Player Birthday

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by gummywyrms, Sep 23, 2018.

1. gummywyrms

gummywyrms Pangalactic Porcupine

Being a big Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons fan, I've always found it weird that the player doesn't get to celebrate their birthday in Stardew Valley. I'd love it if they could be added, and the NPC's would interact differently with you on your birthday, depending on your friendship and relationship with them.

Here's an example of how it could go:
    • 0-3 hearts: The person doesn't know it's your birthday, so they don't have any special dialogue.
    • 4-5 hearts: The person wishes you a happy birthday.
    • 6-7 hearts: You get a small gift, maybe a wildflower or something.
    • 8-9 hearts: You get a medium gift, like cookies.
    • 10 hearts: You get a large gift, maybe one of the cakes (pink cake or chocolate cake).
    Maybe the gifts would also be dependent on the NPC, so Evelyn gives you baked goods, while Pierre gives you seeds, the Dwarf gives you items from the mine or from his shop, etc.

Party events could also be fun.
    • If you enter your boyfriend/girlfriend's house during a certain time, you'll celebrate together. To let you know, they'll send you a letter.
      (However, I would have this count as an event that last 6 PM - 10 PM, or something like that. Once the event is over, it's 10 PM, so you can't celebrate with multiple partners and have to choose carefully.)
    • Your spouse will celebrate with you when you come home in the evening, like in the HM/SoS games. In the morning, they'll tell you to come home at a certain time to celebrate with them.
    • The town will throw you a surprise party in the Community Center. You'll get an invite in the mail the morning of, telling you to be there at a certain time.
      (Celebrating with your spouse would be tacked on, so if you're married, there's a second part of the event with your spouse.)

I'd love to hear other ideas! I can't imagine I'm the only one who finds it weird we don't have a birthday.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
      Arlem likes this.
    • Kurachi84

Kurachi84 Cosmic Narwhal

i like this idea
      maybe get something expensive or rare, something that helps a lot, when you have done the Community Center
      and maybe a verrrrrry small chance of your wife/husband to give you something really expensive or rare

i don't know what the most expensive and helpful items are yet, but if you know, you get it (a stardrop? an item that instantly heals health and energy?)
      but only once, and so rare, that the rarest thing in the game now, seems like a regular item
      maybe add another condition that would be to have 10 hearts with all people, plus your wife/husband having 12 hearts

but even without my idea, i'd love to see a character Birthday, yes :)

the event at home, would need to be a cinematic or event area, as you don't wanna suffer from exhaustion after 2 AM for your own birthday
      and of course your parents would send money, because they don't know what your interests are anymore, since you moved there
      .... yeah, money seems the best answer when you don't know
      maybe the first birthday would give 1000g, and the rest 500g or even 250g... or a birthday cake, which does decent healing
      maybe shops and such would give you a discount? not 10% or something, just a 5% would be nice
      maybe joja won't, so that we see how greedy they are :p

gummywyrms likes this.
      • DarkJustice

DarkJustice Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I open my computer for write that idea and you write that first. I played Harvest Moon too and I want to see my birthday party. May be Clint give me a some diamonds :rofl:

gummywyrms likes this.
        • gummywyrms

gummywyrms Pangalactic Porcupine

I think it'd be fun to have it be dependent on your progress since your last birthday, similar to the system with grandpa's candles, but annually.
          The game could track your earnings, experience earned (even if you're at max experience), maybe even stuff like buildings built and fish caught to track your progress since your last birthday. For reaching certain milestones, you'd get points, and depending on your points, your parents would give you more money, or possibly even rare items.
          So if you were really successful since your last birthday, their letter would be something like, "We're so proud of the progress you've made in the past year, so we wanted to get you something extra special for your birthday!"
          Of course they still love you if you don't do great, but if you do really well, they want to reward it.

• Kurachi84

Kurachi84 Cosmic Narwhal

i agree, that's way better :)
            the more progress you made, the better items/money you get, makes sense

• MacMakoShark

MacMakoShark Poptop Tamer

This is an idea ive been dying to be implemented, it would just add a lot more incentive to play for a long time. It would also be fun if you could be given a list of items from the game when you start a character, and you choose items you love, like, dislike and hate. Depending on the heart level someone has with you they can give you an item you hate, and the higherup you are the more loved items showed up. Maybe if you get all the villagers to max hearts they give you a stardrop to celebrate?

• Kurachi84

Kurachi84 Cosmic Narwhal

oh, that sounds nice :D if it's not hard to make, it'd be a great addition
                and for existing characters, you'd have to fill it in as soon as you get out of bed, i guess