1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Planet chat gone or to be re-added later?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by ShinigamiKaze, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Short-Factor

Short-Factor Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well, I suppose that is true. I mean, it updates every night, correct? They have plenty of time to add it back whilst working on other stuff.

2. Ludovic

Ludovic Giant Laser Beams

Exactly :)

Maikoa likes this.
  3. Maikoa

Maikoa Subatomic Cosmonaut

Bringing this post back because all the RP community people are just mindlessly posting thanks to that one forum post (You know the one. It's responsible for this flood) that is just fearmongering. Please guys, as Ludo and I and even Shini in the OP was saying. It's not permanent. Shini's post is just saying to not KEEP it on World chat and postulates that because it's nightly it's not permanent. Even Shini in his OP said he hadn't tinkered around with the nightly a lot.

It's the NIGHTLY. It's not permanent, like that fearmongering post made by someone who didn't even play the nightly version to find out the above says.

If they've bothered to do

"data" : [ "RadioMessage", "World" ]

they will add

"Planet" or "Local"
    and "Party"

Chill because it is
    1. the nightly
    2. The chat pane is a NEW feature.

Because the chat pane is a new feature, they are still testing it out. The last few nightlys from the days after Shini made his OP, they have made changes to the chat panes.

This is not the "end" of RP servers. Chucklefish is not 'slitting the throat' of the RP communities. I run one and even I am not freaking out about this. It's nightly. If the feature is not back in the Unstable build pre 1.0, then start worrying.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  4. SpikeTheF0x

SpikeTheF0x Aquatic Astronaut

Lets just all hope Chucklefish does not mess it all up and take out.
    And to those saying not to worry and all, its better to speak up now and worry about it as we have time still. Lets not wait until its taken off before complaining

5. Symphony

Symphony Giant Laser Beams

This is where I stand as well.

I agree with all of you saying 'Relax, it's not a big deal and planet chat is probably going to make it into stable."
    I do! I do believe this whole controversy is blown out of proportion, and just the result of an incomplete system.

BUT!

... As I said, development HAS done some crazy, awful things in the past. They've removed character descriptions for next to no reason, for one. It's safer for us to make a fuss and just be told "Sorry guys, it'll be in stable." now rather than wait til stable release and find out it really WASN'T a mistake.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
    Apple Juice likes this.
  6. Maikoa

We asked Norn for an official position on chat since nobody, including ourselves, would settle. Again a reminder that the Unstable release is closer to the 1.0 release than the nightly will be. There's a helpful FAQ which details how Nightly build is different from Unstable and Release builds. Norn has answered us about both chat and an Unstable release pre-1.0

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I will bring you an update on Monday when our questions have reached the right people. Big thanks to Norn for playing telephone for us.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
    Sh4dowWalker96 likes this.
  7. Xirukai

Xirukai Pangalactic Porcupine

It's Wednesday now, where's the answer, got it yet?

8. Maikoa

Yeah it took a while because Norn was busy adding Mooshi to the game. Instead people went to Molly about it.
    Mollygos said it's out of 1.0. Now it's time we can say it wasn't just removed per nightly. It's gone period.

[​IMG]

We (some people on the discord) asked TiY about it and he said...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  9. Symphony

Where the heck is this starbound discord?

10. Maikoa

Reddit Discord!
    It's located on the LINK REMOVED I MADE SUCH A MISTAKE IN SHARING IT
    Please be polite to the devs!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Play the current nightly to see game features pre-1.0
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My advice to the other RP servers is to not update to 1.0 and to politely petition the developers to re-add it post 1.0.

[​IMG]

11. Symphony

RIP

I guess we all sorta knew this day would come eventually, lol

12. Kappalones

Kappalones Void-Bound Voyager

I'm really out of words for this. Why is this even a thing that we have to worry about to begin with? I would like some valid reasons to remove a feature like this, because I don't see a single one. This just creates complications for the communities and their servers.

13. Symphony

I had a length discussion about it in the starbound discord. I feel it's only fair the rest of you stay as informed as I am now.

So I guess that's it folks. It's uncertain if we'll even get it back. If we do, it might not be for months.
    Make sure to get the message across your communities to disable auto updating and backup their current client versions.

[​IMG]

14. Maikoa

[​IMG]
    Haha way ahead of you. Posting it here so that other server's people know what to do.
    Also nice to see you made it! I'm Queries in the SB discord!

15. Auramaster13

Auramaster13 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Dawn Felstar here from the discord, *sigh* I'm a little disappointed in the fact that there is going to not be any planet side chat but tbh it makes sense from a dev standpoint why they cant add it in so easily and I'm not going to complain about it but i can see why people are upset :/ sadly people have built a community around the planet side chat and although there is nothing chucklefish can do at this time they didn't have to go completely hostile towards the devs its a shame really but this also doesn't mean that other people should ridicule them for their actions too, they got scared an panicked and acted as hard as they could to get heard, but sadly they will just have to wait

Edit: Spelling

Sh4dowWalker96 and Maikoa like this.
  16. 409

409 Big Damn Hero

How about... We call them out for this excuse as politely as possible.

Pinkbat5 likes this.
  17. The Time Mare

The Time Mare Big Damn Hero

Are you kidding me? We're removing planet chat? You do know that roleplaying communities and normal players alike, all rely on planet chat, right? Have you tried playing this game with 40 other people in Galaxy chat, and try and form coherent conversation? This is a lazy fucking excuse to not add it back in. "Oh we're feature locked." The fuck is that supposed to mean? So bringing back a feature that you removed, that everyone wants back in, is too hard for you? There's no balancing issues with planet chat. It's not a weapon, it's not a tech. Like, for real. Stop adding LIVESTOCK and focus on bringing back a feature that's been around since the start of the game.

18. Maikoa

Considering it's reworking an entire chat feature and they've actually listened to our concerns and complaints and have even read this thread and said they'll work towards it post 1.0 I wouldn't say it's an excuse so much as Tiy being real with us and telling us they have a deadline for 1.0 and chat won't be finished in enough time.

Just uh, please remember to be polite when talking to the devs...

...but you guys kinda didn't...

...Also livestock is Norn's thing, he's an artist, not a feature developer..

..different CF staff have different roles..

...Honestly I'm very disappointed with how the RP community players were interacting with the development team. You all show know that you catch more flies with honey than with piss, vitriol and vinegar.

Sh4dowWalker96 and Ludovic like this.
  19. The Time Mare

The Time Mare Big Damn Hero

There's nothing else to do but get rowdy. They refuse to listen.

20. Maikoa

Tiy was listening and was offering feedback when Bumblebee was speaking to them about the effects of removing planet chat in regards to RP & chat in general. They managed to bring up the issue to the development team politely. I fail to see how the rest of the RP communities could not think to follow suit and be polite and raise issues in a calm manner.

Ludovic likes this.