1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Over 5 months for new updates!?!

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by claycrow, Apr 16, 2018.

1. claycrow

claycrow Void-Bound Voyager

Seriously?!?!? This is an awesome game, but people are losing faith in it. It's NOT 3d or something. Please give us new stuff. Kids who can mod other games have come up with awesome (new hats and crap) content in days, while you guys are apparently on vacation or something for 5 months. Is this game abandoned?

2. DShakaL

DShakaL Phantasmal Quasar

What the developers are doing, away from the usual hats and other crap, it takes a long time to develop a new game functionality. Would you make it faster yourself?

PaxCallow likes this.
  3. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

As a modder it is much more easier to add content to the game because you take advantage of already present systems and stuff while the developers create said systems. Using these systems means that the whole background functionality is already present e.g. you write a lua script for a self defined object xyz and the game already knows how to handle it and stuff. However creating said systems take much more time since they should not affect performance in a negative way and also they should work as intended. Also the starbound modding api needs to be enhanced here and there. Then there is a lot of testing too, bug hunting etc etc

PaxCallow likes this.
  4. Galactic Avatar

Galactic Avatar Cosmic Narwhal

While I agree it feels interminable, I think this is mostly due to the radio silence coming out of Chucklefish, before the last year or so (when Mollygos was still around :nurudallas:) there were almost constant updates and screenshots of some type on the blog, generally once a week or every two weeks. Without that constant feedback, it starts to feel a bit like abandonment or vaporware.

Up until the update in February, I honestly thought Chucklefish had abandoned further development on Starbound.

Vrow likes this.
  5. Laterne

Laterne Scruffy Nerf-Herder

As far as i remember they said they will support starbound 1 year long after release but i could be wrong. For a company it makes no sense to spend more money in development for a finished game without expecting more sales on pc or console so i was kinda supprised we got 1.4.

6. scaper12123

scaper12123 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The game is technically done, full release and all. The game is not abandoned, it's just finished and any updates they make on top of it are simply additional content. At this stage, I doubt we will see any new content from Chucklefish other than this upcoming update (and at this stage, I feel like we might not even see this next update)

Pangaea likes this.
  7. Lintton

Lintton Guest

We will be seeing the nect update because it is (likely) tied to the console game port, and a port done with the update is going to needlessly cost more money that may or may not be recouped with the console release?

Lets not forget that, unless there is some serious backroom juju going on, mods will not be allowed, meaning even more incentive to make sure Starbound can stand on its own in a console release without its modding feature and with any multiplayer bugs dealt with.(which, yeah sure it can, but the more stuff, the more planet types to travel around in, the better!)

Its going to be a difficult coming back from the joys of Frackin Universe, but I hope we are getting something special with this update.

Haliblossom likes this.