Planet Map / Minimap?

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Straume21, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Straume21

Straume21 Space Hobo

For those who have commented on the servers that they wish a planet indicated whether or not it has settlements on it (which is a good idea), and for those who simply wish to get a better feel of the planet they are on, I think that a minimap or planet map, which shows an amplified view of the planet in more simplified visuals, noting the settlements, labs, and what have you, centered around the player.

2. LupusUmbrae

LupusUmbrae Intergalactic Tourist

I'd quite like a minimap/planet map. Be very useful for showing where you've been. Even if maybe its a upgrade you have to get later on it would just be a nice feature

monsi and Straume21 like this.
  3. Adarious

Adarious Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This might be an old post, but it most certainly still applies. One of the largest issues I have with this game right now is the lack of any sort of map. Even a spawn-point functioning item which would allow switching between areas would at least be something, but without some sort of map, I find it a crippling deficiency.

Armorine1983 and DaedricShadow like this.
  4. pollopelado

pollopelado Aquatic Astronaut

Craftable items for updating interface (environment & planet minimap, techtree encyclopedia of recipes, automation of feeding & bandages,...) all of these things would be cool.

5. Meruya

Meruya Aquatic Astronaut

I fully support the idea of a minimap or somekind of Planet map. The map would also be perfect for finding friends. At least I hope it would have this kind of feature.

Armorine1983 likes this.
  6. TrueHarlequin

TrueHarlequin Void-Bound Voyager

Ship upgrades for sure would solve this. Analyze planet can give fauna/flora, weather(e.g. acid rain), settlements, race, temperatures, etc. Another awesome tier/pixel sink too.

Hanthome Qwarkz and Shuji23 like this.
  7. pyogenes

pyogenes Space Hobo

I'm definitely frustrated with the lack of a minimap.

Say I'm building a mine near my starting point, and then I start a new mine a ways to the East. If, at some depth, I want to join the two mines, I have no idea the distance between them. I want to make interesting, intricate mines!

My favourite aspect of Terraria was the ability to build a castle, then look at it on the world map. It lets the player step back and say, "Today, I accomplished something in this game." I have literally no desire to build architecture in Starbound.

A minimap would make the game a lot more enjoyable for me.

Armorine1983 and NorthernStar like this.
  8. Fire Woven

Fire Woven Poptop Tamer

I'm all for a planet map, but I'd prefer to avoid a minimap. I've never been the biggest fans of them, and I'd much rather a map item you use, sort of like in Minecraft.

Dinoyipi likes this.
  9. flamedance58

flamedance58 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I believe it's already in the eventual feature list somewhere.

It states that there'll be a minimap that shows basic stuff like the land around you, other players,etc but anything more detailed will require you to make a mapping device.

10. Jonny_Brains

Jonny_Brains Space Hobo

Searched map before making a thread asking. So to date is there still no sort of map whats so ever in this game? Just started and thought maybe I was overlooking it's location.

11. Final Ninja

Final Ninja Orbital Explorer

They should make it a cartable tool, and if you use it a window pops up showing where you have explored already

12. Tsunderman

Tsunderman Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Personally, I'd like to be able to put notes on the map, too, so I could add footnotes about where things were left, where I stopped exploring, mines completely emptied, etc. A minimap would also be nice.

13. MithranArkanere

MithranArkanere Space Kumquat

I have bad memory so a minimap would really help.

To be precise, I'd like two kinds of maps:
    * One accessed with a button on the side toolbar, that shows the current area: Planet, ship, mission, outpost, etc.
    * One used from the ship on the ship's navigation console, as an extra zoom in from the planet view, that allows players to teleport to any previously discovered point on the surface on any planet on their list of bookmarked planets that they have previously visited (or visited by anyone on multiplayer servers). Then, at higher tiers, we should be able to craft "Waypoint Beacons" we can place anywhere in the word, and when activated, players would be able to teleport to them from the ship (and to the ship while standing near an active one), consuming a bit of fuel the deeper they are if they are underground, or the further away from a discovered are they are when they are in a spot the player has not revealed yet. This would also allow players to place or randomly find such beacons in worlds, and activate them so others can reach those spots without having to walk all the way there.. at a cost, of course.

Both with two fogs of war:
    * A pitch black one for all areas not discovered by your character.
    * In multi-player, a temporary grayed one for areas seen by any allied character, but not yours.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  14. Hakeshu

Hakeshu Void-Bound Voyager

Map function would be an amazing thing. It's strange we have technology to beam between spaceships\air but we can't track down our journeys and exploration. Make it a tool that just records were you have been before, like many already said adding some notes and stuff.

Tier 1 - Mini Map close range, does not work underground.
    Tier 2 - Mini Map close range, works underground.
    Tier 3 - Full Map of discovered areas, does not work underground.
    Tier 4 - Full Map of discovered areas, works underground.
    Tier 5 - Full scan of low level Planets, does not work underground.

Something like that =)

15. DJFlare84

DJFlare84 Spaceman Spiff

I'd love it if the minimap would also show you your distance in either direction in relation to the point where you beamed down, so you could tell when you've hit the exact opposite "end" of the planet.

Gevouden likes this.
  16. MithranArkanere

MithranArkanere Space Kumquat

That could be more of a GPS/Grid system. It could tell you time of the day, coordinates (Distance from 'sea level', distance from "north pole"), and show a grid to help building.

DaedricShadow likes this.
  17. tornar

tornar Void-Bound Voyager

I think that a mini-map (for example like the terraria minimap) is a really important and basic feature. I want to know in what layer of the planet I am, or what part of the planet I have already explored. I cant think on other more important feature to add to the game that a minimap.

austinichols likes this.
  18. VaeliusNoctu

VaeliusNoctu Pangalactic Porcupine

Hello i LOVE that idea and have a Sub Suggestion Idea inspired from the Thread creator.

Add the Feature to SCAN a Planet, after you have scaned the Planet you get a Map from the Planet (not the underground caverns. I suggest that a Player BEVORE must dig deep down set a Scanner there, go back to the ship, activate it and can after that Scan the Planets underground too reveal caverns, ores, minni biomes-dungeons etc....

19. lepreconor4

lepreconor4 Lucky Number 13

I'm also pro mini map, exploring planets I sometimes lose track of where I beamed down to and so I end up re-exploring parts of the planet I have already seen. It's a bit of a pain and any kind of pop up mini map would solve it.

austinichols likes this.
  20. draco1122

draco1122 Big Damn Hero

I want this so bad.