1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Planet chat gone or to be re-added later?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by ShinigamiKaze, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Ehksidian

Ehksidian Spaceman Spiff

I'm disappointed it won't be back in 1.0, but I have - or, rather, had - a good feeling planet chat would be added again shortly after 1.0. They most likely want to work out any and all bugs in the new chat feature, before adding new panes to it. They don't want to add a new channel and have to start bug testing to see how it reacts to that. While I am incredibly disappointed it won't be coming back to 1.0, at least they outright said it instead of staying silent, and at least gave some reasoning behind it, and said it would come back post 1.0.
    So please be respectful of the devs at this point in time, guys. They're working on the game, they want to get 1.0 out by an internal deadline and are close to doing so, and don't want to miss said deadline by adding in a new feature they have to bugtest. Tiy said it'd be coming in post-1.0. I doubt it would even take long for planet chat to be added in the post-1.0 patch.

1.0 is not the end of the game. 1.0 means "base features complete". Many servers won't update to 1.0 immediately anyways, due to how much 1.0 will change. So please be calm. Please. I really do doubt a post-1.0 patch adding planet chat back would take more than a few weeks at most.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
    Ludovic and Maikoa like this.
  2. DiamondDovah

DiamondDovah Void-Bound Voyager

Planet chat will be post-1.0, confirmed by Tiy. Thanks all.

Ehksidian and Maikoa like this.
  3. Maikoa

Maikoa Subatomic Cosmonaut

^ This so much this. Tiy said it so many times but everyone was demanding it be pre-1.0 fix.

4. Symphony

Symphony Giant Laser Beams

Not a solution, lol.

5. 409

409 Big Damn Hero

The problem with that is when that addition will come out. CF is notorious for being extremely slow, so perhaps by the time Planet chat's back, there won't be anyone who actually wants it because everyone's given up four or five months later.

Pinkbat5 likes this.
  6. Kappalones

Kappalones Void-Bound Voyager

They heard us and people have shit on the devs enough now, we got our answers and there is nothing coming out of this but salt and most likely a disdain for the community on the side of the developers.
    Yes, they have fucked up with this but it's not like there are no alternatives for now.

Back-up your games.
    Mod the fuck out of the new version.
    Give up.

These are your alternatives until they fix this, take it or leave it.

Sh4dowWalker96 and Maikoa like this.
  7. pjeeeeeee

pjeeeeeee Void-Bound Voyager

8. Sh4dowWalker96

Sh4dowWalker96 Big Damn Hero

Heh, you got a screenshot with me in it, cool. That's really all I have to say, I'm confident in Chucklefish's ability to do what they can.

Ludovic and Maikoa like this.
  9. Narks

Narks Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Wow, all this drama over such a tiny little thing!

Don't you think the developers have more important things to work on, like, the actual gameplay itself? If you want to chat, just set up a Discord or something and you can have all the chat features you want...

Sh4dowWalker96 likes this.
  10. Symphony

Symphony Giant Laser Beams

God damnit Narks lol

11. BloodyMonarch

BloodyMonarch Astral Cartographer

Seems like an easy problem to get around to me. Just make a teamspeak (or some other chat program with multiple rooms per server). Play in windowed mode and chat with the people you want in your other program until planet chat is back.

12. pjeeeeeee

pjeeeeeee Void-Bound Voyager

That's an incredible hassle, even more so for RP servers.
    Some people have multiple characters, sometimes multiclienting, playing a couple of characters at the same time, since most of the RP is text based, which allows you to dual-client sometimes, depending on your speed.
    You'd have to change your name constantly. It's also a step back from what it used to be, it's quite useful that now you see three dots appearing above someone's head when they're typing in chat, but it's a useless addition if all the chat is going to appear in 1 chat box.

Even if we could have an external workaround, it's stupid that they "removed" a feature of the game which a large part of the community considers useful and will mess up the multiplayer experience, because Chucklefish wants to focus on the "singleplayer" experience or the 1-5 party of friends experience.
    Honestly, there's no excuse, other than laziness. Integrating AT LEAST the planet chat/world chat channels into the current chat system shoudln't be that much of an issue.

I'm also dissapointed that I saw at least 3 people on the stream spam the question of "when" we will get planet chat back back, if ever, and it wasn't adressed in the slightest. I understand they can't possibly answer "all" the questions, but this is supposedly quite a big deal to a part of the community.

13. Narks

Narks Scruffy Nerf-Herder

There are at least two servers (the one I help run included :p) that have already implemented a solution to the "problem", instead of whining and throwing a tantrum in Discord chat when they don't get their way. Hell, there's even a guy going around saying he will release his chat fix when he's ready (citation neded).

There have been multiple official statements about planet chat not being able to be in 1.0, so stop complaining about it. Chucklefish have more important things to do than heed the unreasonable demands of selfish children who won't help themselves.

14. Geeknerd1337

Geeknerd1337 Void-Bound Voyager

Too bad the one you run is completely dead now.

15. GoldenstarArtist

GoldenstarArtist Cosmic Narwhal

What the *actual* Hell? Don't they realize that removing this primary function will Ruin countless servers? Not just roleplay servers? Any faction-based server or general server will immensely suffer from this. In fact I don't see how any server will be generally playable if you can't have plant conversations. - I certainly hope someone is already working on a mod to fix this.

Edit: Ok reading up they /will/ - /eventually/ re-add it.. but the fact they didn't include it is mind boggling... Does anyone have a working mod yet or know of someone who is?

16. endertrot

endertrot Cosmic Narwhal

My only question is why remove it in the first place, only to add it back post 1.0? That just seems silly to me.

GoldenstarArtist likes this.
  17. Vermaas

Vermaas Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Devs, 1.0 is out, can we have Planet Chat back now? Please?

18. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

now how many people are on the give up list, quite a lot I geuss so not sure if offering people that choice is even a good ide to begin with.

19. Maikoa

Maikoa Subatomic Cosmonaut

The developers have already stated that they will re-add planet chat in a subsequent update.

20. Silvercore

Silvercore Void-Bound Voyager

I hope they do re-add it, large servers are an absolute nightmare with everyone speaking in global, and it's even worse for roleplay servers, the chat winds up moving so quickly with people in global that your fighting the chat system just to see what somebody just said.