Modding Help Player Specific Mods that don't Affect NPCs

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by CatofRiddles, Mar 31, 2017.

1. CatofRiddles

CatofRiddles Subatomic Cosmonaut

I've just gotten into modding, and I've been having a blast! However, i've noticed some of the customization mods (Teleport Color, Hairstyles, etc.) always seem to affect the NPCs as well. Is it possible to make mods that focus on only changing the player? Or is Starbound just not programmed that way?

2. Nexus Of Chaos

Nexus Of Chaos Parsec Taste Tester

if you mess with LUA, you might be able to define the player separate from NPCs and therefore any mods you make only affect the player, but this may break other mods

3. IHart

IHart Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Teleport color and hairstyles are handled by species type. create a new species type for your character and use whatever settings you want, it will not change any of the npcs of the original species types.

I'd love to see an example of this.

Cyel likes this.
  4. Nexus Of Chaos

Nexus Of Chaos Parsec Taste Tester

well, lua can pretty much rewrite the game, so...

5. Ultimate sandvich

Ultimate sandvich Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I might be mistaken since I have little knowledge about lua, but I don't think that's how things work. Some things are hardcoded into the game, so we can't change them. Again, I might be mistaken.

Cyel likes this.
  6. CatofRiddles

CatofRiddles Subatomic Cosmonaut

I've never used LUA before. I wouldn't know how much it messes with the game.

The new species idea does sound like something i could consider, but it sounds like it would take a lot of upkeep to stay compatible with other racial mods...