Mob Planets, Biomes and "Pokemon"

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Taitinator, Oct 22, 2012.

?

Should there be biome specif mobs?

1. Yes thats a great idea!

62.2%
  2. No thats an awful idea!

2.7%
  3. Its an ok idea.

32.4%
  4. No I dont like that idea much.

2.7%
  1. Taitinator

Taitinator Big Damn Hero

I`ve been interested by this game for a while now since terraria has stopped updating and minecrafts release has slowed the updates down and one thing I like a lot is how you can catch mobs as use them in battle. But I want there to be a range of diffrent mobs that you can catch. Since each planet is diffrent including varied biomes I think the mobs available should also be varied. I was hoping that you can trade these mobs and possibly give them rpg elements and a sense of life. What I mean by this is that you can feed these mobs with many diffrent things and depending on what you feed them is how they will evolve.(food can be obtained by farming or found on bushes or trees?) Back to the biome specif mobs, say a person spawned on a snowy island the mobs available to them would be polar bears and penguins rather than camels and such. By doing I think it would increase the value of pets as people would need to travel to diffrent planets or biomes to get a certain mob. Also some mobs could be better than others in certain areas or give buffs/debuffs. For example having a penguin mob could help you swim faster or breathe for longer, it could also be strong against fire mobs (could have mob types too such as fire,water,grass and so on depending on their habitat) This enforces the idea of "pokemon" and makes exploring more adventurous and exciting.

Summary of ideas

- Biome/Planet specif mobs
    - Rpg elements for mobs eg. type, level, skills
    - Trading of mobs
    - Mob buffs/debuffs

Thank you for listening to my ideas please post any suggestions or changes in the comments. Taitinator

EDIT : ok feeding seems to be a bit annoying if you had to do it constantly so feeding could be optional and give your pet a temporary buff. By pokemon style I mean catch pet and use in battle nothing else.. this is afterall starbound not pokemon. One last thing, by evolution I dont want your pet to morph into some giant killing machine I just want it to get stronger and possibly learn new abilities the longer you keep it the stronger and more loyal it gets.

Stephen.202, octosquid, Aer_ and 3 others like this.
  2. Space Core

Space Core Pangalactic Porcupine

Really neat ideas here, could really help pets feel important and give them great utility.

3. Nerhity

Nerhity Void-Bound Voyager

cool idea! would be nice to have things RPG in Starbound! (Excuse my English, I'm Portuguese, I live in Brazil and to using Google Translate)

4. Taitinator

Taitinator Big Damn Hero

thanks guys nice to get feedback and know im not the only one wanting rpg elements!

Stephen.202 likes this.
  5. Noc

Noc Guest

I'm very much hoping for a "pokemon" system like this to be a main feature in starbound

6. ChaoticGamer

ChaoticGamer Master Astronaut

lololololololololol hohohhhohhohoh.oooohhh:mwahaha: ....u got me there pretty good. Nice idea, but the feeding parts...u know if you have pet tiger, they eat meat...when they eat meat, they are different story. Pokemon they don't show another pokemon eat another pokemon that is the trouble. So we want to make it little bit more reality. Yet it still ok for me say its ok idea.

7. DeadlyLuvdisc

DeadlyLuvdisc Oxygen Tank

I'm not sure about this idea. I don't think there should be any biome or planet specific mobs-- All planets and biomes should spawn all the same mobs all the time.
    If I ever see any new mobs when I visit a new planet or find a new biome, I'll just rage quit and ask Tiy for my money back.

8. ChaoticGamer

yea that is true, but this is where Tiy or the other developers may re-in-constructed the suggestion make it more then unbalance suggestion if this pass.

9. Taitinator

Taitinator Big Damn Hero

Thanks for the feedback, By feeding i meant having an item in your inventory and say right clicking and feed so it just disapears from your inventory and stat bonuses ,if any, are applied. Although this wouldnt be as realistic as virtually animating it the sense of life is still there as food is still needed ( like a hunger bar in minecraft for example?) and animating all the mobs with every kind of food would take ages. The idea behind having diffrent mobs on diffrent planets could also create a more realistic environment but means not everyone could easily have the same pets and trading and a sort of "status" would emerge between players and clans. Having planet/biome specific mobs would also create a meaning to travel to other biomes or planets. Why travel to another planet/biome if the only diffrenence is the looks and there is no real insentive to go?

uHu, Stephen.202 and octosquid like this.
  10. ChaoticGamer

are you talking about the pokey'data thing? or the pokey'wiki? lol

11. Taitinator

Taitinator Big Damn Hero

Not sure what you are asking but my previous post was just a general response to everything else posted.

Stephen.202 likes this.
  12. ChaoticGamer

U know that little red thing look like Ipad, when scanning the pokemon, I think its call pokey'dex...I am really confused what name for that little scanner name.

13. Taitinator

Taitinator Big Damn Hero

The stats and basic info about each pet will be in the style of the pokedex thing (example picture attached) but the overall feed system would be by right clicking your pet in a seperate pet inventory that I think already exists and selecting a feed option which would open an inventory that filters out your carried inventory to just food that your pet can eat. You then just select certain foods and they disapear from your inventory and a message could appear if any stat changes happen to your pet. (an example of this is also in the other picture just with food items instead of potions) Note that I dont want it to be an exact replica of the pokemon backpack and pokedex as it would be nice to have its own GUI and style.
    pokemon-pokedex[1].jpg imagesCAV1P60T.jpg

Stephen.202 likes this.
  14. Taitinator

Taitinator Big Damn Hero

Now that tiy released a build video it shows the player inventory so now hopefully you can understand how food just gets taken from the inventory and stats are applied to your pet. thx anyway.

Stephen.202 likes this.
  15. Shippo

Shippo Existential Complex

It could be pretty cool. It would definitely add a whole new dimension of gameplay.

I'm not so sure about the "Biome/Planet specif mobs" thing though. It could be okay, but it could be bad if taken too far. Maybe if the mobs aren't too, too rare. I dunno.

16. DeadlyLuvdisc

I'll restate this one more time: This is a horrendously bad idea. All biomes should have the SAME mobs. If I go to a new planet or biome and see anything new, I'll just hate this game. There should not be any variety, at all. Also, firey biomes should NOT be more likely to have firey mobs. That's just a terrible idea. Icey mobs should be just as likely to spawn on icey planets as on firey planets, obviously.
    Also, Pokemon is a terrible game series, and I don't have a Tumblr page that is all about it. Any suggestions that make this game anything like Pokemon should just die, since it automatically makes them bad ideas. For example, there should not be cats in the game, since Meowth is a Pokemon. Obviously.

17. Shippo

Isn't the new idea here (Biome/Planet specif mobs) that a rare mob would be specific to only certain somewhat specific places... like a rare-ish fire mob would only appear in 2 out of 10 fire biomes? :confused:

18. DeadlyLuvdisc

Nope. He suggested three things.
    Different mobs in different biomes (already confirmed to be in the game, thus my sarcasm)
    Something similar to Pokemon (which is best left to a Mod, not actually in the core game)
    Feeding your captured mobs (just a hassle and a complete pain, why even add this at all?)

uHu likes this.
  19. Shippo

So he did... I guess I didn't wanna believe he was suggesting something that was pretty obviously already confirmed... o_O
    I mean, even Terraria had biome specific mobs. You didn't have demons spawning in the desert.

20. Taitinator

Taitinator Big Damn Hero

The whole idea of feeding pets, yes seems like a hastle so I rethought the whole concept. The initial idea was to feed them and depending on what you fed them was how they evolved. So my new idea was to have a sort of experiment in which you could breed diffrent pets together and get a new procedurally generated one with similar features of both the pets of which they were bred from. Also by similar to pokemon it dont want it to be like gotta catch em all and stuff like that. I would prefer just to be able to capture and use in battle but not cut scene battles like in pokemon but something that just follows behind you and attacks in the terraria style fights. I admit the feeding idea may over complicate it but I still like the idea of a kind of evolution / breeding to combine pets features.

Stephen.202 likes this.