Modding Help Parallax Modding

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Sparklink, Jul 28, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Sparklink

Sparklink Ketchup Robot

I am trying to make a biome parallax where a layer is placed in front of the player and blocks rather than behind. I have been trying to make it work for awhile and I have run out of ideas. Is it even possible?

2. RainbowHannah

RainbowHannah Void-Bound Voyager

I don't know if it's possible. As far as I am aware, render level an z level are two different things; I only remember being able to change the latter when I messed with parallax last, while you would need to find a way to change the render layer to player+1 to move it in front. Look around for a way to change the render layer, but I wouldn't be too optimistic.

3. Sparklink

Sparklink Ketchup Robot

I have actually tired parameters like "zLevel" and "renderLayer" and several possible number combinations that might put it in the parallax where I want it, but none of them worked.

4. RainbowHannah

There might just not be any way to do it then, unfortunately.

5. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

6. RainbowHannah

7. Sparklink

Sparklink Ketchup Robot

I actually have already read it a few times looking for a solution, however I realized that there was one angle I had not tried. The article mentions that you can use the parameters on an animation for an object to get the "over the player effect." I think that I could possibly give the desired parallax part an animation that will make it appear above all objects by default. It is a long-shot but hopefully will work.

Update. No it seems like this simply will not work at all. I can not even tell if the game is actually reading the animation and frames files I have in the folder with the intended parallax. The Starbound Log makes absolutely no mention of the animation and frames meaning that either; the two files work perfectly but can not place the image on the foreground, or the game simply does not read them at all because the parallax normally does not have things like animations. I think that the game simply can not do this. (If it was that I made a mistake it would have been shown on the log, however the log came up perfect and I did not get the result I needed.)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    RainbowHannah likes this.
  8. RainbowHannah

I hope it works out! If it does, let me know, since that changes things a bit.