Modding Discussion Place/Dig in stright lines (possible?)

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Vandrick, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Vandrick

Vandrick Phantasmal Quasar

Not sure if this has been discussed, but it's something as a builder that I'm dying to have. So I'm throwing it out here to see how likely it is I'd ever get a mod like this if it doesn't end up making it into the main game.

Anyhow, most of us builders are artistic by nature and have had some experience with a graphic program of some sort. Said graphics always have a key you can hold down to move in straight vert/horz lines. How difficult would a mod like that be to make for Starbound? Or is anyone already working on it? I can't tell you how many times I've accidentally placed blocks above or below the straight line I'm trying to dig. Either because my character auto-steps up or down a block level, leaving me to place or dig out one row above or below where I wanted. Or how many times I've been placing blocks only to be knocked back by a mob and end up throwing blocks all over the place.

Side Note

I'd love to see a mod like this incorporated in a "Drill Bits" mod that allows you to toggle different grid shapes for digging and placing. Instead of being limited to a 1x1 or a 3x3, have a toggle through various grid shapes(1x2, 1x4, 2x2, 4x4, 3x2, etc etc). Just think of it as changing drill bits. Would be a huge mod for builders.

austriss likes this.
  2. austriss

austriss Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I laughed when i saw the title , but after reading this, this is actually really good and could be useful;)..

3. WolfGang

WolfGang Phantasmal Quasar

This should be possible.
    I don't know if its possible now. But it should be later on if it isnt.

You might even be able to do curved lines, with a beam showing you where the line is.

4. Vandrick

I'm not a modder and I'm pretty code retarded, but I do know the code is obviously in the game to attach different sized block grids to items. Matter-Thingy-Ma-Bob is 2x2? The pickaxe had a 3x3? And at one point the drill had a 2x3 if I'm not mistaken. Then there is a 1x1 by holding shift (should be easy to mod that a toggle instead of a hold). So I imagine it'd be as simple as editing those lines in that code to specify a different block grid size, then multiplying it, and making a button that changes the flag/block grid each time you hit it. Of course, as I said, I'm not a coder, so that "sounds simple" to me could be crazy difficult.

In my mind I'm seeing the code/flag for the grid size for the matter manipulator and the drill added to the pickaxe, and adding a line of code that toggles between said lines with the press of a key. In my mind I could also be horribly wrong as far as how coding works lol.

5. WolfGang

WolfGang Phantasmal Quasar

At the moment I think that changing it to a toggle requires editing the actual game code, something that is beyond normal mods.

And the only setting for the shape / size of the placement area is a single number (the radius) so it just becomes a bigger square.

6. Vandrick

Ahhhhh. Stupid single numbers. Hopefully soon that'll change to two numbers (vert/hz).