Mob Planets, Biomes and "Pokemon"

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Taitinator, Oct 22, 2012.

?

Should there be biome specif mobs?

1. Yes thats a great idea!

62.2%
  2. No thats an awful idea!

2.7%
  3. Its an ok idea.

32.4%
  4. No I dont like that idea much.

2.7%
  1. Shippo

Shippo Existential Complex

2. Alternal

Alternal Existential Complex

I've always been one to travel around solo, but maybe if they could do things like this they'd be more useful, and I might even consider a companion. If I find something cool enough then maybe hahah.
    Also, like in Terraria, there is no doubt that there will be biome specific creatures, they've pretty much been announced from the beginning. :cool:

3. Hannah

Hannah Astral Cartographer

I like the idea of evolution to a point...
    I rather not have it like pokemon or digimon, where one minute its a tiny lil' thing and the next its a dino or a mecha:geek:
    I would like it to grow like it was a real living creature! But what they could do is allow you to mutate it in the labs, or possibly combine species and create new ones. That would be absolutely awesome :rofl:

4. Alternal

Ectobiology all the way. Let's cross bread some penguins and lions! :lod:

Shippo likes this.
  5. Hannah

Hannah Astral Cartographer

Pengions O_O

6. Shippo

Shippo Existential Complex

DeadlyLuvdisc likes this.
  7. Alternal

PRECISELY.
    Imagine an army of those....

8. DeadlyLuvdisc

DeadlyLuvdisc Oxygen Tank

Augh, I feel a race suggestion coming on. What next? Samurays-- Hybrid of samurai and manta ray. The aquatic feudal japan race.
    Oh dear lord, I'll just die if somebody suggests it. I'll do the job myself if it gets more approval than my own race suggestion.

9. Taitinator

Taitinator Big Damn Hero

haha I love how this breeding combinations are going. Just one thing though, by pokemon style I only want that to be the catching and using in battle but not the whole battle scenes or evolution. I mention the battle scenes in another post to be similar to terraria 2d scolling battles and as for evolution I dont want pets to morph into something completely diffrent I just want them to gain in strenth and become more useful. As you first get a pet it is not very loyal and wont help in battle all of the time and even when it does the damage it deals will not be very considerable. But as you use the pet it gains loyalty and its health, damage, attack rate all increase making the pet stronger and more loyal the longer you have it.

10. Tea Mate

Tea Mate Existential Complex

Don't overdo with the pokemon part. It's starbound after all. Not another pokemon game.
    Also, i hate it when you have to feed and care for your pets. It just adds a ton of frustrating and useless things. And even when you do, those stupid "pets" don't do what you want half of the time. I have never seen a pets system executed well yet. Not in one game.
    How about this, they're called Kenshi:
    [​IMG]
    http://might-and-magic.ubi.com/heroes-6/en-gb/game/creatures/sanctuary/index.aspx (clicked on the kenshi tab)
    I'm sorry, i just couldn't resist :cry:

11. Taitinator

Taitinator Big Damn Hero

yeah I dont want to go over the top with the pokemon but its the only game I can think of which you catch pets and use them in battle. Thats the only pokemon thing I want to have in starbound - pets that aid you in battle and possibly in other areas but these are not as important (I mentioned in another post about certain pets giving buffs and debuffs for thing like movement speed ect)

12. Tea Mate

Well, hunters have pets in WoW. And in Terraria you can have a bunny pet. Also, all the "adventurequest" games have pets. Even in "Black and White" you have a pet(the only game where i actually liked the pet system was "Black and White 2". It was mixed together with a morality system). Actually, there is a ton of games in which you can have pets.

13. Taitinator

Taitinator Big Damn Hero

wow didnt realise so many games had pets that you could use in battle. Do they level up and learn new abilities or anything like that because I like those sort of pet features althought im not sure if that would fit in with the starbound style. So long as they dont go to far with pet features making them the focus of the game I wouldnt mind too much.

14. Tea Mate

Well, Black and White had a morality system, so your pet evolved according to how good/evil you were and how you treated it.
    In WoW i think that your pet levels up too, though i've never actually played WoW much so i can't say for certain.
    In Terraria you could just have a super cool bunneh which didn't need any upgrading, because it was already cool as it was :D
    I'm not sure about adventurequest pets, because, again, as with WoW, i never actually played it much.

I'm pretty sure there are many more games with pet systems, just those were the first ones that came to mind.

15. Taitinator

Taitinator Big Damn Hero

Well now that I know thats there seem to be a lot of games with similar pet systems and features.. why not be diffrent? The pet combination idea is my first but could easily get out of hand and the combinations would be somewhat odd but none the less exciting to see what you can come up with, and since every animal is procedurally generated (I think but not 100%) no two would be the same. Post away with your ideas on the pet system.

§hifter likes this.
  16. Tea Mate

Yes, every game adds something unique to every system it uses. Otherwise people would just call it a rip-off.
    How unique and different from other pet systems you can get however is another question. But remember - more unique isn't always better. Sometimes it's actually better to go with a regular system slightly modified to fit everything. Of course, I'm not saying that you shouldn't try to be unique. Just I've seen people overdo some things just for the sake of being unique, not to make the game more fun.

17. Taitinator

Taitinator Big Damn Hero

People obviously do the same thing for a reason - it works and it works well. But since starbound is still in devolopment and future updates are possible I wouldnt mind too much if the devs experimented with the pet system so long as each update wasnt too glitchy. This would benefit the community as we could test new features and see if it worked well or not and would also help devs as there would be lots of feedback on how well things work and if there are glitches the community will find them , saving lots of time for the devs.

octosquid and §hifter like this.
  18. octosquid

octosquid Space Hobo

Yes having pet combining would be so epic but could get OP if not limited. Also i love the idea of having a pet companion that i could use in battle because i love going round in a squad with me, my friends and our pets. Good job :)

Taitinator likes this.
  19. Taitinator

Taitinator Big Damn Hero

thx and yeah going round with a squad of pets would be cool. Hopefully tiy will release a demonstration vid of pets soon.

20. Pets are confirmed already, but I don't know whether they can grow up or not.
    Otherwise, the biome-specific stuff is already confirmed too from what i know.