret! <3

Zosa likes this.