Mob Plant Based Lifeforms

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Robotoh, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Robotoh

Robotoh Orbital Explorer

Plantlife.png
    So this would serve two functions.
    1. Several of these would be scattered around the universe and act like regular plants, get nuts and seeds, plant fiber and red petals, the usual stuff.
    2. They would sometimes come to life and be either friendly or hostile to the player, randomly based on the planet they were spawned on. If friendly, they would either ignore the player to sprinkle a healing buff on the player. If hostile, they would launch poisons or other plant-based attacks at the player.
    Just to add variety. Seems strange that Florans are the only sentient plants. (That I've encountered.)

2. RainDreamer

RainDreamer Existential Complex

I am just wondering how florans are going to deal with them. Florans are supposed to be able to control plants.

Cloudhopper and Robotoh like this.
  3. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

Maybe they react to florans differently and will act neutral rather than straight up hostile. or something like that... I'm not a botanist, so this is not really my area of interest.

(nice sprites btw Robotoh)

Robotoh likes this.
  4. Robotoh

Robotoh Orbital Explorer

They would just be friendly unless provoked to Florans.

5. Fibriel Solaer

Fibriel Solaer Space Kumquat

We're limited by the requirement that all races play the same in Starbound. Just because Florans in general can control plants et al doesn't mean that every single Floran (i.e. the player) can do so. To be honest, guys, that's kind of a racist mindset, and reminds me of back when every Native American character was a spirit-walking tomahawk-tossing loincloth-wearing caveman.

6. Robotoh

Robotoh Orbital Explorer

Except Native Americans are real and Florans are imaginary. You can't be racist against an imaginary race.

7. RainDreamer

RainDreamer Existential Complex

You can. It is just that people doesn't care because they are imaginary and no one real get hurt. Though it can be very limiting to character development when a whole species is only defined by a single characteristic.

And I think this should be left until later on when we get to know more about what each species bonus will be, so we can look at how balance things are. For now let just assume they will be hostile toward floran, cause floran can only speak with non-sentient plants, and these things as a primitive mind that can refuse orders, or some sort.

Jareix Cryvix and Robotoh like this.
  8. Sirrobert

Sirrobert Big Damn Hero

I think it's more stereotyping than racism.
    Also it's an awesome skill to have

9. SleepySquidd

SleepySquidd Tragically Magic Hands

How is the idea racist when it's literally one of their abilities to control plants? That's like saying its racist people in Minnesota are used to the cold.

Robotoh likes this.
  10. Robotoh

Robotoh Orbital Explorer

Being racist is an awesome skill?

11. Aeronaut

Aeronaut Pangalactic Porcupine

I actually rather like the idea of ents/trees/plants that come alive when you attempt to harvest them.

As far as the idea of having Florans in particular able to make them non-aggressive goes, why not just attach that to the Floran armor instead of the race itself? The developers have stated the intent to differentiate the races by their armor effects, and I for one would think that having plant life side with you while wearing a Floran suit/guise might be neat.

Jareix Cryvix and Robotoh like this.
  12. Sirrobert

Sirrobert Big Damn Hero

No I was thinking more about controlling plants

13. Jareix Cryvix

I kind of agree with Aeronaut, maybe a certain type backpack or something releases a
    Pheromone that relaxes the plants for harvesting. As for florans, maybe the plants will only attack them if the florans attempt to harvest them. Normally, the plants would actively chase off other races and non-plant mobs if they come near. (Or run away... That'd be cool too.)

Robotoh likes this.
  14. Mighty Archemedes

Mighty Archemedes Phantasmal Quasar

Kind of like carnivorous plants here on Earth.

Here's the thing about them. Whether it applies to Starbound or not, I don't know; but carnivorous plants are exclusively trappers. Pitcher plants lure in insects with their sweet smell, then let them slide in and get digested. Venus fly traps wait for their nerve-equivalents to be triggered by pressure, from a fruit fly or other small creature, then engage extremely-metabolically-costly muscle-equivalents to grab the fly and again digest it. The catch is, this is not an efficient way for a plant to gain nutrition, it was a desperation move from resource-shoddy environments like swampland. Thus, you only really run into carnivorous plants in areas where there's almost nothing to get from the soil or sun.

Now, as far as Florans go, they're probably as likely in the real world as the Glitch are. However, it would be nice if the carnivorous plants showed up in desolate environments, like swamp and wetlands. That way we would know what to look for.

Robotoh likes this.
  15. Jareix Cryvix

Or... Maybe they could possibly sort of mini bosses triggered by fake chests or something like that. Found only in extreme environments, these killer weeds could possibly lure explorers in with a fake chest or npc. Then other spring up, trap them and try to kill them with killer vines, or even just swallow them whole and act like a living dungeon! Something along these lines would make a pretty cool mod or addition.
    (I would make the mod myself, but I'm still struggling with using the new .patch system rather than dirty editing. I have no idea what to do if i want to make a new item...)