Player Rank, Active Crew member limits, orders

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by bk3k, Nov 12, 2016.

1. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

I did a quick search for rank in title... nothing.

1. So I was thinking an easy mechanic to add to the game is Player Rank. Possibly rank up from doing enough generated quests, as well as story quests. Probably Ester would be the one who ranks you up... makes sense, right? You're a member of the Protectorate and she's the former leader.

So what's the point you ask? It COULD be added as a condition of ship upgrades - legal ones anyhow.

But absent that or in addition too, the player's rank can affect how many active(not total) crew members you can bring with you. Right now you have 2(as per player.config), and that's it. You should start with 1, or maybe none(you're a fresh graduate). As you rank up and become this hot-shot, you can add people to your team.

None of that would be difficult to implement. I could make that happen in a mod, actually. I'm suggesting that it should be the vanilla mechanic instead. And I wouldn't be all that surprised to learn this is already on the drawing board.

2. Possibly an expansion of that - which would take at least a bit more doing - is the ability to give your crew commands. Right now they just sort of follow you and do whatever they want. You can tell them to remain by clicking on them (one at a time). I think more could be done here. Not that I'd consider this a priority improvement, but nice to have especially if we do get more active crew.

3. A third idea here, our crew have no quarters? Should that not be a condition of recruitment? It could work more or less like the colony deeds. The colony deed system could easily be adapted for this. And I'd like them to stay in their quarters most the time, or me be able to summon them there. I might make a mod for this idea if the devs don't express interests.