1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Plans for post release content

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Tiy, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Liquidmane

Liquidmane Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Is that even possible for a 2D game? Sorry i haven't seen anything like it :p

2. Fengrich

Fengrich Big Damn Hero

It is. Terraria had plenty of it.

3. Kujar3

Kujar3 Existential Complex

This I heard today on TBs mailbox here:
    (Time 3:50)
    So it's nice to know that you are following todays standards. Can't wait for this game to come out! Nice to hear that you will have second team only for starbound. This game will have nice future I quess.

4. Ilana

Ilana Void-Bound Voyager

I have the same question. Tiy, what about preorder?

5. Zeklo

Zeklo Heliosphere

And the more reasons to like starbound!

6. iliekmudkips

iliekmudkips Big Damn Hero

When will the console port be coming out? Just kidding.

Are server's going to be 'complex' in the sense that we need to port forward, can we just use hamachi, or neither of the two? I know the games constantly updating and this may change, but if I don't ask now I'll forget lol

Oh, And how do you feel about some of the devs, i.e mostly bartwe streaming a lot on twitch? Do you think its a waste of time, Or do you think it helps with coding and such?

Trainzack likes this.
  7. Haunt

Haunt Pangalactic Porcupine

Well, this just sounds absolutely delightful.
    Will the server software be complex, or will it be like Terraria's bare-bones one?

AlphaMongoose likes this.
  8. hazzary453

hazzary453 Big Damn Hero

I so agree!!! thank you for all your work to this game tiy and team, it is not an understatement when i say this is my perfect game, sand box procedural generation, a plot and story line good support for mods, block by block building, the list goes on!!!!:geek::coffee::DD :up::yeahhhh::love:

9. M C

M C Parsec Taste Tester

tiny lil updates? fudge yeah >: D
    Tiy, I love you.

Tom Baker likes this.
  10. Surfpup

Surfpup Space Spelunker

Oh yes, thank you for posting this Tiy. Modding support is absolutely important, and I look forward to seeing how continuous updates will work out. I spent a lot of time building a modding platform for Terraria, so I have an idea of how much work it takes to get it right.

I would like to know, what language will mods be written in?

Axe Garian likes this.
  11. Brother Lame

Brother Lame Pangalactic Porcupine

Oh crumbs, this sounds most excellent. Most excellent indeed.

If all goes as planned, this sounds like something I'll not be able to put down.

12. Noble

Noble Subatomic Cosmonaut

13. Darkbynight

Darkbynight Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Thanks Tiy, this is great news. An official API is something very few of these games have. Usually they are only moddable by the grace of their amazing communities. :D
    I can't believe I hadn't even made an account here yet, I've been following since the Starbound initial announcement. o_O

14. Tiy

Tiy Lead Developer Chucklefish

About preorders, I'm still looking for a perfect way to do the whole preorder thing. I want people to know exactly what theyre getting before they put down any cash though.

15. Tiy

Tiy Lead Developer Chucklefish

I know Bartwe finds it super motivational, so definitely not a waste of time!

Axe Garian, IceKing and Bombzero like this.
  16. How will land on the planet?
    (Sorry for the translation. Instead, you have fans in Russia):poptop::virorb::ssssssssss:

17. Nirn

Nirn Existential Complex

Woo!, this looks like a solid plan. :DD

18. Keirndmo

Keirndmo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hm that's a fairly interesting idea and it seems like it will work out fairly well.
    Can't wait to see how this turns out!

19. Kalvuric

Kalvuric Big Damn Hero

Glad to have seen this after the nonsense going on in Terraria-land. I hope Starbound will end up a bit like Minecraft where we eventually get a solid game, and then small updates gradually accumulate on top of that, rather than everything (and everyone) getting dropped like a sack of hot space pototoes. I appreciate the communication we (the entitled fans) have gotten from Starbound's devs so far, just don't promise too much and fail to deliver, or the goodwill shall rubber-band and turn back on you. I've seen an indie dev cut-and-run before, and its not pretty (not talking about Terraria btw.)

Please keep up the good work, everyone wants to see Starbound turn out great! :)

20. kreekgod

kreekgod Phantasmal Quasar

i like the idea that the game will be continued to be supported and updated and added too for many years, however i am concerned as to the feasibility of such an endever

afterall, it is impossible to continue support for something forever, it might take years but eventually, people are going to want to move on, given the life-cycle of some games, this can sometimes be long before the players are done with the game (see: neverwinter nights, there are people STILL playing it regularly)

what i personally would like, is just to make sure that the devteam doesn't just suddenly up and abandon the project (much like what happened with terraria, there was a massive update and then nothing else... ever), we should at-least be told a month or two in advance if the ongoing support is ending (this should be on the offical website, and the offical forums, when it happens

in anycase, the more i see of starbound, the more i like, i cant wait for some kind of release of well... anything
    a preorder beta would be awsome, as for how to make sure people know what they are buying, try big bold letters saying "THIS IS WHAT YOU GET!" followed by a list

simple, and straitforward

Destro and Necrovore like this.