1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Planet chat gone or to be re-added later?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by ShinigamiKaze, Jun 29, 2016.

1. zachlion

zachlion Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Don't get rid of planet chat. Seriously, its a dumb move.

Pinkbat5 likes this.
  2. Car Man

Car Man Space Hobo

I do not see what is wrong with removing planet chat. It is actually a good thing, in my opinion, that the Planet Chat is now removed. It allows for a more universal Starbound experience in co-op and multiplayer. The only people complaining about the removal of the planet chat are the people who want to do "Roleplay" in Starbound. "Roleplay". In Starbound. Why do you do that?
    I mean, why should planet chat be brought back, anyway? It helps with nothing, it contributes nothing. It just exists to waste data space in the game.

3. TheWalrusOverlord

TheWalrusOverlord Master Chief

That's easily the dumbest thing I've read all week.

4. Car Man

Car Man Space Hobo

I see you are mad. What is wrong with it, anyway? Plus, it is nightly, essentialy a beta, which means the removal might not be permanent. Calm down, don't cry.

5. TheWalrusOverlord

TheWalrusOverlord Master Chief

I'm not mad, Car Man, I'm just disappointed.

6. Shaadaris

Shaadaris Giant Laser Beams

It's things like this that make me wish there was a dislike button. You've had a grand total of 2 posts - these two - and upon checking you've had this account for less than a day, which means it's likely you made your account solely to butt into this and snark at the RP community because you clearly don't like it, and diss a feature that really had no harm in being there, apparently out of sheer spite, since I can't possibly think of another reason you would say so.

People roleplay because they find it enjoyable. Yeah, it isn't for everyone, but just because you don't like it doesn't mean others shouldn't.

Here's a non-RP reason why it should be kept, too. Actually, multiple reasons bagged under one title:
    Chat coherence.
    Imagine a server with 50 or more people on it.
    Imagine all 50 are chatting with eachother.
    Imagine the rate at which one unified global chat for all 50 would move at.
    Imagine the pain of needing to scroll up every time someone you're talking to says something because 12 more messages came after it in about 4 seconds.
    Imagine missing your friends talking because of the other message spam.
    Imagine the constant stream of chat messages popping up in the corner of your screen.
    Imagine the inevitable spammers making communication near-impossible.

I can't honestly think of a single way this is better than allowing chat to be global or broken up into smaller segments at will.
    Why nag about a feature that was doing no harm? The amount of "data space" it wastes is negligable. Especially when compared with its relative usefulness (see above points and more).
    It by no means contributes nothing, and, judging by the number of likes and responses to this very thread, helps a lot of people.

7. Car Man

Car Man Space Hobo

k then, but a dislike button? really? are you that much of a manchild that you want a dislike button because others gave their own opinions? I agree with you now, the planet chat would be a good thing, but really man, grow up.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  8. Vermaas

Vermaas Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Chucklefish, please DO NOT REMOVE THE PLANET CHAT. It's important to have it!

Pinkbat5 likes this.
  9. TheWorstPersonEver

TheWorstPersonEver Cosmic Narwhal

idk what to even say. @Shaadaris is actually making some good points, yet you read his posts and just blindly throw insults at him, and other people. Instead of making good points, you decide to say that he is a manchild. People can enjoy roleplay, and you're just saying it's useless. Clearly pathetic..

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  10. Shaadaris

No, I wanted a dislike button so I could have another way to show my dislike for the way someone was acting.

Follow what you preach - I gave my opinion that I would dislike that post if I could, because I saw nothing but biased vitrol in it. I would likely also have disliked this one, because you instantly went to calling me names, continuing the cycle of annoyance with eachother rather than trying to resolve anything. In fact, you then could have disliked my post instead of resorting to by-the-book insults. Although now that I think of it, such a system would likely end up being abused by trolls, and probably cause equal or greater amounts of grief.

Now can we agree our posts both had faults, leave this matter be, and let the thread continue without issue?

Pinkbat5 and Sh4dowWalker96 like this.
  11. Car Man

Car Man Space Hobo

I did say I agreed with his points. Actually read the whole thing before you make blind assumptions. I just expressed my disapproval at @Shaadaris 's wish for a dislike button, assuming my opinion that it is childish to want to dislike other posts purely because you do not like the posts.

12. Car Man

Car Man Space Hobo

Sure, we can do that. After all, we will both get in trouble if we keep this up.

13. LeafWolf

LeafWolf Scruffy Nerf-Herder

As many others have stated before me, planet chat is a vital part for RP servers, which is a large chunk of your playerbase.

Pinkbat5 likes this.
  14. Yzzey

Yzzey Heliosphere

Maybe you should stop having bad opinions.

Also yeah, CF, please bring back Planet chat.

15. Car Man

Car Man Space Hobo

can you not? the hatchet was buried already.

16. Shaadaris

Ah, please don't. We've resolved this and I don't want more pointless anger being tossed around.

17. Yzzey

Yzzey Heliosphere

My bad. Won't bring it up anymore.

18. Ludovic

Ludovic Giant Laser Beams

I'd like to bring back up this comment right because gosh, people. Give it a wait, this is the nightly where they're still using a lot of things.

For all we know that chat might brains l become an additional tab once they're done fine-tuning current priorities.

If they don't just make it a drop-down menu altogether.

Maikoa likes this.
  19. Short-Factor

Short-Factor Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Oh yeah, this is definitely a bad move, Chucklefish. Bring back Planet chat, please. Many, if not ALL starbound servers use this feature prominently, and if removed could have serious negative effects to your playerbase.

We're definitely not ready for the inevitable spammers on full-player servers. The absolute horror of having to scroll up through 250+ messages.

Pinkbat5 likes this.
  20. Ludovic

Ludovic Giant Laser Beams

They're still in progress of converting the chat to a new system and layout.

Unless it's not back one day before release, I think you can relax and be fine to assume they're just still in the process of laying out everything for the new chat window .
    It just happen that planet chat did not had the time to be added yet.

Recall this is the nigthlies. If they convert something from an older system and layout to an entirely new one, it is bound to have parts missing in the first days before they have the time to reassemble everything together again.

Maikoa likes this.