Planets/moons need to feel more different between each other

Discussion in 'Planets and Environments' started by lobsterbash, Jan 23, 2018.

1. lobsterbash

lobsterbash Poptop Tamer

I have only been playing this game for a couple weeks, and honestly, already all planets of the same type feel the same, and all "lunar moons" feel the same. Here are some possible reasons I have come up with for why this is so:
    • Planets are too colonized/populated by humanoid races. Realistically, settlements, labs, merchants, etc would be much more rare. Finding any of the above stopped feeling special after the first few planets.
    • Microbiomes are a good idea, but I think they should be more of a planet-wide biome. We would expect to find an entire planet of giant mushrooms and no trees, for example (but mushrooms in different conditions - wet, dry, cold, etc). For each planet to have multiple microbiomes... unless there are thousands of microbiomes they all overlap too much and planets start blending together. Same applies to background art.
    • There is nowhere near enough monster variety for a game that sells itself on infinite worlds. The degree of creativity gone into the pokemon menagerie is a bit disappointing. I would think that, similar to the biome issue I mention above, there would be much less overlap between planets.
    • Lunar moons all feel exactly the same. I guess this isn't as important because we just use and abuse them for a few minutes here and there.
    Generally, I like the block variety in the game. The different colors, themes, etc of the blocks give appropriate feels of distinction, and really can't be criticized too heavily because there are less possibilities for variety in reality.

As the game stands, it really feels like the entire universe was seeded by random humanoid/monster life from one world about 10 million years ago and given some time for local adaptation. Nothing is very different.

STCW262 likes this.