Dev Blog [POLL] Witchmarsh Daily Update #62

Discussion in 'Developer Updates' started by Flapdoddle, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Flapdoddle

Flapdoddle Witchmarsh Developer

Hey everyone,

Sorry about the lack of dev blog entires. We've all been busy with our own separate tasks, as well as real-life developments.

In recent weeks I've been focusing on the game's NPCs and readable book content. Witchmarsh's books function a little like books in other RPGs, they provide you with snippets of lore, or more commonly, real-life trivia and facts; as well as the retelling of folk tales and real world mythology.

They're generally not very long (about 500 words per volume), but hopefully they'll prove fun to leaf through when you're not following the story. We're also planning some side-mission content relating to an antique book seller; so there may be some hunting and collecting of rare books for money and EXP.

We're also curious as to whether you think books should award things like EXP, stat points or skill points for reading them. I've attached a poll, here.

Today's progress:
    • 3 new NPCS added.
    • 1 new book completed.
    • 1 new lore-related section in the game's manual.
    Thanks for reading!

Captain Rage and Tsuruda like this.
    • SteelSoldier

SteelSoldier Existential Complex

I think that would be nice for sure, depending on the reward the book gives they would have different effects on them, I would imagine that standard books that only grant exp wouldn't have any mystic effects around them, while the Stat/Skill Points would have some sort of force emanating from them.

I remember watching an anime where this book actually possessed a human soul, every time the book cover was opened, the book was always trying to to drag people into the book, would be neat if there were books with unique eldritch properties, although we might fall into the mimic chest category which is not always desirable

• ares5566

ares5566 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think if you do that the type of players who don't read through that will begrudge the design. On top of that you have to think of replay value, books aren't "replayable" the same way a game is yet a massive list of characters, multiplayer, build decisions, party size and a whole host of other elements which could potentially have players going through the game several times will also create an issue with such a system.

Tsuruda likes this.