Modding Help Overriding Existing Races

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Imperitus, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Imperitus

Imperitus Aquatic Astronaut

So I'm currently in the process of overriding some of the existing races with different ones, but I'm wondering the best way to go about this is. My game is having issues with the changed .species file. I'm wondering if any experienced race modders could shed some light on this for me.

Also I'm using the hive costume as a race, I'm wondering if the size will be an issue?

Attached Files:

2. Antyrus

Antyrus Pangalactic Porcupine

At the very least you need to post your log; we can't help you if you don't tell us what the problem is.
    If I were trying to override a species, I would replace the files in /humanoid/<race> with the proper images, and then change <race>.species to match, which it sounds like you're already doing.
    Also, why are you trying to override a vanilla race instead of creating a new one? I don't see any benefit in this particular situation unless you're trying to cheat your way into populating the universe with hive maggots(replacing a race literally replaces ALL INSTANCES of that race, not just the player character).

3. Imperitus

Imperitus Aquatic Astronaut

It's part of a much larger mod, it's a lore conversion. I'm replacing the Avians, Apex and Novakids with different races. Humans have had a major lore overhaul, the protecterate has been replaced by the Galactic Imperia and they're now called "Imperials", Glitch will no longer be medival LARPers and be a more hostile robotic race, Florans aren't changing much, Hyotl aren't changing much other than their culture will be more Imperial Japan like Apex are being placed by "augmented" Humans who became cyborgs which split off from the Imperials in their early days. Avians are becoming "Xylopods" (name is WIP) a race of Intelligent insects, I chose the Hive costume set because I like how it looks, Novakids may or may not become Atropoids a horrifying unkown race that threatens the galaxy. I'll be replacing Penguins and some other non playable races, but I haven't decided on what yet.

Well it seems to be working now, but the textures need some adjustments. Thanks though, Perhaps this thread should be kept open if I encounter more problems?

Edit: Woops forgot Image

Attached Files: