1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Overall experience with Starbound on dual boot GNU/Linux - Windows

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by IagoAnrade, Sep 19, 2017.

1. IagoAnrade

IagoAnrade Yeah, You!

Hey, just wanted to see if there are more people who played on both OS's, and their general thoughts about each system (for the game).
    I am playing on a very old notebook, and was surprised with the difference in performance I got when I tried it on Linux. On Windows it was unplayable, due to really (reeally) low FPS, and I thought it was due to hardware issues only. But when I tried it on Linux I was very (happily) surprised to see it running way better, with (mostly) decent FPS. Of curse it's not the best experience I've had with the game, since it is after all a very old notebook which doesn't have dedicated GPU or even a decent processor.
    I can't really tell if the difference in performance was solely due to the OS change, because the windows version I was using was a 32 bits one (although ,my processor is 64 bits capable) whilst my Linux distro is 64 bits, and that might have big part on the change.
    Anyway, just wanted to see what you had to say on the subject. =]

2. AlanL

AlanL Scruffy Nerf-Herder

While I haven't really played the game in Windows, I will say it's one of the best games I've seen on Linux. (Even comes complete with Linux binaries for its pak utilities, quite handy for modders!) It uses a fair bit of power but considering how much it renders, that's hardly a surprise. I've heard of the lag issues and never really experienced it (except when hovering the scan tool over the ark gate when it's open). All said I'm surprised to see a game that runs better on Linux for a change, though I'm not sure why such is the case.

3. gartfart36

gartfart36 Big Damn Hero

It runs better on linux because the game was actually originally designed to run on it. On windows, the game has to translate it's linux code into windows code in real-time which causes a lot of lag. I hope that developers will optimize their games for windows instead or at least mention that it runs better on linux.

Edit: Also using 32 or 64 bit version of windows doesnt matter as long as youre using the correct 32 or 64 bit version of starbound with your 32 or 64 bit version of windows.

Cally94 likes this.