Planets becoming Pollutted

Discussion in 'Planets and Environments' started by Ginganx, May 13, 2013.

1. Ginganx

Ginganx Star Wrangler

All that junk goes somewhere.

Well, basically my idea is that some planets could have spots on them (not all planets, just some) that are very barren, ugly and full of junk. As a player it would be your job to try and clean these spots up, as they make the world look very displeasing. I'm not sure what would be used to clean these spots, but it could just be something simple like Water (or combine a bar of Soap with water to make Soapy water). There could be rewards involved, maybe even a Side-quest. I'm sure it could effect the robot-like race in some way.

I appreciate all responses, good or bad! I know this may seem a bit useless, but it sounds like a nice >little< feature to me.

-=St☆rships were meant to FLLLLLYYYY!=-

ChaseNeiz and enigmatic fluff like this.
  2. Well about your suggestion I agree with part... I would see this a "junkyard planets" as a biome DEVs could work out, where you can find certain unique stuff / monsters and have also NPC quests as another planet. It's a question of variety of content. ;)

enigmatic fluff and Ginganx like this.
  3. enigmatic fluff

enigmatic fluff Big Damn Hero

Me likey immersion. This could be a lot of fun, really!

Could use some type of air scrubber to slowly but surely relieve the atmosphere of concentrated chemicals. It'd likely take several game days, lots of maintenance, etc.
    As for the general landscape, maybe some sort of terraforming centre that requires a large amount of advanced materials to operate? Water processing units? It'd take time, but the planet itself would be a pretty fitting reward, I guess!

4. irongamer

irongamer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I like the idea as it would add another whole set of mechanics with it.
    Laser mop.

There are a couple other threads with similar ideas. You may find them interesting as well. The first one has the most discussion.

Ravaging your planet for resources
    http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/ravaging-your-planet-for-resources.17828/

Ecosystem's
    http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/ecosystems.20710/

5. darkparadise

darkparadise Big Damn Hero

i think this might eventually be implemented but it might go along with the terraforming system. Since it seems to me that they would be very similar (but pollution slower)

6. Witness

Witness Giant Laser Beams

I have no problem with some junkyard planets, especially if the junk would be also real items, furniture, decorations etc, not just 'junk blocks'. I am not sure about cleaning the spot though, especially for rewards. I'd rather have it as a biome coded as in Terraria - dependant on what you have on screen. Enough of damaged, decorational, 'junky-yardish' structures in one area makes it devoid of live (shriveled trees, no grass etc) with exception of some scavenger animals. Take the structures/tiles out, bring some different kind of them - biome changes.

Axelth likes this.
  7. I Said No

I Said No Cosmic Narwhal

The comparisons to Terraria biomes got me to thinking, it reminded me of the Meteors where Meteor Heads (a slow moving flying burning creature) would start appearing until you had cleaned up the meteor mess. What if, with sufficient pollution, some kind of trash/sludge monsters begin to appear? The last thing you'd want when building a nice factory house on a planet is for horrible sludge demons to start coming out of the woodwork because you didn't protect the environment and now there's Toxic Hell Gas all up in the atmosphere and half of the planet's forests have melted.

ChaseNeiz, irongamer and Ginganx like this.
  8. Ginganx

Ginganx Star Wrangler

That's a great comparison! I never thought about monsters appearing, but now that you mention it, it would be even better with them. :up:

9. ikangurameGG

ikangurameGG Space Penguin Leader

Junkyard planets sound pretty interesting..
    Probably you can get loot there, or maybe reusable materials like metal scraps that you can recycle to make machines, so you don't have to strip a planet of its resources.

Ginganx likes this.
  10. ChaseNeiz

ChaseNeiz Subatomic Cosmonaut

For there to be pollution there also needs to be population on planets! To many people on a planet creates pollution. I don't think there will be reproduction, but is there any other way to occupy a home world?

11. surguchev_gleb

surguchev_gleb Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That is an interesting idea, concerning that in this way you may be able to influence the planet. You may be able to change the content of the useable gas in the atmosphere, temperature changes due to the high pollution, mutation of the affected wildlife. That could possibly increase the planet's danger rating and radical changes in weather due to the change of chemical content in the atmosphere.

ChaseNeiz likes this.