1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Planet BackGrounds

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by final272, Jun 4, 2016.

?

Should planet backgrounds change?

1. Yes

58.3%
  2. No

8.3%
  3. The backgrounds for planets should be randomized

33.3%
  1. final272

final272 Void-Bound Voyager

For every Star bound build I've always built my home on a lush planet. Not because the mobs are easy or the land being rich for farming but mainly for the back ground and the weather. However now that i have came back i saw something that made me pretty sad about me building my home and city on a lush world.

The mountains in the back ground cut off the horizon, stars and the moon entirely when walking at ground level.

To me, not being able to build my home/city at the level without blocking the open fields of the world ruins the environment for me. I like to be able to walk along my town or look out the window to see fields and stars. Now all i see is mountains instead of the stars. It feels like i'm in a bowl now when i build everything which is kinda sad.

The weather not changing the background like it did in alpha for lush planets.

I remember a long time ago when the weather system first came out that on lush planets when a storm with lighting blew in. The background would change to a stormy background. With lighting in the distance. I do miss this from what we have now just because of the fact it was so beautiful. Hope this also comes back to lush planets.

With these 2 changes that i've seen from alpha to now kinda makes me not want to build a home on the lush planets anymore. Don't even want to build a home on other planets either just by how the backgrounds look. I do know some people would love to keep these backgrounds but, how about making the backgrounds for planets randomized? Least this would give each individual planet more of a feel instead of just going for a type. Would love to see a lush planet with the things listed above and sometimes have aurora lights at night like on some snow planets. :3

2. pop-yotheweird

pop-yotheweird Ketchup Robot

yeah... pretty sure that's not gonna happen. they've put an insane amount of extensive work into the world generation system to make sense to us; just like how people weren't all too happy when snow started falling on volcano habitats.
    if you feel like you're in a "bowl", you probably are. a fertile valley, as it were. the perfect place to pick yourself up after having been driven off-world by a destructive, world-ending something. if you don't like it then don't build there, wait for a later planet with more resources and perhaps more nifty NPCs.

edit: but I'm sure mods will cover your worries.

final272 likes this.
  3. final272

final272 Void-Bound Voyager

Mods would probably be the best method for me then. I also understand on how they would'n mess with the world generation. That does take a lot of work. Welp can't wait to start playing this again when 1.0 comes. Wonder if i should join a public server this go around.