1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Player/Shipworld files seemingly messed up

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by rainyy, Dec 29, 2020.

1. rainyy

rainyy Intergalactic Tourist

Hello! Sorry if I’ve done something wrong already, I made an account specifically to get help with this.

Recently, the resolution and FPS have dropped dramatically, and full screen no longer works, instead being a 1-1 box. I assumed there must be something wrong with the game files themselves, and lo, when I went to go look at them, they were obviously quite different from before, the icon beside them being different and even being quite jumbled when I opened them to see the issue. It seemed that they had the notepad icon instead of the usual creased piece of paper (I’m on Windows 10 so that’s the default icon for .player files as it seems), implying they would open with notepad. . .

Sorry if this doesn’t make any sense. I’m trying to communicate the issue as best as I can, but I’m not sure if any of this is actually related to the dramatic drop in quality. I’d appreciate any sort of help. :)
    [​IMG]

2. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

If the playerfile has been opened AND saved with notepad then it is corrupted. You can restore one of the backups (.bak1 - .bak3) where .bak1 is the most recent backup. To restore the most recent backup remove the .bak1 extension after removing the playerfile (I recommend renaming or moving it first, rather than deleting). As for the resolution issue, did you change anything in your OS (drivers, hardware in general, any additional software etc)?

FYI: You can enable file extensions by default in your explorer so that you can see it directly on the filename again. The .player extension is now associated with notepad on your OS but as long as you don't save the file from notepad this isn't a problem.