1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Planet chat gone or to be re-added later?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by ShinigamiKaze, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Kaktiss

Kaktiss Void-Bound Voyager

"How do I cut down trees?"

But no seriously.. thi is a terrible thing.. let's just hope this is a mistake they made and it'll be re-added on the next nightly.

2. Ehksidian

Ehksidian Spaceman Spiff

It's been gone for about three days at this point, judging from the start date on this thread.
    That's way too long, honestly. If it is a bug, they should really get to fixing it soon...at least, they should put it on a "To-fix before 1.0" list if they're still focusing on making content.

3. TheAlias

TheAlias Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Planet chat is absolutely vital. Not everyone needs to see what everyone else is talking about.

4. N7hydra

N7hydra Scruffy Nerf-Herder

First the player inspection is removed, then this? Are you /trying/ to alienate a portion of your playerbase? Fact is, Starbound as a game is nothing to me now. It's just a medium for rp. I havn't played the single player in a year and a half. If you kill this, many of your players will stop playing. Simple enough.

5. LieutenantLamb

LieutenantLamb Void-Bound Voyager

If it ain't broke, don't fix it, Chucklefish.
    I don't want a bunch of people spamming galaxy chat with their personal issues. Planet chat is nice, so you don't clog up the entire chat. Plus, the RP community is big. I don't want to hear the naughty stuff people do, either.

6. Maikoa

Maikoa Subatomic Cosmonaut

The chat log format was changed around to add tabs to switch between player chat & NPC text,and as a result the toggle that allows you to switch between planet, party and universe chat was removed, so all chat is global for now..

But before all the RP communities, including mine (Thanks for the post though Shini <3) get their knickers in a twist, it's important to note that in the past two nightly updates, changes have been made to those chat panes, one which reduced the popups from collecting items ( hard limit was just set to five notifications + extra # here ).

In the nightly the LOG tab has this configured: "data" : [ "RadioMessage", "World" ]
    Likely there will be "Planet" and "Party"

It's good to note in the off chance that chuckle forgets to swap it back and fix it, but a heavy reminder here, features in nightly =/= unstable which in turn =/= stable.

It would've been cool to have had a quick 'hey we're doing this thing' from someone before it happened, but it's just the nightly.

7. Ludovic

Ludovic Giant Laser Beams

Thanks for the reasoned response here. I feel like people keep losing perspective of things when it comes to the nigthlies.

Sh4dowWalker96 and Apple Juice like this.
  8. Maikoa

In Shini's case, I see it as a legitimate concern when he can't mod the chatpane to be local chat for nightly and the prior content removals on CF's end.

In regards to the flood however, someone from one of the RP communities started a rumor that it was gone 'forever' which ended up creeping through the rest of the communities. :T

I'm sticking on the fence however. Descriptions were removed in the past (IIRC first in a nightly build) and we all remember how that went.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
    Sh4dowWalker96 and Apple Juice like this.
  9. Ehksidian

Ehksidian Spaceman Spiff

I figured (and hoped) it was temporary, since I heard they were overhauling chat - I don't play nightly so I didn't know the exact changes that were being made.
    If "party" hasn't even been added to the new system, then I have a pretty good feeling "planet" will be too. Which is good. No need to worry unless CF says outright "We're removing planet chat because reasons"

10. Maikoa

It was just added. They're still working out the NPC/Sail chat right now. I doubt planet and party is on the top of the list because those are easy for CF to add. Them getting rid of the massive flood of notifications while you're mining dirt, picking up items, etc. was more pressing than adding some local chat/party chat buttons.

I'm surprised nobody is bringing up the fact that they made it so you can't collect coloured dirt anymore. (But it's likely you can just starcheat some in anyways) c:

11. Himme

Himme Space Hobo

Please bring the Planet Chat back. It has great utility and it doesn't seem like a very necessary thing to do to remove it. As someone said, it feels like a step back rather than a step forward.

You can do this CF. I believe in you. :)

12. Circle Cell

Circle Cell Void-Bound Voyager

Add a party chat instead of removing planet chat.

13. 409

409 Big Damn Hero

Without Planet Chat, roleplay servers will fall into absolute anarchy and die out in days or perhaps even overnight. It is essentially cutting the throat of a good chunk of Starbound's community, destroying the very thing that makes them different from others and viable in the first place, and for what reason?

Why would you remove Planet Chat when it is such a simple thing to keep? Why?

I see absolutely no reason to remove it, not only from a community/game standpoint, but from a logical standpoint. If it already is in the game, why not try and use what you already have? Why fix what's not broken?

Pinkbat5, Sh4dowWalker96 and LeafWolf like this.
  14. Emmalinea

Emmalinea Void-Bound Voyager

Himmeeeeeessssssssssss ty <3

15. Priest of Cthulhu

Priest of Cthulhu Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Ayy, don't permanently remove planet chat, lmao.

The removal of a vital asset to Starbound role-play will drastically harm the quality. Character descriptions were removed, that slightly harmed certain assets of role-play on Starbound, removing Planet chat forever will be a dozen times worse.

As a side note, I'd recommend that Chucklefish pays more attention to us, maybe their PRs could have a chat with some veterans of Starbound role-play and add some of their ideas to the game.

Pinkbat5 and Sh4dowWalker96 like this.
  16. VortexMaster

VortexMaster Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Roleplay servers would be fucked my dudes

Pinkbat5 likes this.
  17. Dean102

Dean102 Void-Bound Voyager

Um. No. Absolutely no, 101 dalmatians of no.
    Please don't remove planet chat!

18. Symphony

Symphony Giant Laser Beams

Starbound development has straight up kicked us dedicated roleplaying communities in the nuts over and over and over again, but we've kept loyal and committed regardless despite the general apathy toward us.
    THIS, on the other hand. Hell. This doesn't even just affect roleplaying communities. This would just cut the throats of everyone everywhere.

I have to hope, or at least ASSUME something so ridiculously crazy is nothing more than an oversight on chucklefish's part. So, yeh, let's make sure this thread gets the spotlight and calls some attention to the problem.
    Please devs, put us at ease and tell us this was just a mishap.

Pinkbat5 and Sh4dowWalker96 like this.
  19. WowGain

WowGain Scruffy Nerf-Herder

As a moderator on an SB RP server I've just gotta say

Please don't screw us by removing planet chat
    Thnx<3

Pinkbat5, Sh4dowWalker96 and LeafWolf like this.
  20. Dummy17

Dummy17 Void-Bound Voyager

Planet chat is essential, especially for all those RP communities out there.

Pinkbat5 likes this.