1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Plans for post release content

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Tiy, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Brother Lame

Brother Lame Pangalactic Porcupine

Pre-order betas are a bit of a dodgy subject really, the entire point of a beta test is to iron out the remaining bugs and have lots of people scouring the game for bugs, exploits, balance issues and other problems before the product is officially released. It's not something that should really be bundled with a pre-order, in my opinion at least.

And alternative is to release a sort of tech demo before or alongside the start of the pre-order period. In this you would be able to basically mess around with some of the mechanics of the game, and try out some of the gameplay that is on offer. As an example of what this could include, water tanks and tools that aid in the movement of said water, as well as a demonstration of the water physics might be one thing that could be done. Also a small area in which the player can construct some stuff out of basic materials, and maybe sample the combat using a range of basic weapons from the various different weapon factories, against some test drones or something. It could be presented as an Orientation/Training Suite on the Space Station, and include a briefing room which would basically give you the basic proverbial 'blurb' of the plot. In short, something that literally shows a customer what they are buying without giving too much away.

Axe Garian, Nicolas, Bombzero and 2 others like this.
  2. PoroCYon

PoroCYon Void-Bound Voyager

I think the mods will be written in C++, as StarBound is also written in C++ (i think)

hope this helped!

3. Gumdrop Meadowz

Gumdrop Meadowz Cosmic Narwhal

You being so nice, Tiy, honestly scares me a bit. See, I've been hurt before. Dang Spore. That game was the best thing imaginable... up to the day it came out.

Okay, I've put myself out on the limb now. I've put my faith in that this will be as awesome as I've built up in my mind!

Dark, Urist McDwarf and ragingrhino like this.
  4. TheMurumasa

TheMurumasa Existential Complex

This is a great method, lets hope it is financially possible.

Byron Banquo likes this.
  5. Marsgreekgod

Marsgreekgod Big Damn Hero

Well there ever be paid updates? I'm not asking this as a bad thing, I'm willing to pay a fair price for good dlc.

Dark and Chrism like this.
  6. Sirnak

Sirnak Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Your plan, like Nirn said, looks pretty solid. :)

Here's a question for you: do you already have this second team formed and ready for duty or do you rather think waiting before recruiting? And will the second team be as close to the community as you guys are right now or will they be ninja workers? :D

Axe Garian likes this.
  7. Latecat

Latecat Subatomic Cosmonaut

The question is - will it actually work?

I personally have my suspicions, but I hope it works.

8. Chrism

Chrism Space Hobo

This is great news!
    Now we just need a release date! ;-)

9. Dice - AV

Dice - AV Astral Cartographer

Tiy, I love you so much... Just... Take my love and do what you want with it <3

10. KwickPhyre

KwickPhyre Industrial Terraformer

Another (AWESOME) bombshell...

11. Panda

Panda Big Damn Hero

Sorry I got confused, will the new updates have to be bought each time something is added. Like for the update 2.1 you would pay 5.00, I hope not.

Thanks if you answer :D

12. Swinburn

Swinburn Phantasmal Quasar

This game must have a catch. Everything is too good to be true.

13. Breather

Breather Oxygen Tank

So... the updates will NEVER end? THIS GAME SHALL GO ON FOREVER!

Dark likes this.
  14. playerjerry2

playerjerry2 Phantasmal Quasar

when do u guys think the release date shall be. besides near the end of the year. i am saying a estimate on a day.

15. Dareski

Dareski Void-Bound Voyager

This sounds like an amazing idea! :)
    I'm really happy with what you chose to do with the game ^_^

16. BurningMercury

BurningMercury Title Not Found

I am blown away with the care and attention payed to us the community from you guys! your incredible!

edited for my bad spelling

Dark likes this.
  17. Guiyran

Guiyran Scruffy Nerf-Herder

They can only ballpark it right now. "End of the year" is the best your going to get for a while. There is no way they can estimate a perticular day or week when they can't even garuntee end of the year as a sure thing.

Axe Garian likes this.
  18. Starheaven07

Starheaven07 Pyxis Tube

Exactly what we've come to expect from Chucklefish over the months. A huge difference compared to the "abandon a game and release it on consoles nearly a year later" Red gave us. This is much more satisfying and newsworthy than the other announcement today.

Dark likes this.
  19. lickmyxxx

lickmyxxx Big Damn Hero

Dear Tiy:
    You are the best guy i've ever met. Unfortunatly i haven't met you ):
    <3

20. Ghoschief

Ghoschief Phantasmal Quasar

Thank you. It's good to know that they game will have constant updates to make sure it never stales.

Starheaven07 likes this.