1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Plans for post release content

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Tiy, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Durza

Durza Void-Bound Voyager

Awesome! Good to know there are plans to expand for quite some time after release. :love:

FelixFB likes this.
  2. S'now Face - Chamcham

S'now Face - Chamcham 2.7182818284590...

THIS. IS. AWESOME!!

3. Sox

Sox Aquatic Astronaut

Ahhhh yeeeeaaaah!! ;)

4. Admiral CherryTurnover

Admiral CherryTurnover Cosmic Narwhal

Though I've heard you mention this somewhere else before, I am satisfied to the utmost with your more official and direct message on the forums to confirm the whispers and apparent uncertainty.
    I look forward to your next big tease, so that I may bask in the spoils of knowledge that you allow us to take with little effort.
    I say, I just cannot fathom what to be in store from the upcoming gameplay video....yes,quite!

5. mrpenguin7

mrpenguin7 Aquatic Astronaut

Can you be any more specific than that? As someone coming from Terraria, I'm fairly concerned on this issue (and I think others may be as well). Are we talking longer than Terraria? I understand you can't update forever, and the duration of updates will depend on popularity. But Terraria was updated for less than a year, and there were a lot of plans to continue updates despite the abrupt stop in development, and the fact that it's an unfinished game. Any hesitation I have to buy this game is 100% due to that.

6. Probably something like you can't leave the game. Ever.

dragontech, Breather, Ner and 4 others like this.
  7. Guiyran

Guiyran Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Tiy once stated that he hoped to keep the main team on starbound for about a year doing constant updates. After that year he wanted to put the small team that was doing weekly updates in charge of keeping everything rolling for as long as people stayed interested.

mrpenguin7 likes this.
  8. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

Sounds epic! I just hope it actually happens.

9. St Fonz

St Fonz Existential Complex

Tiy once stated? As in he stated in this thread? o_O

10. Baradrim

Baradrim Big Damn Hero

I seriously hope this won't end up like minecraft is today with jeb adding crappy updates every half a year which only make the game only more unfair to newbies on SMP
    Come on, first enchantments, potions, then this beacon...
    They turn older players into indestructible freaking... things!
    You had a chance to defeat somebody with better armor back then...

11. Camz

Camz Existential Complex

brilliant news! thanks dude!

12. Bamseper

Bamseper Ketchup Robot

That's awesome! Sounds very thought out. I can't wait to meet the secondary team. Will there be texture pack support (Like in Minecraft)? And modding support?
    If I wan't to install a mod or a texture pack I don't wanna hav to mess around with the game files like in Terraria.

13. Vapor Horologium Corpus

Vapor Horologium Corpus Weight of the Sky

sounds like you really have the development patterns for this game all figured out and also good to see that in game content will be able to be made without needing to be a good modder.

Axe Garian and PoroCYon like this.
  14. Greccen

Greccen Starship Captain

Nice,

But i'd be happy to pay for fleshed out DLC if it adds to the meta game

15. H-Alo

H-Alo Phantasmal Quasar

Wow. I think I'm getting addicted to posts about the game. But this is actually awesome.
    And if this game IS true to it's word (not saying it won't be), I'd probably lose my social life.
    Wait, that's a bad thing. Mental note - Don't get too addicted.

PoroCYon and Gumdrop Meadowz like this.
  16. kevin

kevin Space Spelunker

be very very careful using the word "always" tiy..even with the heaps of content released in terreria post release people STILL felt super entitled to infinite updates,and there was no promise of updates as long as the game was being played there.its very risky making promises like that....further more...if you dont give us a solid release date today..i will reinstall diablo 3 and force my gf to play it for upwards of 3 hours.as you can imagine this is the worse kind of torture..soo.....do the right thing ok??

17. PoroCYon

PoroCYon Void-Bound Voyager

Well, in game developement, you'll never know when the game is finished for release. Same with my (failing) Terraria mod. I tought over 9000 times that it was ready for release, but then i found a bug, or something that just had to be added. It is'nt ever sure that it will be released 'near the end of the year'. Maybe it's already optimized for release tomorrow, or maybe in March 2013. No one knows.

But, i agree what you said about the infinite updates.

Sorry to dissapoint you, but go now and reinstall Diabolo 3 :p

18. eliminate1337

eliminate1337 Void-Bound Voyager

Exactly what I wanted to hear. Dedicated weekly update team + large content updates. Perfect.

19. Nesden

Nesden Cosmic Narwhal

This would be pretty... AWESOME!

I see a lot of games that stop updating their games. This just makes me want to buy this game even more!

20. iliekmudkips

iliekmudkips Big Damn Hero

Oh, Another thing I wanted to ask but totally forgotten: Will people from the smaller team that will work on the game after you're all good and done, will they have worked on this game at all before that point? Do you already have the set members of the team in mind, and can you really trust them with the game you've put your heart into? Not to say they might be bad at what they do, But I for one also find little nitpicks when someones doing something I believe I know better then them and get all huffy about it haha.