Planetary Distress Calls/Signals

Discussion in 'Planets and Environments' started by Kaelnaia, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Kaelnaia

Kaelnaia Aquatic Astronaut

Hey all, I have what I think would be a fantastic idea and add some sort of a new way to play an open world game like this.

I could explain, but let me provide an example. it's much more fun to write. :)

Imagine you and your friends just got done raiding a planet. Your enemies lay slain, and their treasures and food now belongs to you. it was a rough battle, but you prevailed.

now, you and your friend decide to beam back up to your ships. it's time to store away your newly acquired goods, and travel to a new planet, but then..

suddenly, the ships lights begin flashing red. a piercing alarm begins to screech. you instantly recognize this as a distress signal. someone, somewhere in the wide starbound galaxy has sent out a distress signal to you, praying their call will be answered in time.

at this point, you head to your ships cockpit, and check out the details. somewhere, on a faraway Arid biome planet, a giant rocklike creature is terrorizing a group of Humans who have decided to try to cultivate the planet. Accepting this quest into your quest log, you fuel your ship, and take off at light speed.

after a long battle with a giant rock boss, he falls to you and your friend, dropping all kinds of minerals, pixels, and maybe even a few weapons. upon talking to the human that sent the distress signal, you are further rewarded with a large sum of pixels. satisfied with your work, you beam back up to your ship, ready to go on to the next planet, and await your next signal.

:) basically, it's a quest system that happens at random intervals. doesn't always have to be a giant monster either. it could be to gather supplies for a dying village, help build shelter for a crash landed settlement, things like that.

please leave your feedback here, I'm actually really excited to share this!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
    space_panda and moseythepirate like this.
  2. moseythepirate

moseythepirate Pangalactic Porcupine

I think it's a brilliant idea. It would give more structure to wandering the galaxy. Instead of choosing systems randomly, you would choose it for a purpose.

3. Kaelnaia

Kaelnaia Aquatic Astronaut

I should add that the distress calls can be turned off in the ship too, for those who just wish to explore.

Goblin. likes this.
  4. yoshiegg52

yoshiegg52 Space Hobo

I couldn't agree more with this idea... :D

I really want this game to feel almost Mass Effectish in that you can choose to help the people of the galaxy, but also have the option to ignore it all and enjoy the universe for its natural beauty...

5. Goblin.

Goblin. Space Hobo

I love this idea but i hope its not to frequent because if it happens alot im not gonna get any missions done. Im a sucker for helping people. Even digital ones

6. Thrifty K

Thrifty K Aquatic Astronaut

Yo Yo Goblin, whilst I'm sure these mad peeps love your contribution, this thread has been d-d-d-d-diggidy dead since 2013.