1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Planet Seeds: How do they work?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Katzeus, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Idenar Bwargh

Idenar Bwargh Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Steam Planet, the home of Gaben.

Spike88 likes this.
  2. RizzRustbolt

RizzRustbolt Existential Complex

No boss spoilers, it's against forum rules.

Aeon, DaviDeil and Idenar Bwargh like this.
  3. TheLoanArranger

TheLoanArranger Ketchup Robot

I am familiar with the concepts of procedural generation, yes. It was just a bad joke (which are my favorites, tbh)

4. Spike

Spike Supernova

Well.... maybe not. I mean, maybe the seed only shows the rough coordinates of the dungeons and biomes, and the layout of the dungeons might be randomly generated even with the same seed. Also, I think loot being character specific means that each race are more likely to get item that belongs to other races (or their own race, I'm not sure).

... where everything is 75% off, except you can never buy radioactive materials with a half life of 3 days.

N0bbody and Fricken Hamster like this.
  5. Katzeus

Katzeus Chucklefisherman Chucklefish

Yeah, the developers have hinted at their intentions here but there's been no official announcements re: specifically which of these features are tied to coordinates. My guess is almost everything, save loot, since they've specifically said that they want players to share 'discoveries' which I assume would mean some kickass dungeon I found. Just speculation based on what I've read, there's no way we can know for sure without more information.

6. Spike

Spike Supernova

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but minecraft seeds would make a different dungeon each time, at the same location maybe? Maybe it'll be like that for terraria Starbound as well?

7. Katzeus

10000 was just a placeholder, we'll see how many digits coordinates end up having. Keep in mind too that there are a lot of 'empty space' coordinates as well as non-landable planets like gas giants. That said, there will certainly be a brain-melting number of explorable planets to find.

8. Spike

Spike Supernova

Well, it might help a player find cool structures or dungeons, kinda like how people showcase minecraft seeds for cool stuff.

9. FrostyWolf

FrostyWolf Void-Bound Voyager

When "random" generation or content is done, the program uses a "seed" to make everything "random". Using that same seed will result in the same result every single time for anything using that seed.

When they say they will make loot "random", what they really mean is they will have a separate character (or in the case of multiplayer, server) loot seed, that will be used when generating loot and/or loot locations.

In the case of starbound where they are using a planet and x, y, z will always have the same seed, that means EVERYTHING on that planet derived from that seed will be the same, right down to every single block placement.

If you copy someone's seed in minecraft, everything is the same provide you are using the mods or no mods on the same version of minecraft, right down to every single block placement.

Rawrquaza likes this.
  10. Spike

Spike Supernova

Well ok then. But still, I suppose exploiting loots won't be THAT bad, per say.

11. Quantum

Quantum Spaceman Spiff

This Thread is a breath of fresh air thank you. I appreciate the work you put into gathering all the current information as well. Happy discussing mindful patrons.

Katzeus likes this.
  12. wicketman8

wicketman8 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Personally, while I love the idea of sharing your discoveries I want to explore a random universe so I thought: How would it be possible. I think giving the option to do a random generation might be nice as a post-release feature, so you can share your discoveries if you don't set that but if you do then you have your own universe that's completely different from everyone else's.

yellowmonkeys likes this.
  13. Mianso

Mianso Black Hole Surfer

It is not possible. The universe is made out of planets rigt? All of the possible planet seeds are held into the same universe.

14. Katzeus

Omni just gave a lot of insight into seed mechanics. It was posted here, I added it onto the OP.

Mianso likes this.
  15. Rookee

Rookee Big Damn Hero

The Universe will be different for each person. Each player will have 10 sectors each of which has a 64 bit seed. meaning there are 2^64 (or 18446744073709551616) possible sectors that could be generated. So, while it is true that the same planets will exist in different players universes the chances of them finding the same planet is very small unless you have the planets specific seed/coordinates.

That is how I understand it anyway...maybe I am wrong.

16. Katzeus

Everything you said was exactly right, aside from your first statement. The universe will be the same for each person, just mindbogglingly vast. Also, I like your avatar.

Rookee and Mianso like this.
  17. Mianso

Mianso Black Hole Surfer

So that's basically what I said.

18. Xander

Xander Spaceman Spiff

Pity they don't add one last seed variable (sector?) that can be entered by the player upon universe generation like minecraft.

Rather then one near unending universe, we would basically have a never ending string of them. It would allow every server to have their own unique cords, so no amount of wiki lookup could guide you to the planet of awesome loot.

Yes it would stifle a lot of positional data sharing.. which is why I'm assuming they wont. Yet it might encourage servers to work together to "map" their own unique universes.

yellowmonkeys likes this.
  19. Miss Andry

Miss Andry Cosmic Narwhal

so if someone could explain this to me like I'm 7

basically, all the planets on everyone's universe are the same? Like if I'm in Universe A and I go to planet 833 (just an example) and planet 833 is a planet made of candy or whatever with big hills, and then my friend is playing a completely different single player Starbound game which is Universe B and they go to planet 833... they'll see the same planet made of candy with big hills? Like exactly the same? Or is it just the theme thats the same, or just coordinates? Maybe their planet 833 is an octopus planet or something?

I'M NOT GOOD AT UNDERSTANDING

20. Mianso

Mianso Black Hole Surfer

When did pepole understand you can have different universes?
    There is ONE universe, you can call it universe A on your game and your friend can call it universe B on his but the universe is still THE SAME.
    I always thought planets coordinates are the seed of the planet but I can't tell.