1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Penguin Pete not offering ship upgrades?

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Solinias, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Solinias

Solinias Void-Bound Voyager

For some reason, Penguin Pete isn't offering me anything in regards to ship upgrades and I've gotten most of the Outpost unlocked; except for Dreadwing, which I'm still too underpowered to take on that mission and getting the teddy bear which I'm still farming cotton. I've not bought the fake ship license, either. Is this a bug or am I missing some new hidden steps to unlock ship upgrades?

Edit:
    Would like to mention that I did the Erchius Horror quest three times with still no ship upgrade quest from Pete.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  2. Blurgaro

Blurgaro Void-Bound Voyager

you'll get the upgrade for free if you have 2 crew members. do quests and talk to random npcs. some of them want to join your crew. or you do Dreadwing and then you could buy dublones from the penguin bar for 3 diamonds to hire a penguin as crew member. Ship-upgrades on 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10 crew members

3. Solinias

I've not been able to do crew recruiting at all, even back in 1.0 when I WAS getting ship upgrades. I think I was on the...8 upgrade module quest for Pete, had plenty of room, still was unable to recruit.

4. Trinosaur

Trinosaur Big Damn Hero

Is recruiting crew members really the only way to upgrade your ship? Surely there's an option to buy it yourself?

5. Solinias

Like I mentioned; 1.0 I was able to buy the upgrades with upgrade modules after talking to Pete. I talk to him now in 1.0.3 and all I get are options to buy hoverbikes. Either there's a new requirement for starting that, or I'm currently sitting in what I'd say is a gamebreaker of a bug because I've encountered three people that wanted to join me and nothing at all happens when talking to them.

6. TheDerpySupport

TheDerpySupport Subatomic Cosmonaut

You dont talk to pete. You talk to the shady guy closest to the outpost. The options for license are like 10k, 20000, 44000, 80000, and 150000 for the different license

7. LOL BALL

LOL BALL Existential Complex

You are talking to the wrong penguin.

8. Solinias

So Pete no longer does upgrades as of updates after 1.0, is that what I take from what you're saying? If that's the case then I still am screwed because Penguin Bay is still not open for me, I just managed Dreadwing by the skin of my teeth, and I found a fourth NPC who was looking to join my crew and still could not recruit her.

Edit: To prove my claim that Penguin Bay is still locked up tight, here's an in-game screenshot.
    [​IMG]

9. SeaMichelle

SeaMichelle Some Sort of Weird Fish Princess

Glad I'm not the only one having this problem.

10. TheDerpySupport

TheDerpySupport Subatomic Cosmonaut

Yes and no. Penguin Bay handles purchasing illegal license while Penguin Pete handles the actual upgrading inwhich when you acquire said License you take Upgrade Modules to him. Penguin Bay, from what I have experienced, opens up after completing the Floran Hunting Ceremony.

11. LOL BALL

LOL BALL Existential Complex

You see that guy with the orange beard over there? That is the "penguin pete" you need to talk to.

An off topic note, did they add new hairstyles to the familiars? You seem to have a hair I have never seen before and it's adorable.

12. Muumiperuna

Muumiperuna Intergalactic Tourist

I played single player game. I got my 2nd crew member. I teleported to my ship and big License plate appeared on my screen. I did not get a quest or notification about upgrading ship. Pete does not offer upgrades. I have done all quests in single player up to Floran trials quest in the early game. Dreadwing is dead in multiplayer and in singleplayer. I have dismissed on crew member and replaced it with a new one. Still no upgrade option. I do have upgrade modules and I have tried to talk to Pete with or without them in single player and in multiplayer.

I have played the game on my friend's server and also done some grinding alone in SP. I got 2nd crew member in SP mode. I do not have Sparrow Ship Upgrade - quest.

No Mods
    Windowed mode
    1.03 Starbound

Silveresque likes this.
  13. Parrotte

Parrotte Supernova

Might be that you somehow bugged the game; I personally managed to get 2 crew members, got the license popup, and was then referred to Pingupete to upgrade my ship. Did so and he upgraded my ship no problem?

If all else fails, use the /spawnitem command to spawn a ship upgrade item of the proper tier.
    ("shipT# | Note that the fixed ship is T3)

Edit:
    Windows 10, 64bit
    Starbound 1.0
    Mods: Extended Songbook GUI
    Windowed mode

14. Muumiperuna

Thank you. Could you define "fixed ship"?

A The ship as it is with 0 crew members
    B The first ship upgrade which is enabled when you get 2 members
    C. The one that costs 10000 pixels in vendor

Which one of those is "fixed ship"?

The command works after one has typed /admin and pressed enter. A cog-like item spawns to the cursor location. I picked the item up, put it on tool slot and used it. No effect. I tried this on ship, and on ground. I also tried to sell it to Pete. Nothing happens.

I created an alt and the item works. The ship cannot be downtiered though. My main's ship has storage crates from floor to ceiling.

15. Parrotte

Parrotte Supernova

"Fixed ship" means that your ship is no longer an uncontrollable and disintegrating space container with a Windows 95 computer.
    IE when SAIL is activated and your FTL is functional again.

16. TheUnartist

TheUnartist Pangalactic Porcupine

Give yourself admin privilege, then use the command /upgradeship
    It requires a JSON parameter like /upgradeship '{"shipLevel" : 3}'

17. Muumiperuna

Upgrade succesful. It required /spawnitem shipT4 when I had 2 crew members onboard. Thanks for the help.

EDIT: PROBLEM FOUND!

When enough crew members is acquired, the following happens:

1. you get a license popup when you teleport to ship.
    2. Behind the license popup, a quest pops up. You don't see it well.
    3. If you accept the quest, you can upgrade your ship.
    4. If you want to get rid of the license popup fast and decide to press ESC because meh, you'd rather empty the inventory fast, you might decline the quest behind the popup.

You have decided that you will never want to upgrade your ship. Congrats.

You need to use the /spawnitem shipT# (whereas # is the tier (4 and above)). When you reach new crew limit, you get the quest normally even if you declined the first one.

WHAT TO DO WHEN YOU GET ENOUGH CREW MEMBERS:

1. Teleport to ship.
    2. Wait for License popup to disappear.
    3. Accept quest for upgrading the ship.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016