Player Choices v. Design Choices

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tweak, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Tweak

Tweak Scruffy Nerf-Herder

1924 (Clarence Darrow, defense attorney)
    I know that all life is a series of infinite chances, which sometimes result one way and sometimes another.

1916 (Robert Frost, poem)
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference.

1910 (Alfred Henry Lewis)
    The best thing is to do the right thing; the next best is to do the wrong thing; the worst thing of all things is to stand perfectly still.

1904 (Arthur Conan Doyle)
    One should always look for a possible alternative, and provide against it.

1903 (Otto Weininger)
    Mankind has the choice to make. There are only two poles, and there is no middle way.

1899 (William Jennings Bryan, political speech)
    Destiny is not a matter of chance; it is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved.

1891 (Oscar Wilde)
    Each man lived his own life and paid his own price for living it.

1864 (Fyodor Dostoyevsky)
    What man wants is simply independent choice, whatever that independence may cost and wherever it may lead. And choice, of course, the devil only knows what choice.

1859 (John Stuart Mill, philosopher)
    He who chooses his plan for himself, employs all his faculties.

18?? (Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, writer)
    Choose well. Your choice is brief, and yet endless.

1774 (Johann Wolfgang von Goethe)
    In this world one is seldom reduced to make a selection between two alternatives.

430 (Sophocles, playwright)
    Chance rules our lives, and the future is all unknown. Best live as we may, from day to day.

4?? B.C. (Gautama Buddha)
    If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading.

3?? B.C. (Aristotle, philosopher)
    Choice, not chance, determines your destiny.

I've been wrestling for months over the perk I get to design. I made a thread about in The Town Council, which presently goes unread. I know this forum, too, suffers a ghost town like feeling with the game being in its current, largely mysterious state. But I feel the need to make at least something known to those who are not just backers of a certain tier.

Firstly, I am trying my absolute darndest not to overlook player choices which are unconventional (and with little exception, unrewarded). Secondly, I feel very strongly about creating something that is not only viable in several ways, but reserves its best reward for those who dare to make difficult choices.

Obviously, there's a line between what I can discuss to illustrate the idea and what all would amount to giving too much away. But for every criticism I've lobbed towards other games, I now must confront my own criticisms. I aim to succeed.

There's certainly no small amount of things that I could have done if I just assumed A or B. But too often I found myself hitting a wall: if player did X, he can't A. If I force or even encourage the player to do B, then player no longer has the freedom to Y.

I don't consider it a matter of concessions. It's a matter of making improvements.

• Tweak

Tweak Scruffy Nerf-Herder

1989ish
      [​IMG]

and of course

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016