patch out jelousy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zosa, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Zosa

Zosa Cosmic Narwhal

i adore harvey and i have been marrying him in every new game but today he accused me of 'secretly' gifting elliot and giving me a dirty look while asking if he should be suspicious. that is pretty messed up especially since he gets coffee literally /every/ morning first thing(and i always smooch him because that is heckin' adorable). i am at max heart with him and i really don't want to be accused of cheating just because i gave a guy something nice(heck, it is a two-heart relationship, it isn't even cause for suspicion)

please, does anyone know how to patch out the jealousy? even if it is still a negative status(like, he stubbed his toe or is grumpy from work or something) i just don't want to be accused of being sketchy when i have been anything /but/

• Fuzzyman

Fuzzyman Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If you don't marry until after everyone is at 10 heart points it's not an issue

• leilacrystal

leilacrystal Scruffy Nerf-Herder

PLS i need the same thing. i have so many issues with this just as a concept. in a close community like stardew's it doesnt make sense. i'm friends with everyone and i'm going to give them gifts!!
        i have no idea where it is in the code, either; i tried searching for the dialogue tree but didn't see anything clear.

• Ainzoal

Ainzoal Ketchup Robot

There's mods for this I am sure. Just use those

• Kurachi84

Kurachi84 Cosmic Narwhal

i agree, even if it's just jealousy after you gave another person a bouquet
            not even able to gift someone (not counting birthday, of course, i don't think it happens then, or at quests) is weird

• Zosa

Zosa Cosmic Narwhal

i marry harvey spring 1 year 2, it is part of how i do it. i don't play to year three and so i cannot reasonably wait until then and by the end of year one i've only capped with about half the village. i just lack the time to do better with my current abilities

i've checked here and nexus and have found no such mod. i would not ask if i could find one

i would just be happy giving them random junk like crab cakes and void eggs, i really have no intention of dating others :rofl:

• Kurachi84

Kurachi84 Cosmic Narwhal

well, you can use the mod "FriendsForever", so they never lose friendship points, and you can just talk to them everytime you remember
                still IS weird they get jealous, but until they decide to do something about it (and IF they will), we are stuck with mods
                but i do vote in with this suggestion "remove jealousy" (maybe better in suggestions?) .... at least when giving normal gifts that are NOT bouquets, because that's kind of weird to give while married/in love

until they decide to change it, if they will, use that mod, and villagers will not lose friendship points you gained already (maybe unless you give them dislike or hate items, haha)

• Zosa

Zosa Cosmic Narwhal

it isn't about the friendship points, it's about being falsely accused of adultery by my spouse. i take consent /very/ seriously and being told i am violating the rules of consent by engaging in romances my spouse does not approve of is really messed up when i've done no such thing

i think the easiest thing is to find the dialogue and change it to something else, even if that means a penalty still occurs it does not mean i am being accused of untrue things

Arlem and Saraneth like this.
                  • Kurachi84

Kurachi84 Cosmic Narwhal

i understand your point, but your spouse shouldn't be doing anything bad only because you gift something to someone
                    no bad dialogue, no friendship points gone

i also said "until they decide to do something about it (and IF they will), we are stuck with mods", meaning i don't say it doesn't matter, just that we can't do much now, and only can hope for them to change that weirdness
                    i haven't had that jealousy yet, while i try to be friends with emily and shane, so i get items (and i just try to fill up all hearts for everyone)

why just change dialogue? i think it's not hard to find the dialogue and change it, AND remove the friendship point removal

so yeah, until then, we use mods, i'm afraid (just like the short time you have, i love the game way more now, just with that 1 mod)

• Zosa

Zosa Cosmic Narwhal

this is true but i have seen modders talk about how much harder it is to change heart penalties when doing mods that change dialogue so only changing the words is a way to reduce the barrier for entry to anyone who'd be willing to fix it(also i can offset the penalty in about two days just doing what i normally do)

i have not had jealousy happen before this current save file and i have had it twice now(i made a branching timeline with my current, one where i was to marry harvey like usual and one where i was to marry elliot just because i wanted to try and the elliot branch lasted all of an in-game week, i kept feeling like it was a crap idea from day one then he accused me and i was like 'nope' and divorced him. two weeks after harvey i got the same accusation and now i am thinking about just restarting my game)

• Kurachi84

Kurachi84 Cosmic Narwhal

hmm, i'm not THAT serious, but it's strange that they do it like that
                        i mean, if you were giving them a bouquet or something, then i'd get it, as that's a sign of love, but just normal stuff to be better friends, that shouldn't make them upset at all, hmm
                        i have seen mods that might be close to be as hard as changing the heart event, but i can understand it not being that simple

• Zosa

Zosa Cosmic Narwhal

yeah, it's mostly a personality quirk i myself have rather than devoting myself to the game. i am super tied to consent psychologically(and with my job maintaining consent is a daily thing so i do not have a chance to lapse on the sentiment). i also am really adamant about honesty being important so it is a two-punch accusation

that all being said i am not wholly independent of irrational sentiment though and harvey reminds me a little of myself and a little of my fiance sooooo... yeah, i kind of only want him to be happy with me :rofl:

• MouseyPounds

MouseyPounds Cosmic Narwhal

The jealousy dialogue is key "NPC.cs.3985" in Strings\StringsFromCSFiles and can be easily changed with a small Content Patcher mod.

• Zosa

Zosa Cosmic Narwhal

oh! thankyou! here is hoping there is someone who'd be willing to make the cp mod now that we know where the original is!

• MouseyPounds

MouseyPounds Cosmic Narwhal

Here's a simple Content Patcher mod for you. The spouse now has a positive reaction dialogue, but you can change the text in the content.json to your liking. The chance of jealousy triggering and the 30-point loss if it does is unchanged since those would require a SMAPI mod.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
                                • leilacrystal

holy heck thank you SO MUCH
                                  I couldn't find the string anywhere, and you DID THE THING
                                  thank you so much!!!

Darkcedars likes this.
                                  • Zosa

Zosa Cosmic Narwhal

!!!!!!! you are stars!

• Sugar-Fable

Sugar-Fable Phantasmal Quasar

Thanks for the patch @MouseyPounds !! I hate the jealousy mechanic in this game T.T

Darkcedars likes this.
                                      • Erick648

Erick648 Pangalactic Porcupine

Question: Does Haley get jealous if you give Emily a gift and vice-versa? I'm guessing so because it would require coding a special exception if they didn't, but that's particularly bad, because you're family.

Not to mention that giving gifts seems to be a common way to show friendship in Pelican Town. Are we to presume that, say, Demetrius gets mad everytime Robin sends you some wood?

Saraneth likes this.
                                        • leilacrystal

it ABSOLUTELY does happen, i'm married to emily and she gets mad when i gift her SISTER. i hate the jealousy mechanic so so much, particularly in dumb cases like this where, as you said, they're FAMILY. -__-

i *think* there's ways to avoid the jealousy speech (iirc, if you dont talk to ur spouse until after youve gifted people for the day, or something like that?) but i'd rather have the whole thing Removed.

Saraneth likes this.