RELEASED 6/9/18 FULLY COMPLETED Pencilstab's Portraits (Character sprite edits available!)

Discussion in 'Portraits' started by pencilstab, Mar 24, 2016.

?

Who's next?

Poll closed Mar 31, 2016.
  1. Harvey

7 vote(s)
    9.5%
  2. Leah

19 vote(s)
    25.7%
  3. Sam

5 vote(s)
    6.8%
  4. Alex

12 vote(s)
    16.2%
  5. Haley

6 vote(s)
    8.1%
  6. Maru

5 vote(s)
    6.8%
  7. Sebastian

8 vote(s)
    10.8%
  8. Penny

12 vote(s)
    16.2%
  1. Cache

Cache Subatomic Cosmonaut

I am! I'm so excited for this. I had no idea about the sprite edits because I picked your mod up on Nexusmods a whileee before and only just now checked back, so this is already some awesome new stuff for me. Thank you for the sprite edits, @sheetcakeghost , and thank you again for the portraits @pencilstab. This is the third time I've thanked you, but I really wouldn't be playing this game without your portraits + hair. This is amazing. The sprites are going to be an awesome addition, too. I'm excited!

With these new sprites, I want to hop on the game again right now! xD Fire Emblem Fates will have to wait. (Just got Takumi killed anyways, so I could use this pick-me-up. Gah... Hit rate is a false prophet. Don't believe its lies.)

Last edited: May 20, 2016
      spiritslive99 and sheetcakeghost like this.
    • Gamerweiss

Gamerweiss Scruffy Nerf-Herder

De-lurking to comment for the very first time because oh my god I love your art style. You've ruined me for the vanilla style completely and I don't even regret it. I feel like I'm seeing so much more of the emotions each character is feeling!

And Shane's crooked little smile gives me life.

• pencilstab

pencilstab Pangalactic Porcupine

Will be updating these soon, I believe! Going to finish up the NPCs and then update Sebastian, Penny, and Sam... I think.

Thanks for y'all's support and patience! <3

• pencilstab

pencilstab Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm gonna get on my soap box real quick, and please note that this is really not directed at anyone on the forum:

I created my Stardew Valley portrait mod without any sort of pay, and continued to work on it even when I actually dropped playing Stardew Valley because I burnt myself out on drawing so many of the portraits.

So you can imagine my anger/sadness whenever I would look at the comments on my mod and see stuff like:

• “I agree that Penny and Leah don’t quite look as good as the others. The angle of Penny’s head gives the impression of a strong, masculine jaw, which doesn’t look so good.”
          • “the portrait of Haley with dirt feel odd. She look like a horse-face (Celine Dion anyone?). Don’t you think so? “
          I can’t say I appreciate the unasked for criticism at my mod on NexusMods and even a little bit on the Chucklefish Forums, especially for making a female character look ‘too masculine’ and therefore ‘unattractive’. Not every girl has to look like a fucking doll with Disney-esque proportions.

Modders/artists don’t get paid to create this stuff. it’s a work of love to go through all TEN love interests to redraw and recreate their expressions and appearances, each love interest having around TEN expressions, not including the special portrait expressions. As a mod-user, y’all can be a bit more respectful towards modders, because there is NOTHING THAT OBLIGATES THEM TO DRAW AND CREATE MODS.

If you don’t like my mod, then fine. Don’t use it. Go use someone else’s, but y’all sitting there and telling me my art looks ‘horse faced and awkward’ does not make me in anyway at all want to complete the mod.

TL;DR: Don’t be an asshole to modders, there is nothing that obligates them to creating mods except for pure adoration of the game.

I am, for now, dropping completing this mod for lack of interest and motivation. Sorry.

• Landwalker

Landwalker Pangalactic Porcupine

Super bummed about this... I've loved all of your art, and been holding off on going back to SDV until this was complete just because I have completion-obsession and wanted "the whole set." But I can completely understand where you're coming from, pencilstab. Sorry to hear that people were jackholes about it (my general opinion of people is that they all suck and I don't want anything to do with them, and now that their suckiness is taking away the opportunity to have the "full version" of one of the nicest things in the SDV forum, it makes me even more anti-people).

Please don't take my bummedness to be directed at you at all, though—I 100% respect your decision to do whatever the damn hell you want. I am the most artistically inept person that another person could ever meet. I could make a four-year-old in an earthquake look like Rembrandt by comparison. I am in utter awe at people with as much artistic talent as you have. For me, it's like a rabbit trying to understand astrophysics, so there is no way for me to convey how blown away I am by everything you've posted on the forums. It's some of the most amazing work I've seen on this website, and that's including some pretty awesome stuff. Haters gonna hate, but I just hope that, even if you never pick this up again (although I'll always keep watching this thread...), you realize that that the loudness of the critics doesn't negate the fact that there are also people who think your stuff is jaw-droppingly awesome.

(P.S. Haley and Penny look abso-effing-lutely gorgeous, and anybody who tells you otherwise is a lying liar who lies.)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
              Milkheart, Cache, pencilstab and 2 others like this.
            • Skvisa

Skvisa Space Spelunker

It's too bad that this won't be completed, but I completely understand why. I'm surprised people didn't like Haley, that was probably my favorite one that you did and I was looking forward to see how you did Sandy. It's too bad people chose to be assholes instead of just not using mods they don't like, I thought your art was amazing, personally. Hopefully eventually this gets finished, but, again, I do understand your reasoning.

Also, everything Landwalker said.

Cache and pencilstab like this.
              • Gamerweiss

Gamerweiss Scruffy Nerf-Herder

What. Who the heck has been dissing your art? WHO DARE?

Seriously though, I definitely understand losing motivation when you're getting comments like that, and I'm just sorry that some people just can't hear their common sense over the sound of their own art envy. Your art style is phenomenal, and I will always hold out hope for a time when I'll be able to play Stardew with your portraits for everyone in the game, but please take however long you might need to make it to that point-- if you do at all. If it's not worth it for you, if you'd just be forcing yourself and therefore not enjoying it, then I'm completely fine with what you've already given us.

In short: just be happy with whatever you decide to do next. That's all I ask of you. c:

Cache, spiritslive99 and pencilstab like this.
                • Cache

I see... I'm so sorry you had to read comments like that. I really do appreciate and love your portraits. I can't imagine how much work each one must have taken to do, and I remember you saying you were struggling with continuing these even before. To be further discouraged by that type of thing is terrible. I don't agree at all with that. Your portraits are all incredible, and I'm pretty picky.

Your portraits were the reason I even actually started Stardew Valley in the first place. It wasn't really interesting to me at all, but one day I realized there may be mods for it because it's like Starbound. I found your portraits, and it actually made me want to play the game. I couldn't wait to get in and try them. I hadn't spoken to the villagers at all, but I was interested in getting to know all of them after the mod. I know already said this on your Steam thing, but it really was that way. It even transformed Harvey into one of my favorite characters when before he was even less of a blip on my radar than all of the others when they were all meh. The only thing that felt underwhelming was my own character, so I went back onto the Nexus in an attempt to find what I could do for her, and I stumbled upon your 'More Hairstyles' mod. Lo and behold, pencilstab again! It was perfect.

I realized that aesthetic really is important to me, and yours is something special! There are others that shared the sentiment when I mentioned you in steam topics as well, so know that there are many of us who support your work and love these portraits! That even see them as a must-have. I can't imagine how stressful it must have been and how much time it must've taken, but all of your effort shows! Thank you for making this game playable for me, for being great at art, for your time, and for even sharing at all.

I may not be an artist or great, but I understand what it's like to get criticism like that. I write and used to upload my stories to the internet. I understand how even one negative ripple in a sea of praise can completely crush your enthusiasm and confidence, and how you can come to hate what you'd loved and were psyched about because it now feels like a job that won't even measure up in the end.

I support you, and appreciate all that you did here. I hope that these words will reach you and not get lost in those ripples of negativity. I'm rooting for you and everything you're pursuing next! Good luck and thank you again.

Milkheart and potatochair like this.
                  • HiHaHi123

HiHaHi123 Orbital Explorer

Amazing!Thank you!

• TheWolfyGirl

TheWolfyGirl Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm pretty sure that you never actually uploaded the Harvey with no beard, so I tried to edit the bearded one to have one anyway. I really like this mod, and I'm a bit sad you've stopped working on it.

Attached Files:

Cache likes this.
                      • Cache

Nice. Thanks.
                        And yeah. Same here. I'm more bummed about it then I let on. I don't even play SB anymore, so it'd be nice if this came back to have a reason to return!
                        Not to blame my leaving on it, lol. Hope you're doing alright @pencilstab !

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
                        • Aeice

Aeice Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I found this mod a little later than most players.

I had been playing Stardew with the original portraits. However, I just didn't like the originals. A friend of mine, suggested I try finding a mod. Looking into mods and how to install them, I was excited to find one that I liked. However, I couldn't find one I liked. None of them seemed right. A good majority of them made the males look like females or vice versa. Some were just a style I didn't like. Getting to the point of no return, I almost give up and then google images showed me your version of Elliot.

Now, Elliot is a character I just did not like with the originals. However, seeing your Elliot... well let's just say I was in awe. I loved it. So I clicked on it and it sent me here. I got to see all of the other characters and I loved every single one of them.

With your mod, I found a desire to go out and click on the NPCs. Get to know all of them. Each character feels unique and these portraits enhance the gameplay for me. With Shane and Emily having new portraits, I find myself craving more of your amazing art.

I hope one day you will consider coming back to this amazing project. Thank you for creating these portraits. You have done such wonderful work with each character.

P.S. I STILL can't choose which is my favorite. :rofl: Every time I open a new game... I am torn.... Sam, Sab, Alex, Elliot... :')

Milkheart, spiritslive99 and Efa43 like this.
                          • daikiraikimi

daikiraikimi Astral Cartographer

I just wanted to comment to say that out of all the profile swaps I have seen, yours is my absolute favorite. As a fellow artist, I know how much work you must have put into these-- thanks for making them! And I'm also happy since these portraits introduced me to your art, and I'll be following your work from now on. :3

• Rebochan

Rebochan Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I just wanted to say I'm sorry to hear this mod was discontinued. I'm still very new to the game and grabbed it before it was discontinued, and since the 1.1 update I was thinking of playing again... and wow am I glad I saved my files, because I was surprised to find it completely gone almost everywhere.

Frankly, your art was perfect - it nailed the characters in a way I felt like the original game didn't, and it has a style and personality to it that many of the other portrait mods don't. Plus it's so clean!

I hope you're doing okay, and I would love to see you come back to this someday, but even if you don't, please know that I really loved it too and I hope that at least makes you happy.

• 2Scribble

2Scribble Void-Bound Voyager

Well, for what it's worth, the mod is still fully functional - the only real problem would be Shane and Emily who got some new portrait shots. Either ignore the slight glitches or don't use those two. The rest function nearly perfectly - the art in this mod is too good to ignore -nod-

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
                                • ReplacedAxis

ReplacedAxis Void-Bound Voyager

For the love of god can someone update Emily's portraits from this mod for 1.1 please.

• spoopybat

spoopybat Aquatic Astronaut

I just discovered this mod today and I'm so sorry to hear people have insulted your work like that. I completely get why you stopped, but I wanted to thank you for doing what you did. I sincerely love this mod, so thank you for all your hard work <3

rumblefish likes this.
                                    • rumblefish

rumblefish Void-Bound Voyager

Even though you've stopped working on it, this will always be one of my favorite mods.

Thank you so much for everything you've done <3

Milkheart likes this.
                                      • verlagui

verlagui Big Damn Hero

I love your style! :D

• Landwalker

Landwalker Pangalactic Porcupine

With the combination of 1.1 being released to rekindle interest in SDV, and tax season looming on the horizon to remind me of what I was doing to stay sane last tax season, it seemed like a fitting time to swing back by here.

Sad to see that Pencilstab hasn't finished up the rest of the missing portraits, but also fully understandable. Miro, whatever you're up to these days, I hope it's going great and that you're still producing awesome art.