1. Welcome to the Art + Literature sections! Some things to keep in mind:
    • It's a good idea to specify whether or not you're looking for critique from your fellow members. Please don't let friendly criticism turn into an all-out flame war.
    • Art and literature often deal with mature subjects. This is fine, but please keep in mind that we'd like to keep things PG-13. Don't let discussions get out of hand, and if they do, please alert a moderator.
    • If you've got a request, please use the [REQUEST] prefix!

Pixel Pixels! Yay! Also a beginner spriter whale

Discussion in 'Art' started by D.M.G., Feb 22, 2018.

1. Waffle-Chan

Waffle-Chan Guest

Yeah, I think I’m done giving advice and everything. This is causing me too much stress.

I see both Garnet’s and Leo’s points, and I don’t side with either. Garnet has specifically said that he wants advice and wants to improve, and he was given it. He actually made a lot of improvement about a week ago, but it seems like he wants to go back on that. I can definitely see why this causes Leo to get annoyed, as it’s akin to telling Baby Groot not to hit the right button (from Guardians of the Galaxy 2). He just keeps going back to it. But then again, there is a sort of artistic liberty you have to take into mind.

Bottom line for me is this: Yes, Leo is ultimately right about the shading and how it’s done, but he is releasing this information in an informal/negative way. Garnet says he wants to improve and has, but also decides to go against that improvement. Basically, keep your panties on tight and stop making a fight

Also, I somewhat agree Crossfang. Yes, a 9 year old girl with MS Paint can make art, but unless she understands the basic things like a light source, she won’t make great art. I guess it’s all perspective.

Also, Garnet, I was, and still am, mostly self taught. Almost everything I’ve learned about drawing has been from me locking myself away with a pencil and a notebook. I think the only things you need to learn for any art to be taken seriously are the very basic principals

[​IMG]

Basically, this

MilkCalf likes this.
  2. Charlatan

Charlatan Parsec Taste Tester

Your advises have gotten quite subjective if I may say so. Pixel art, or any art for that matter, does not have just one solid, single concrete style that it "is". Also, the logic you follow - specifically seen in martial arts (first learn the form, master the form, only then break the form and make your own style) does not really apply to creative art... art doesn't have rules and neither does creativity, the whole point of both is making something new and figuring out your own style from the start, not copying or re-interpreting existing things.

No offense, but I think your advice is more serving to make DMG follow your subjective way, instead of helping DMG to learn and improve.

PS: Yeah I have not spoken here yet, all advice I gave DMG was in private chat.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  3. Crossfang

Crossfang Supernova

@Waffle-Chan

1.There's no fighting to begin with.
    2.I know basics are important, my point is you don't need to follow them to make "great art". I said "free to express your own",my last statement meant for being expressive, not being professional. That means your 9yr old girl doesn't need to learn textbook fundamentals just to freakin express herself. So if she drew her mom in a piece of paper as an expressive way to show that she loves her, she needs to get gud 1st? So yeah, I was pertaining to expression, not professionalism or whatever "great art" your talking about.

Sidenote: If you want to continue this discussion, pm me. Let's not continue this on DMG's thread.

Well said, I agree on this.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    MilkCalf, Waffle-Chan and D.M.G. like this.
  4. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

5. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

I HAVEN'T POSTED FOR A WHILE I'M SORRYYYYYYYYY x'C

Here's a stuff for absolution x')

Fancy Smoker.png

MilkCalf and Waffle-Chan like this.
  6. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

Warband.png zefzefswo.png Here's two more stuff ^^/

MilkCalf and Waffle-Chan like this.
  7. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

Shovel Knight.png Here is a WIP ^^

MilkCalf likes this.
  8. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

cshovel.png bshovel.png Shovels! :D

Bamboozler, MilkCalf and Waffle-Chan like this.
  9. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

Barbaran shovel.png Barbarian Shovel! :D

Bamboozler and MilkCalf like this.
  10. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

I think I got a mascot here: Mr Bottle.png
    Say hello to Mister Bottle! :D
    Whaddya think?

Bamboozler and MilkCalf like this.
  11. Bamboozler

Bamboozler Space Penguin Leader

I've read this entire thread and it has become evident that you've improved quite a bit over the time that you've been uploading here. I especially love the 3 I quoted, they look semi professional and might be something you'd see in a small indie game.

Whether it's due to the somewhat hostile feedback you've been given or not, you've definitely improved! Keep it up! :up:

MilkCalf likes this.
  12. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

Thank you a lot, buddy ^^

Feedback was... welp you read it, so x')
    And actually, I am even more glad to read sommfink cos I was posting stuff since a week or two and no one was answering, so that got me afraid a bit x')
    But yea, I'm very glad of the progress I made x)

Semi pro? Welp, that's sommfink :3
    I hope I'll be able to keep it up ^^
    Mining ship.png

Here's a WIP btw ^^

MilkCalf and Bamboozler like this.
  13. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

Applebot.png shrimp.gif some new stuff :D

The Avelon and Waffle-Chan like this.
  14. Waffle-Chan

Waffle-Chan Guest

My boi Garnet, we could work together on this (if you're willing to fucking deal with my schedule. I certainly can't, and it's annoying.). I could clean up the sprites and/or create new sprites.

15. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

What's the problem with your shedule?

Waffle-Chan likes this.
  16. Waffle-Chan

Waffle-Chan Guest

I often don’t get to use my computer for over an hour, which can make it hard to update everything in a timely manner

17. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

Aah, I see

Waffle-Chan likes this.
  18. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

sentrypede.png Here's a sentrypede! :D
    It's gonna come in three versions

Circle Cell and Waffle-Chan like this.