1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

People Rushing for Getting Beta Test and Moderator Rights.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Kjulo, Mar 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kjulo

Kjulo Subatomic Cosmonaut

I noticed something; alot of people seem to only post to try and get Moderator rank or Beta testing access.
    I got this info by asking some of my steam friends that are here on the forum (about 9) why they all of a sudden began to post alot; their answar: "To get Beta test" or "To be a moderator!". Im only left with the question "Why?"

-Beta Testing Rights.
    Yes, it might be cool to play the game before everyone else. Yes, it might be cool to see how the game grows through the updates. But in the end, was you play will be a Half-done version of your dream game, you will play enough to go "Meh" about it before its even done, and probaly miss out on the final product.

-Moderator Rights.
    Yes, it might be cool to have a fancy Title. Yes, it might be cool to get atleast 10 likes per post and alot of followes, but in the end moderating is really a second job. Ive been a moderator alot of times, on game servers, on forums, heck, even in steam groups. People will constantly reach for you if you end up being active. And you have to judge all the time wether its punishable or not, take a wrong decision and you are one step closer to losing your rank and you got some more people who dosent want your life to be the best in the world, you might even end up being the most hated member of the community, that wouldnt be nice.

-This is just a Humble post to prove a point, not saying i do not wish to have these priveliges.

iblob, Madmarlon, Zoraculus and 7 others like this.
  2. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

Moderator: because this community is worth the effort.
    Beta: would be nice but if not I have other games I can play.

3. TheDeviant

TheDeviant Sandwich Man

This is completely true. I personally am not posting a lot just in case I get picked for beta testing; I absolutely would hate to get my first experience of Starbound spoiled by a buggy, half-version of the finished product, and I'm also not going to watch any videos of beta testing or of gameplay until I've in my mind gotten to the end-game of Starbound. It simply spoils the experience.

4. DJFlare84

DJFlare84 Spaceman Spiff

I have noticed this too. And while it's true I'd like to be a moderator on the forum, I'm not going to pretend I know any more than I do, or that I have a say in how a person should act around other people like I'm their mommy or something.

I mean, if yer bein' a jackass, I'll find a way to let ya know. But leave the modding to the mods. They don't appreciate you doing their jobs for them. You can show off your awesome mod skills when, y'know... you become a mod. But not a moment sooner.

In the meantime, DJFlare84 will be unapolagetically DJFlare84. People like 'im SO far!

5. Jermex

Jermex The Stampede Forum Moderator

In terms of being a moderator, It is NOT a second job at all.
    I am deeply touched that I was chosen, and I aim to keep this place clean and friendly for you all.
    I have made mistakes as a mod, but this community is forgiving, as long as I don't abuse my power and keep a cool head.
    The likes and followers are meaningless, its the good feeling you get when you clear reports, and keep everything fair and troll free.

In terms of beta, it hasn't even been confirmed that there WILL be a beta.
    *Edit, Beta IS confirmed on the faqs page. Thx skyblade

Aviakio likes this.
  6. Kjulo

All forums have 'tiered' days, as me and my old x-mod teams used to call them.
    First we had golden days: All posts were nice, perfect forum. (Passed time)
    Now we are in silver days: A nice place to be still, but no the best place in the world. (Present time)
    Then bronze days: New members starts flowing in, needing more work and most people arent good for the community, still a better place that most others. (This IS going to happen, you cant stop it.)

And now, the coal days: Alot of users, all good people lost hope and left, unforgiving and Non-contributing members starts to flow in.

This is the sad truth of all communities. Cant deny it.

-Also beta test have been confirmed, check /r/starbound on reddit :)

Skyblade799 likes this.
  7. DJFlare84

DJFlare84 Spaceman Spiff

*Siiigh*... I miss the Golden days of my old forum...

You totally pegged that correctly, though. I don't think I've ever seen a forum that survived the ravages of plain old-fashioned AGE.

8. Skyblade799

Skyblade799 Void-Bound Voyager

The beta has been confirmed, on the main site in the FAQ :)

Edit:
    Proof: http://playstarbound.com/faq/

Jermex likes this.
  9. Jermex

I'll choose not to engage your view of community growth, your opinion is as valid as anyone's.

The Faqs was recently updated, my knowledge was gleaned from this

So beta IS confirmed and I'm just crazy

Skyblade799 likes this.
  10. Kjulo

I have never stated a bigger community is a bad community, im simply saying that sometimes an overflow of unwanted people can come and take alot of people like them with them, everyone who contributes with nice comments, critique, sprites etc. is good in my book. :)

11. Ghostar

Ghostar Steakeater

The only reason I went for mod was because alot of my friends said I really should. (I don't regret it!) As for beta, I don't want to beta test... But I'm still here posting!

KatamES and Nike like this.
  12. Kjulo

And a good moderator you are, my main point is simply when people arent really ready for the moderator role, they tend to end up in a mess they dident deserve to be into. :)

13. Jermex

kjulo, I may be naive, but I like to think that if we maintain a positive attitude, the core of the community will still beat strong. and instead of seeing silver and bronze, we will ascend to platinum.

Nike and Ghostar like this.
  14. Kjulo

Indeed we will, but at some point the community of something ends up not maintaining its earlier quality, i never stated it would be soon, there could go years. But it will always come.

15. LemonRobot

LemonRobot Phantasmal Quasar

I haven't really noticed it that much, but the "tiered day" list is true. No forum can survive forever, we have to enjoy it. I'm sounding like in a week the forum will be a hot mess, but that isn't true. We've still got a LONG way to go if this forum will ever get into the "coal days". And as Jermex said, the Platinum days will probably be what we achieve next. ;)

16. Jermex

Ascension to platinum days!
    Ghostar and I will keep all the meanies and trolls away!

MegaCakeFan likes this.
  17. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

(imo) if the community remains small enough it will never degrade. The biggest problem is the size, not the age. A forum of a few ten thousand people is manageable, but once you get as large as, say, the LoL or Runescape forums, there really isn't much of a way to keep as good as in the "old days".

18. LemonRobot

LemonRobot Phantasmal Quasar

Will you keep the sp*ce h*bo's away? (I have to censor it)

19. Jermex

Lemon, Space Hobos are welcome here, they have no home so we can share!

20. Sokina

Sokina Heart of Gold

Those are nice little negatives. You should mention the positives, however. It's not exclusively a bad thing. So what if someone wants to be a Beta Tester/Moderator? I've been both, several times, myself. It's hard to describe the feeling of spotting a potentially game breaking bug that nobody else has reported on, and that the game COULD have been shipped/pushed out with. Beta Testing, for me, wasn't "Lol I get to play the game early." I wasn't "playing" a half finished game. I was looking for things that could make the game better. As for moderating. Being popular means nothing except that things you do have a more amplified ripple, whether a good or bad action. Thus the Famous/Infamous complex.

If I make a lame post right now, there'll be a few people who look down on it. If I make a lame post as a moderator, there'll be a lot more people that look down on it. But it'll still be "Looking down on it." It just means you'll get more attention for things you do. There's nothing wrong with being a moderator, or a Beta Tester. To some people, they're not jobs at all. Even playing my brand new, AAA, 60 dollar games. I'm still encountering bugs, glitches, and more that I report on frequently. So for people like me, Beta Testing wouldn't be "Playing a half finished game." And on the topic of moderating, if you're helping the community, being a respectable person, and more. It's not a second job. It doesn't have to be a second job. You don't become a moderator, and THEN be helpful, respected, and active/a role model. You become a moderator BECAUSE you're helpful, respected, and active/ a role model.

Beta Tester: Your feedback and actions will go towards making the game better. This is a good thing. If people complain about it being a "Half finished" game, they probably shouldn't be the ones testing it. If I got thrown into a half-finished game, It'd just mean more ways I could make it better.

Moderators: Your feedback and actions will (hopefully) go towards making the community better/closer. This is a good thing. I have no idea where this "Sad truth of communities" stuff comes in, either. Moderators hardly should classify people as "Good people" and "Non-contributing members" at all. Maybe THAT'S why it's the "sad truth." Most of my fellow moderators back in the day tried (Quite successfully) to make "non-contributing" members equal members of the community. That's the right attitude to maintain. Not "Eventually it's gonna be not so good." I'm sorry if that's your truth, but that's not the universal truth.

It sure as hell isn't a truth I'm going to sit back and accept, lying down, either.

TL;DR: Currently unavailable. People need to know all of this mess.

Madmarlon, Bask, Cacame and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.