pet and animals with tools

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kurachi84, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Kurachi84

Kurachi84 Cosmic Narwhal

this has been bothering me, and since human NPC's can destroy whatever's in their way, do animals (coop+barn) and pets do that, too?
    what about slimes?
    if so, i'll be careful, if not.... i lost lots of opportunities in the past years (ingame years) to make it easier for myself

thanks in advance

• One More Day

One More Day Cosmic Narwhal

Putting chests in barns and coops is absolutely fine, animals don't break them. Human NPCs have preprogrammed paths along which they have to walk, but animals move randomly and will just avoid obstacles.

I usually stick cheese presses and mayo machines inside the barn. Don't put them in the coop though, it reduces the number of available spaces where eggs can be laid.

• BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

Kinda... NPCs will navigate around trees you've planted on their normal paths. I don't think they are so much stuck to the programmed path, as they've just got no regard for other people's stuff.

One More Day likes this.
        • One More Day

Oh, didn't know that they avoid trees. They never come on my farm and I never plant trees off the farm, I just buy wood once I've exhausted the supply on the farm, far too much effort to keep growing and cutting it.

Really not sure why you would plant trees in their path though tbh; if I were planting off the farm then I'd go to out of the way places like the railroad, quarry and desert

• BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

If I'm on my game I plant as many will fit both in front and behind the carpenter's shop and at the railroad. Linus, Abigail and Sebastian are the only NPCs that frequent the upper two area and they just weave right through them. I've never noticed any missing trees.

Also, I've used cheats to grow a solid wall of trees in the path of Gus, between the saloon and dog pen. He did the ... emote for a moment then warped through the trees without disturbing anything.

Anything else will be destroyed, but standard trees seem to be safe. Haven't tried fruit trees. Still not even sure just where fruit trees can or can't be planted. I'm not big on fruit trees. :D

EDIT: I also plant 24 oak trees north of the Joja Mart. I think Penny's the only NPC that goes up there. I plant two rows right against the hillside on the right and think they're clear of her path anyhow. (Then I also tap an oak tree at the bus stop as an indicator for when the ones by Joja are ready.) I like planting my oak resin grove off the farm because if they do drop seeds the seeds don't grow. That way you don't have to worry about anything getting too close to stop their growth, or chopping through volunteer saplings that get in the way of resin harvesting. That I think is the nicest thing about planting trees off the farm, is that you don't have to tend them and keep clearing out the saplings and other stuff that spring up.

EDIT->EDIT: To the OP. One More Day's got it right, as far as I've ever seen. Animals and Slimes(creatures on the outback farm) wander random paths that respect items you've placed. The NPCs follow predetermined paths and are a threat to stuff you've put down in their way. Like OMD said, it's a good idea to not place anything in coops. Drops from coop animals are placed randomly, and will be discarded if they collide with items that are already on the floor. It'll probably only save you a few eggs a year by keeping the floor clear, but it also might save you an iridium quality rabbit's foot... best to keep the floor clear.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
            • Kurachi84

Kurachi84 Cosmic Narwhal

i have seen a video with Pam walking all around trees, and Shane walking over water, after the creator blocked his way to Joja :rofl:
              but if animals don't destroy stuff, it's good to know :D

i knew my cat won't walk through sprinklers (which i didnt think about when posting this), but since humans do destroy most or all non-tree things, i still asked

i wanted to place the grabber in the coop, with a certain mod that makes it work there (and for crops, but meh, not doing that, haha)

anyway, i wasnt worried about trees, more about my crafted and bought tools, haha
              but thanks for the replies
              ps. i'm lucky enough with rabbit's foot drops, tbh (hah, lucky..... sorry)

there are a few spots i havent seen any kind of drop, but i guess that auto-grabber mod makes it all spawn inside it
              sounds like cheating, but the barn has it, so why not the coop :)

• BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

I do use the Deluxe Auto Grabber(mod) in the coop, and also put a heater in there without thinking twice. I consider the auto grabber mod is a plus because, while it does use up one floor tile, it clears the floor every day, even if you ignore it. The big thing is don't look at it as "available space." If it's cluttered with stuff, or full of eggs, it will cut into your profits.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
                • Kurachi84

Kurachi84 Cosmic Narwhal

oh, i check my barns and coops everyday anyway, to pet them, and make them happy
                  its just an easy way to grab everything, instead of walking around, being bodyblocked by a rabbit, chicken or duck... or dinosaur
                  and i check all storage chests that i set to automation (also from a mod i love), quite often.... just gotta check whether or not that mod gives me fishing points for each time it cleans and refills the crab pots

and thanks for mentioning the heater, as i just forgot it on this other character o_O uh-oh
                  but yeah, i check chests and such often, as i also use (lots of mods nowadays, haha) the timer mod, making 1 day longer (from 7 to 14, meaning 14 (its default setting) seconds in reallife instead of 7, is 10 minutes ingame, so i can also relax a lot, which is the reason i bought the game)

now going to sleep, tomorrow heater (writing it down on paper)

BentFX likes this.
                  • One More Day

Stone floor recipe from Robin is 500g. I pave around my acorns as soon as they are planted, which negates the sapling problem. The paths which come as starter recipes are all susceptible to weeds and seeds, but the floor recipes you can buy are more robust, invulnerable to everything except lightning, and worth the investment. I use stone instead of wood for paving, because I always have a stone surplus, whereas wood is very quickly used up. I don't pave the already mature trees though, I just clear around them and then make sure to grab the acorns they drop each day. This gets me the acorns I need for planting, plus plenty spare for field snacks.

And seriously, how many oaks do you plant, if you "also" plant north of Joja, as well as around the carpenter and railroad? Do you plant on the farm too? That would be a huge amount. I plant 35 between the greenhouse and cat bowl, plus I tap ten or so mature trees in the NW corner and two at the bus stop. Anyway, that ends up being about 50 oak resin per week, which I find to be plenty. I did go for 80 once, in a push for a gold clock before grandpa's evaluation, and ended up with well over 1,000 kegs, but that became a real grind, something I don't care to repeat.