1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Planet chat gone or to be re-added later?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by ShinigamiKaze, Jun 29, 2016.

1. ShinigamiKaze

ShinigamiKaze Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Just took a small look at the nightly build and noticed a distinct lack of planet/local chat. Most of the Starbound servers use this very thing to keep chat organized and clean. There isn't even a need to take it out as most servers should have logs and tail set up. We have little issue with people doing things we can't see because we can see it all. Most servers that are public, are in point of fact, Roleplay servers. I get that some might not care about RP servers or understand the issue with not having this in the game, but this makes all posts public which effects others too. You're talking to someone on a ship with you? Everyone sees it. You're wanting to play on a server with your real life friend? You can't use his real name because everyone on the server will see that simply because you can't use a chat only you both see. There isn't even a way to make a mod to add it back in. Chat has always been coded into the client. Even now just trying to make planet chat the defaulted chat for your client would not be able to be done with just the assets being unpacked. You'd need to alter your client, something most modders can't do. I can't see any of the servers liking this change. I can't even see any of them having asked for this change. So what is the reason it is being removed? Maybe this is just a WIP change and will be done later, but I'd rather say it now that this is not a good change to make. At least saying it now means it might be seen and added back in before the 1.0 update.

2. darkus334

darkus334 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I really want to know, is the removal of planet chat temporary? Because many users find planet chat quite useful for private chatting and the roleplay community utilizes it. It's a useful feature, so why remove it?

3. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Merged the two threads - since it was duplicates.

4. Apple Juice

Apple Juice Pangalactic Porcupine

There's really no reason to remove this. At all.
    In all forms this is pretty much just a regression rather than an addition to the game.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  5. Pinkbat5

Pinkbat5 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Please don't remove it, the vast majority of starbound servers- and ALL of the popular starbound servers- use planet chat regularly.

6. Elroy21

Elroy21 Void-Bound Voyager

Can vouch; stop the madness, chucklefish, we need planet chat so we can keep some sense of privacy in our servers. The only way to simulate planet chat, if this patch goes out, is whispering everyone on a planet that's on your screen.

7. PrivateNomad

PrivateNomad Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I would not think there any reason to not have it, and it is very well used. So please, do not remove it for god's sake.

8. Thatepicguy

Thatepicguy Orbital Explorer

I have to agree with everyone here, IT NEEDS TO STAY!

9. Silverketeh

Silverketeh Orbital Explorer

Please, for god's sake, don't remove it.
    Us, the RP community (one of your biggest playerbases) really want this.
    Please.

10. memelordman

memelordman Tentacle Wrangler

Removing this is an incredibly, incredibly bad idea. It affects all servers. It also pretty much bricks roleplay servers, removes the ability to have private conversations, and will have lots of servers have their chat flooded. And ovbiously, trolls and greifers can spam the chat even faster.

Please. Don't remove this. For the love of god. Bring it back. I've spent 5k+ hours on your game because of planet chat's roleplay ability. If you remove it, I won't have a reason to play anymore.

11. Dangermouse

Dangermouse Master Chief

Yep, Agree with everyone here, there is no real reason for planet chat to be removed, it has to stay.

12. WafflesOfTheStars

WafflesOfTheStars Void-Bound Voyager

So let me get this straight. Chucklefish, knowing full well that the RP community is pretty much 80% of their remaining playerbase, despite the complaints they know it would make, is just tossing this away? Just like that?

As much as I dislike the game, doing this is a disservice to their fans. For the sake of us, keep it in.

13. UndiesInSpace

UndiesInSpace Void-Bound Voyager

Everyone here's pretty much reasoned why this is bad, if it's permanent.

Think of the children, won't you? Or, at least me when Galaxy Chat floods my chat box with memes and racial slurs. Hurts the development of my brain, just like this hurts the development of the game, capische?

14. Enreth

Enreth Void-Bound Voyager

Planet chat is a must have, I can't imagine broadcasting a simple request to a friend or a comment to the entire server. I feel it will break the functionality of the SB RP servers, and create a very chaotic way of communicating on vanilla.

15. IllusionGamer

IllusionGamer Void-Bound Voyager

Pls Chucklefish, we love you, but when you play with us like this... Wait... You aren't joking about removing planet chat? What are you thinking!? Please let planet chat stay bb.

16. Ehksidian

Ehksidian Spaceman Spiff

I really, really hope this is just a temporary thing and not intended to be permanent, CF

Removing planet chat is nothing but a bad move. Why remove it, other than to piss off some of your players? It means people can't privately chat on a planet, or on a ship, unless they "party" together. And that's fairly stupid to do - I don't want to add everyone on the same planet as me to a party just so we can talk there instead of to the server as a whole. I don't want random people to be able to hop on my ship just so I can talk to them on a planet.

Please, for the love of god CF, confirm this is just a bug and isn't permanent. There is no reason to remove a feature like planet chat. None.

17. crowby

crowby Title Not Found

Planet chat is necessary to around 80%+ of your community, CF. Please add it back!

18. Emmalinea

Emmalinea Void-Bound Voyager

Ok yeah so... for the roleplaying community (which as previously stated is like a big chunk of your player base) this would be absolutely awful. Having planet chat has always been such important factor in role playing situations. Having it all flooding one channel would be chaotic and the lack of privacy would be destoryed. This would be a very bad thing for the roleplay community, and I hope you can see that we truly don't want this.

19. TheHuntingFloran

TheHuntingFloran Aquatic Astronaut

Bring it back, the roleplaying community needs it for privacy reasons. So many servers would stop running.

20. Bloopdude

Bloopdude Void-Bound Voyager

Please bring back planet chat. Do you really want everyone to hear ERP?