1. Welcome to the Art + Literature sections! Some things to keep in mind:
    • It's a good idea to specify whether or not you're looking for critique from your fellow members. Please don't let friendly criticism turn into an all-out flame war.
    • Art and literature often deal with mature subjects. This is fine, but please keep in mind that we'd like to keep things PG-13. Don't let discussions get out of hand, and if they do, please alert a moderator.
    • If you've got a request, please use the [REQUEST] prefix!

Pixel Pixels! Yay! Also a beginner spriter whale

Discussion in 'Art' started by D.M.G., Feb 22, 2018.

1. LeoBreg

LeoBreg Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm fully aware you are you.

Waffle-Chan and MilkCalf like this.
  2. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

broadsword.png Alright, so it ain't perfect but I tried to shade it based on the idea that light was coming from the right side

Waffle-Chan and MilkCalf like this.
  3. LeoBreg

4. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

stuf1.png So I'm currently testing shading

MilkCalf and Waffle-Chan like this.
  5. LeoBreg

upload_2018-3-1_18-26-23.png you're still doing the same thing. If you're using a brush tool stop using that and only use pencil tool.

MilkCalf, Waffle-Chan and Crossfang like this.
  6. Crossfang

Crossfang Supernova

I agree with this. After you outline the color of your choosing, just use the fill tool.

MilkCalf, Waffle-Chan and D.M.G. like this.
  7. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

Alright. Tho, I'd like to precise that I never use the brush

8. Crossfang

Crossfang Supernova

I guess that's your style then. I'm not saying it's bad, but it can be improved! :)

Something that could help.

References

Study different kinds of pixel art. Then choose what you like to do, what style you prefer. References is your foundation for a good start. Btw, what influenced your current art style?

MilkCalf, D.M.G. and Waffle-Chan like this.
  9. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

Hmmm...
    Nothing much I gotta say. I mean, the latest stuff I done were loosely based on Terraria's style, that is 2x2 pixels squares
    But for the other ones, I don't have much inspiration sources in mind x)

10. Crossfang

Crossfang Supernova

If you have the time, just check other people's work. We all need some inspiration! xD

11. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

I gotcha on ^^

12. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

sowrd.png A lil' disclaimer first ^^
    I know this ain't perfect, but this sword was made with what I learned recently. Overall, I think I progressed a bit here

MilkCalf, Crossfang and Parrotte like this.
  13. Crossfang

Crossfang Supernova

I'm still liking it. Any pixel art is love for me. xD
    Nice weapon btw! Kep it up up up!

MilkCalf likes this.
  14. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

Thank you mate! :3

15. LeoBreg

upload_2018-3-9_20-33-41.png I said this about 3 times now, but it seems you'll just keep repeating the same mistake until then. Just limit your color palette to a minimum so the pixel art won't look like a giant blur. The way you're shading it is just complete banding. If you need a good reference for making weapons look up how other people make pixel art and try to make it look better.

16. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

Thing is: I know I used too much colors. But thing also is: I had an idea and went for it.
    I know using many colors can counter the effect you wanna make, but for this precise weapon, I just have the feeling it looks good that way

I'm not doing that to offend you or so. Besides, for the shading part I used another method, which, in my opinion, is better looking
    Either way, maybe I'll continue in that style or not. But personnally, I think that the bigger the sprite, the more color you need, to make so that the scheme doesn't become repetitive

MilkCalf and Crossfang like this.
  17. Crossfang

Crossfang Supernova

Calm down mate, some people prefer gentle approach. If that is how he works and prefer it that way, let him be, let him express what he likes. Let him experiment a little.

That's the beauty of art, you're free to express your own works without textbook fundamentals.

@D.M.G As long as you love what you're doing, don't let the others bother you :) Keep it up!

MilkCalf, Waffle-Chan and D.M.G. like this.
  18. LeoBreg

If you would look up what pixel art is and why limiting colors make good pixel art and why having too many colors is bad you'd understand that you're encouraging the person to keep making bad art which will do more harm then good for the person in the matter. It great to have fun with what your making, but if you wanna improve you have to follow the rules of what you're trying to make with full understanding before you break them to make up your own style.

Waffle-Chan likes this.
  19. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

I feel the clash here might be caused by the fact that i just started pixel art one day out of the blue, without informing myself much, while you got a way more scholar way of overviewing that.

I ain't saying neither is good or bad, that's just the way I see it. But what I mean is: learning in a scholar way can work for some and doesn't work for other people. I am among those. I'd rather be self taught than following a teacher.
    However, and that's precisely the reason why I opened this thread, I want advices. But the way you basically sounds like "if you don't do it my way, you won't be right ever", that may make people progress, but as I said, I am not very receptive about that.

Yet, I do try to follow your advices, thus explaining the quantities of colors on my last drawing: I wanted to see how two shading methods look together, experiencing.

20. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

And now we all calm down. It is still art and every art has a personal note imo. If you dont like it then its absolutly okay. If you wanna force others to follow any rules because it isn't your taste then it is not okay.
    Giving advice is also okay but getting slightly hostile is not okay too.