Patchnotes for v. Indignant Koala 12/11/2013

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Dec 11, 2013.

1. KitFox

KitFox Pangalactic Porcupine

They do realize the game is nearly an alpha at the current stage right? By that I mean barely in beta. Though like the previous poster said there is a lot of passion there.

2. NewBorn

NewBorn Big Damn Hero

Tiy: "Portable pixel printer coming in the next update (amongst other things) print futuristic replacements for things like campfires/torches"

3. bairanbokkeri

bairanbokkeri Space Hobo

4. SputnikYuri

SputnikYuri Space Spelunker

Voltaire, I partially agree with you on the bows. They can be rather impractical at close range and against charging opponents. But, in my opinion, the bows in Starbound are not made to be weapons, they are ideally for hunting game. Now, if you're having problems killing game with your bow, you could try to attack them with your steel until you can put them down with a quick bow shot. It still takes some maneuvering, but it's easier than making the entire kill with bow shots.

I think they should make the critical shot a little more rewarding, right now it seems best to get a critical volley, and anything below that is not really an effective shot, unless you're trying to volley quickly. They could also leave the bow where it's at (I like it, the challenge adds some fun & staisfation to hunting) and make meat a more rewarding meal, and develop other rare animal drops. Leather is an existing example, and things like beaks, bones, guts, paws, etc etc etc could be added as armor, vanity, and other items.

Taking it to the furthest, implement a tech tree similar to that of smelting and metal smithing, but instead with natural items, immersing the player in a 'sustainable' exploration of the universe, using parts from everything they slay in their wake. This eco-friendly trait could be earned and used to give the player favor from other like minded groups (Florans come to mind first, but it could be any!), perhaps even disdain from the technologically advanced. On the other hand, the player choosing a path of metalwork would find a variety of firearms they can craft, small gadgets they can make [and use], maybe materials that give them bonuses and incentives to build.

5. The Alien Way

The Alien Way Existential Complex

Hey, I said "eventually phase out" :p Also, ooooo, printer upgrading tools sounds awesome :D Haven't been following game dev as rabidly as I used to :wut: Definitely agree with monsters eventually dropping super-rare equipment-crafting materials.. Reminds me of Monster Hunter (one of the best, most torturing games around)..

6. Minnigin

Minnigin Phantasmal Quasar

new smilies :up:

7. Volitaire

Volitaire Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I actually can agree with your statements there. More so with the bow being more of a hunting tool than a weapon. (I do take pot shots when they're at low health but it still tends to make things a little difficult when they charge for me. I tend to get roughed up focusing on getting the shot off. Harder to do when they're darting about and we're on a hill.) I just felt the bow was slightly underpowered was all when the situation didn't really turn in your favor. But yes, I would like the yield from animal/hunting drops to have a little more reward. Makes it that much more worth it.

vanella likes this.
  8. wsensor

wsensor Subatomic Cosmonaut

If we are going to have pickaxes at all it would probably be better to just have stone, copper, iron, steel, (insert strong metals here obviously), etc... Same goes with drills and armors...
    Having alloys would be cool too for materials.

• The lack of strength on planets in each sector make it so I just want to go through the sectors and do nothing after the first planet is harvested in the current difficulty.
    • 10 levels on planets is just not enough should probably be more like 3-5 per sector.
    • 100 may have been too much at first but it could be slowly fleshed out to have more difficulties added back in.
    • Procedurally generated items/monsters should/could still work.
      • Alternatives could be base the attacks, defenses, elemental strengths/weaknesses, health and energy of monsters based off their body parts.
    • Since this is just a beta it is working as is but we don't want this to be so over simplified.

vanella and The Alien Way like this.
  9. Demonforce

Demonforce Space Hobo

hey all! not quite sure where to post this idea of mine don't know if it will get seen! but maybe there should be more incentive to leave the first planet your on. the intro as i understand it is you leave your home world to explore and you run out of fuel. but well maybe the starts could be randomized a little like you got pulled into the gravity of an unstable planet and damaged by floating shrapnel. and the planets core its going to collapse on itself so u need to mine materials for fuel and a replacement part or two. the creatures are going nuts and the first boss could be responsible for that planets impending doom from over mining or a super weapons test. and taking him down gets you the asteroid drift patterns so you can safely leave that planet and a location of a spaceport.

so why a spaceport? well you escaped that planet and your on your way but those hand crafted ship parts are coming apart at the duct tape so the star port could be a great place to open you up to starter quests that will end in new working leak proof parts and missions that point you towards other planets.

so yeah random idea i had after reading some users opinions :p

10. Ogremindes

Ogremindes Scruffy Nerf-Herder

OK, mini-bosses need work. Just got one-shot by one in beta with one upgrade shy of full steel.

11. The Alien Way

The Alien Way Existential Complex

Yeah, I didn't truly mind the removal of the 100 levels, but always thought 10 was about 10 too few :> 20 seemed nice to me :D Just something charming about saying "Man, I just risked a level 17 planet and got my interstellar arse handed to me :wut: Tragic! Maybe someday the 100 levels will be back, when there are enough variables to actually distinguish a level 67 difficulty from a level 68 :p I can think of LOTS of enemy abilities that'd spice the game up :D Chameleon, (all the rpg-ish effects you commonly see like petrify, sleep, multiple levels of poison, blindness, diseases, EMP bursting to disable your electronics, rally-cries, things like that), enemies that when killed break into multiple smaller enemies (slime style!), damage reflecting and damage dealing shields, enemies made out of ore types that drop those ores, teleporting enemies, digging enemies (limited to dirt/cobblestone, probably), explode-on-death enemies, "illusory image"-creating enemies, enemies that splash out lava or poison on death, enemies that can steal food or pixels from you, a million other things :> The miniboss type enemies are cool, but they should have about 10 more size variants (no matter how bad they look when they're huge, doubt we'd mind that much).. And with randomization, say you find a "Titanic" sized miniboss on a difficult world and you're already maxed out, he can vomit lava and petrify you and rip down cheap walls.. Just knowing he's there, even if its next to undefeatable, is still an awesome thing :D

A lot can be done with weather too :> Some of these planets should be next to suicide to land on, much less to explore, much MUCH less to attempt to live on :p I, for one, would try my best to live there :> Erupting acidcanos and tacidnamis and enemy dens/lairs and mercury rain and frequent meteor impacts and constantly raiding bandits/pirates and burrowing worms and EMP pulses from the planet's core and firestorms and plantlife that puffs out toxins and frequent space-rifts puking out horrors and nitrogen blizzards and radiation and grudge-holding/stalking enemies that follow you home and WAIT. AND WAIT. :p

Guess I want certain areas of Starbound to be hell-on-non-earth :> But these areas would have loot quality/frequency multipliers through the roof, too :>

RealityGlitch likes this.
  12. Aeon

Aeon Phantasmal Quasar

when should we expect the next patch?

vanella and TheComfyKnight like this.
  13. Tsuky

Tsuky Starship Captain

Thats a nice idea, but I don't want to risk mean people doing something with my computer, also I am able to play only with Hamachi (for some reason, even when I port Forward, I cannot host other way.)

14. thedimon564

thedimon564 Void-Bound Voyager

fix the bombs i killed the penguin boss (on my friends computer) 3 bombs dead penguin ufo boss

15. Tsuky

Tsuky Starship Captain

I found this little bug, on grasslands, when you go low enought, the layers on backround don't overlay as they do on other planets [​IMG]

16. oceansRising

oceansRising Pangalactic Porcupine

Patches are so cool! (I didn't mind recreating my character either, see you later Treehunter).

17. Eric Sheppard

Eric Sheppard Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm grateful that more content and depth has been added with every patch. Can't wait for the next one - And on a more frank note, for the last of the character wipes to be over and done with.

18. ReticentGrace

ReticentGrace Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Is anyone else having port non-connection errors when they try to join servers after the patch? I've disabled my anti virus, opened and forwarded the port it claimed not to connect to (21025), and added exceptions in my windows firewall and my router firewall. I could get onto the server just fine before, but it seems a little borked now.

"Join Failed! Error connecting to (ip address of server) Port '21025' "
    :facepalm:

19. Sire Nukerre

Sire Nukerre Big Damn Hero

There is a bug where a drill or a pick could still be as efficient as when it is not broken and can't be repaired.

20. loc978

loc978 Phantasmal Quasar

they do seem all over the map... I encountered two on the same planet today (gamma sector, wearing full titanium), one that I could take 4, maybe 5 hits from (I healed once during the fight, so I'm not sure) and another that one-shotted me for my full 170hp. Thankfully his only move was charge, so I came back and cheesed him to death in a prison of cobblestone with a murder-hole for my flamethrower.

...and they both dropped common 2-handed melee weapons like you'd get off any player-race dungeon mob.