Pine trees spacing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kidkid123, Feb 17, 2018.

1. kidkid123

kidkid123 Phantasmal Quasar

Can they grow 1 next to each other? no space in between?

• One More Day

One More Day Cosmic Narwhal

Not to maturity.

They will grow to the stage before maturity, then wait until there is space. There needs to be a gap of at least one to the next tree

• kidkid123

i've tested it..they grow..but very slow..

• ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

Nope. It'll get to sapling level, at a reduced speed at you noticed, but they will NOT become a full grown tree as long as there is a tree, rock, or other obstacle immediately adjacent to it. This does not, by the way, include flooring. So you can make a floor with holes spaced in it to plant upon and it'll work just fine. But a sapling cannot grow to full maturity with another tree, sapling, rock, or other obstacle immediately adjacent.

• plagueborn667

plagueborn667 Subatomic Cosmonaut

The ideal spacing in addition to keeping obstacles clear is two spaces between saplings horizontally and one space vertically.

• One More Day

One More Day Cosmic Narwhal

Unless you are designing your farm as an obstacle race for the horse, I don't see the point of extra horizontal spacing between all trees. Assuming that you're growing for either harvesting the wood or setting tappers, you won't be either chopping them down or collecting syrups from horseback, so just make sure that in one place you leave a path wide enough for the horse to ride through, or leave space to ride round the farm boundary. Otherwise plant them as close as possible.

Edited when I realised I'd let autocorrecting put "favourite" instead of "farm"

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
              • kidkid123

i am actually designing my farm.. i plant trees in the back of buildings, giving them a more natural look:) and i need them to be simetrical..i did found a way..you can actually plant trees on spaces designated to buildings...

• plagueborn667

I found that when I put one space between them horizontally, they wouldn't grow properly.

• ManaUser

ManaUser Cosmic Narwhal

I don't think this is true. Non-fruit trees grow at a random speed, you probably just had some slowpokes there. I expect they would have grown eventually, barring other issues. I've got a small section of my farm dedicated to syrups, and my trees grew fine spaced 1-apart.

• plagueborn667

Distinct possibility. Still considering issues with horse navigation and the way I place my trees I'll stick to two horizontal anyway. Better for my farms. :)

• davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

Option 1

######
                        #o##o#
                        ######

Option 2

#####
                        #o#o#
                        #####

I have always thought that the "option 1" was the way they created the trees, the "option 2" is also good? Do trees grow like that then?

Does it apply to fruit trees too?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
                        • BouncingCactus

BouncingCactus Big Damn Hero

Fruit Trees require option 1, Sap Trees works with either.

davoker likes this.
                          • BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

If you're just working out the farm design you want, and aren't opposed to a little fudging, CJB_CheatsMenu will allow you to force a tree to grow. It's either numpad 1 or numpad 2, I don't recall. One will grow the crops in a 3x3 space, and the other will grow whatever tree you're facing toward. (Don't stand too close though. You'll get stuck inside the tree, and have to either chop it or pass out at 2 am.)

• davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

Ok thanks!