1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed .pak extraction error

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by omegadrace, Jun 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omegadrace

omegadrace Cosmic Narwhal

I am using WinXP, my page file is 3937mb and no I am not running out of memory. This also occurs on a fresh boot.
    My windows installation is fully patched at SP3.

Are there any actions you can recommend?

Every bit of his tone was as I said. Not "normal". Trust me on that.

2. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

I have a chat log that says otherwise, tbch. No tonal issues that I can see, just him asking questions in an effort to help you.

Serious question, though: Are you able to upgrade to windows 7 or 8? I think your XP OS may be the cause, since I think Chucklefish changed their attitude on compatibility with really old OSes with the giraffes.

3. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

CF Still supports Windows XP - Though not really sure how much support for the modding part.
    But the game never the less should work on XP.

4. omegadrace

"let me guess"
    -word-
    "Humour me"
    Friendly indeed. If that's considered normal around here, I feel the best thing would be for me to leave.

And unfortunately, no, upgrading my OS is not an option I can do.

5. Mackinz

"Let me guess" does not have to end with a patronizing statement, and I do believe the "humour me" was after you said (paraphrasing) "what's with the attitude?" so that is excusable.

Hopefully we can fix your issue, though. Any thoughts @kyren?

6. Brybry

Brybry Void-Bound Voyager

I just tested the unpacker with a 32bit XP box with similar stats and it worked ok.

The peak requirements were pretty low and given your reported stats it sounds like you should be fine. It still does sound like *some* sort of resource exhaustion given the variability in how far it gets. Maybe handles?
    Open up the windows task manager on the performance tab (or better yet use process explorer and context menu->properties on the unpacker process) and see if any values correlate with when it fails.

As a last resort you could always run linux (or another OS) in VirtualBox (or using other VM software) and unpack it in that VM. Kind of a shoddy solution though. This site has a bunch of great sourceforge-hosted premade VM images for a minimum level of effort getting things done.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
    The | Suit likes this.
  7. omegadrace

"let me guess" is often used to patronisingly guess the oppositions declaration, usually when you already know the answer.
    "Humour me" Is often meant for continuing a discussion or debate with someone you think is wrong/stupid.
    I don't think asking about his attitude warrants either.

I will give the process explorer a try, then let you know how it works. I really want to avoid using any form of virtualbox[DOUBLEPOST=1434384261][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I have no idea how to go about with this, any ideas?

[​IMG]

8. Brybry

Brybry Void-Bound Voyager

You probably want to look at asset_unpacker.exe and not PAK_GUI.exe though I don't see anything that stands out as near any limits.

Maybe you can get @kyren to build a version for you that catches that error and retries (after a wait()?) as a hacky fix.

9. omegadrace

I'm afraid I won't do that. If I cannot get this working as normal, there won't be any point as I'll have to get it rebuilt again for every major update.

If you still feel up for sending those files, Mackinz, please do once you come back.

10. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Maybe @Healthire may have some thoughts.
    He is on the forums more often then kyren.

But still the issue seems to be highly specific - since no one else seems to be facing it.

Though to make things easier for him, I suggest posting all the current information gathered in the first post.

11. omegadrace

I have added to the first post. Please let me know if I am missing anything.

12. Mackinz

Just want to say that:

1) I am home now,
    2) I am uploading the assets to google drive right now,
    2) the way you've set your profile makes it annoying to start a private conversation with you or even know if you are online, and
    3) looking over the chat logs, Kawa seems to have known you were coming to ask him about your issue because he, you know, reads the forums, so your assertion of him having an attitude doesn't really stick. :/

13. omegadrace

I no longer care for that part of the conversation. I'm not dragging it out in public anymore, as this is supposed to be a thread to figure out why I'm getting this highly specific error.
    I've said what I saw and that is that.

14. MrChow

MrChow Pangalactic Porcupine

omegadrace, please make sure that:
    • the partition you're trying to unpack to is not FAT32 - the amount of files in Starbound is over 34 000, and it's known to overflow in some cases on FAT (although I only faced that bug with FAT16 on a Iomega ZIP backup drive)
    • the partition does not contain errors (run chkdsk C: /F (substitute "C:" it with whatever drive letter you're using) console command, reboot if needed)
    • try to copy "starbound" directory out of its current location in Steam's storage to something like C:\starbound and attempt to extract again (if you are indeed using FAT32, this is 100% the cause of these errors, since FAT32 (by specification) cannot have more than 8 includes in the directory structure. If it does, though, the WinAPI begins to act haywire and asserts since the returned length of string exceeds the maximum buffer length and the memory corruption occurs)

15. omegadrace

The partition is ntfs, not fat32. I understand there are some issues with the fat formats.
    Chkdsk does not come up with any errors.
    And finally, copying the starbound folder into a separate location and extracting there does not create any viable results, unfortunately.

16. MrChow

MrChow Pangalactic Porcupine

I didn't realized it until I've looked at your Task Manager screenshot. You basically have no free physical memory available.

This is yet another known problem with 32-bit Windows XP - its core is locked to support only up to 3.25 Gb of physical RAM, but the most of (relatively old) applications will fail to work even if the first 2 Gb of it are already taken!

Try to shut down all applications and make sure there is available at least 2 Gb of free RAM (not pagefile!), then run the extraction. If this won't help either, then I'm out of ideas.

17. omegadrace

I have tried on fresh starts, where no other applications are running. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.