patch out jelousy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zosa, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Kurachi84

Kurachi84 Cosmic Narwhal

i don't know, because NOT triggering the jealousy speech doesn't avoid friendship points reduction
    but i havent thought about that yet, family members counting as outsiders o_O and they care so much for each other, normally

as i said, giving bouquets sounds logical, but just gifting.... that's nothing to be jealous about
    lets hope the devs (or at least some modders) will see this, and remove it

• Zosa

Zosa Cosmic Narwhal

wait, you get an automatic deduction even when you dont talk to your spouse??

• Kurachi84

Kurachi84 Cosmic Narwhal

don't think so, i think dialogue and friendship points are seperate.... i have seen that in many cases, at least

• BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

I think the issue's a non-issue. And to wrap it in a veneer of "consent" seems kind of ridiculous. The game was written such that spouses don't consent to gifting eligible NPCs outside of birthdays. To demand the rules be changed to fit the player does nothing for "consent." It would more closely be called abuse.

That's just my feelings. We all play for our own reasons in our own way and ultimately mods twist the game to our own liking. Still, I feel demanding consent is abuse.

Ainzoal likes this.
          • Zosa

Zosa Cosmic Narwhal

so you feel the player should either give up gifting to give to the demands of the spouse or to accept that interactions with other people that are not solely verbal is infidelity should one decide to enter into marriage at all?

i am not suggesting your opinion is invalid(it is as much a valid one as my own) but i am wanting to know the extent of your feelings on this matter

• Kurachi84

Kurachi84 Cosmic Narwhal

i disagree, BentFX, i think you should be able to be friends with others, even after marriage
              that's why i said that i do understand the jealousy when you give others Bouquets
              maybe if you give bouquets or other stuff to those you gave a bouquet before, but simply being friends..... right?

• BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

My feeling is... I use mods. I use the automate mod and I recognize that I'm cheating the machines. I am using an outside resources to twist the game to how I like to play. I don't want to be chained to the furnaces or the cheese presses. I find the game more enjoyable by letting a script fill that role. I don't apologize for it and I don't claim the game is somehow doing me wrong by not pumping the machines for me out of the box.

The jealousy mechanic is a part of the game. Mod it to your hearts content, but don't pretend that there is some deeper morality that makes your position on it correct. It is probably the most realistic part of the whole marriage scheme in the game. People are insecure creatures. To really exacerbate those insecurities in your spouse, start giving gifts, twice a week, to others that could take their place. As a person who has spent some time in the real world I am very confident in saying when the person your gifting is your spouses sister it only makes matters worse.

I'm lucky because my play style only has me gifting on birthdays anyway, but if I intended to get married while still pursuing other eligible NPCs I'd recognize it's going to be a problem.

Some say the bouquets are different than just plain gifts. While that may be true, I still question what is marriage? There is a "questionable" activity that you know is going to stress out your spouse. Do you argue about it, cheat it with a mod, or just avoid it in deference to your spouse. I'm kinda old school. I think you just take it as part of being married. I think in a marriage you make sacrifices to strengthen the marriage. I know that sounds old fashioned, but as a child of a broken home, I wonder how life would've been different if my parents hadn't been so f-ing selfish. And it was baseless jealousies that drove them apart. Jealousy is a real world thing! And the simplest way to beat it is avoid the conduct that feeds it.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
                  Ainzoal likes this.
                • Kurachi84

Kurachi84 Cosmic Narwhal

you get reallife into a game's discussion
                  the NPC's have a lot of real personalities in them, but it's still a game
                  otherwise we'd need new dialogue for each day

but anyway, i'm playing the game, as my reallife isn't going well

people become friendlier and trust you when you talk to them a lot..... only realistic if you talk back (which you don't) and say something else (which they don't)
                  i want a nice peaceful life, that's why i bought the game

you had a bad time with your parents, so why don't you see why I want to escape reallife and have nice relationships ingame?
                  i lost the only reallife friend i had, which was a very good friendship, after he got his first girlfriend, now thinking he's an adult, and needs to use his time to please her, like paying 90% attention, if not more
                  my father started suffering from dementia, and my mother.... well, she's different (can't explain well)
                  then i lost the workplace i was going to, with 1 very nice guy i worked with and laughed with

all in the same times.... now i wanna play this game to have SOME sort of peace in my mind

it seems you rather see reallife in the game, more than a peaceful time (unless you screw it up yourself, like all spouses at 1 date, or giving hated things)

1 character is married to Penny, and as nice and pure as i see her, i get sick of her complaining about the kids she helps being annoying to her
                  thats a bad side, but simple to ignore, but giving others normal gifts in the game and being badmouthed for it, is NOT easy to ignore, as you might feel somewhat better with him/her, so it's better than reallife (in my case), but now we get jealousy for just gifting

in short:
                  "Jealousy is a real world thing" i say "magic isn't, most other gaming features aren't, and i wanna get OUT of real world stuff by playing a game, which i like to be NOT real world-ish"

and another thing in this case, is that in reallife you don't get your wife/husband suspicious when you give someone from the other sex a gift
                  if i had a girlfriend, she'd NOT be suspicious if i gave a guy a gift
                  in the game, they become suspicious for any other spouse, even if you don't feel anything more than friendship toward them

sorry for the long and somewhat personal post, but i hope i'm clear with this (clear enough, at least)

• Zosa

Zosa Cosmic Narwhal

i actually don't feel it is realistic though... i actively encourage my irl to be nice and make friends which includes occasional gifting. i don't get jealous when he is friendly to other people and i am enough of a grown-up to understand that he isn't going to mack on every boy and girl he comes into contact with just because i am not there to haunt him like the ghost of sour hearts. assuming your spouse is a cheating dog just because they are not a recluse who only talks to you is a sign of abuse and mental deficiency. i would not be in a relationship with a real person who actually acted that way so why would i desire it in a game? it does not help that it is arbitrary(story-wise) who makes them jealous too, the hot wife who resents her absentee husband and encourages you to come over all the time? not a threat. the handsome man who lives out in a house in the woods who sends you special secret letters and sometimes asks you to bring him wine or a hot meal? not even a whiff of suspicion there. the guy you barely know who tells you off while hiding in his basement who once accepted a chicken egg? you two are bone-town buddies 100%

also i had a bitterly jealous father and my mother broke ties with all of her friends and all but one member of her family(the one he liked) and even mistreated us kids just to appease him and he constantly thought she was cheating on him anyway and even had her stalked several times to make sure she was actually working at work and not messing around. it meant nothing that she went out of her way to avoid anything that could ever be misconstrued as anything but devotion to him and it changed nothing about how paranoid and disturbed he acted. there is a difference between avoiding a trigger and putting an oil-fire by gingerly trying to step around it

• BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

No, I didn't have a bad time with my parents. They're good people, who 20 years later admitted they rushed into marriage then gave up too quick. It's just a broken home. No evil boogeyman to hang blame on, just people screwing up as people often do. I didn't buy the game to provide myself a peaceful life. I bought it because I wanted to explore it and figure it out. I never felt that relationships ingame were any kind of substitute for real life.
                      Then you said this...
                      I don't see it as real life or as an escape from real life. I do see it as something where a traditional commitment to a marriage vow includes not purposely doing what triggers your spouse. And the game is still real playable, I argue better, if you put that vow first.

Your Dad doesn't exist in SDV. In SDV it is just as simple as not triggering the known trigger. As far as I know you've just got to get Elliot to two hearts so you can get into his cabin when it rains on his birthday, then it's just three ingame years and you've got all marriage candidates to eight hearts, with just birthday gifts. For me that works.

We're all different. We all want to play the game that makes us happy. I just contend that the jealousy thing isn't a game breaker. If someone wants to mod it out that's not a bad thing, though I would argue against removing it from the game.

• Kurachi84

Kurachi84 Cosmic Narwhal

i still see no problem with them NOT becoming jealous over a normal gift (which is the suggestion here), as it's a very small community
                        1 place with 12 spouses, and a few others.... kinda hard to avoid them, and being friends should be allowed

i know it's no gamebreaker, but if he only had to suggest things that are gamebreakers, we'd lose like 90% of the suggestions, wouldn't we?
                        that counts for this game, but also all others in existance

people in reallife being so suspicious about every little thing is bad enough, we don't need it in a game where having a peaceful life (aside from the 2 dungeons) is a major thing, too

in the game you can't flirt, until the bouquet has been given to someone, THEN i understand jealousy
                        in reallife some become suspicious after their man/women (mostly seeing it with men doing so) giving a birthday gift while laughing at her, even if there's nothing going on.... why do the same in the game?
                        this game is for all ages, so should kids think "if you have a lover, you may not give stuff to others"?
                        and i'd think the same if i had a girlfriend, and she'd be jealous because i gave someone else a gift, just for the friendship i'd have with the other person

• Sleeping Fox

Sleeping Fox Void-Bound Voyager

I talk, kiss and gift (a loved gift) my spouse at the beginning of every day, and then gift the other bachelors (I try to gift them all on the same days so I only have to risk jealousy on 2 days a week). Afterwards I don't talk to my spouse for the rest of the day to avoid the jealousy speech and I have never lost any hearts of my spouse this way. I don't know if this is a safe way to avoid losing hearts, but it has worked for me in two games.

• Zosa

Zosa Cosmic Narwhal

it seems like a little piece of the toxicity he had is in my spouse though. that's kind of messed up and i'd rather it was removed from the game rather than instigate my spouse or avoid getting married. i'm just not the sort to be cold to several perfectly alright people to appease one delusional person and if that means removing theflaw from the game so i don't have to see my virtual family fall sway to it then that is how it will be for me

it is fine though that you feel the way you do about the morality of this removal of personal agency. that is valid too

golly, i'd be a bit sad not to talk to my spouse at night, they have a different dialogue then and it is nice to get that second smooch to end the day how it was started :rofl:

• Kurachi84

Kurachi84 Cosmic Narwhal

hearts are not the same as friendship points
                              so you might lose points, but no hearts yet

• Sleeping Fox

Sleeping Fox Void-Bound Voyager

Yes, but it can't have been too many points and I think the decay is slower than the increase if you spoil your spouse. It took me a while to get all the other bachelors from zero to 10 hearts, but I didn't see any negative effect. The wiki says jealousy might lose you 30 points, so shouldn't you be safe if you give the spouse a loved gift (+ 80 points) every day? Anyway, I find it less stressful to marry first and befriend the others later, especially with the new jealousy group heart event, which apparently can't be triggered when you are already married. Regardless of that, I agree with the original post that the jealousy in the game is annoying and we shouldn't have to find ways to avoid triggering it. In my first game I just wanted to be a good neighbour and gave everyone fruits from my farm, so it was a bad surprise when Sebastian suddenly accused me of "secretly" giving Elliot a gift as if I had done something terrible and sneaky (especially since I gifted Elliot in public). This unfounded jealousy over nothing then led me to deceive all my other spouses and find ways to gift the other bachelors behind the spouse's back (and the rebellious part in me feels very smug about it), so they are actually causing the thing they want to prevent.

• MouseyPounds

MouseyPounds Cosmic Narwhal

Well it took a little while, but there is now a better solution for those who dislike the jealousy mechanic. A new mod called Unique Jealousy Responses was just released by @minervamaga which changes the guaranteed 30 pt loss to a possible 15 pt gain or 15 pt loss (depending on how you answer when you talk to your spouse) and it also includes unique dialogue for each character.