Outdated

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by The | Suit, Jan 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Thanks - I fixed it a while back.
    Just haven't released 0;8 yet - not sure when I will.
    Iron Anvil a tool used to make items is coming out. Basically would make this book redundant.

If you spot any more errors though tell me - I might not have caught them all

2. The | Suit

Update - Majority of the Book will be pushed to http://starbounder.org/Modding:Modding_Basics
    Which means the E-book will more then likely be discontinued.
    ===

This will allow much more access to everyone. [ Also means the community can update as necessary - instead of waiting for a new version of the book ]

==

This page will now be dedicated index of all Tutorials I have made \ assets for modding.

3. ultrament2

ultrament2 Industrial Terraformer

anything about furnaces?

4. The | Suit

What do you want to know about furnaces?

5. ultrament2

Well, I'm trying to make a multi-output furnace and I was looking around for a tutorial on how to make a furnace for mods.

6. The | Suit

You can't have multiple outputs of anything right now through the standard Json way.

7. ultrament2

Well, damn.

8. hotmitts

hotmitts Yeah, You!

Amazingly useful, thanks so much! Need to sit in my armchair with pipe and slippers and have a good read.

9. prodamn

prodamn Spaceman Spiff

hm, you're recommending GIMP as a gfx editing tool

i tried several i wouldn't ever recommend GIMP for this kind of purpose, you just can't draw in exact pixels
    - you can but it's like moving a mountain with a bicycle.

As much as i wouldn't recommend PS aswell.

Those programs are just not right to draw 32X32, 16x16, etc. pixelated graphics, not they're not good,
    well we can fight about GIMP but whatever.
    i find Paint.Net VERY good for this purpose - i even tried it with Inkscape which is kinda o.k. but i always get back to Paint.Net

if i could remember this one program this mojang guy had used due the mojam or whatever it was called - that one was perfect for this.

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  10. Vaile

Vaile Void-Bound Voyager

aseprite is good if you can get around on how to use it. It's a more specialized program for making sprites than Paint.NET or even GIMP and PS.

11. The | Suit

You need to first zoom in - if you want to do pixel editing with gimp and PS.

12. prodamn

prodamn Spaceman Spiff

Sure thing, but you always have to place each pixel at once, draw a diagonal line without having pixels at half transparence next to your line you've drawn ^^ you always have to zoom in, don't you?

13. Vaile

Vaile Void-Bound Voyager

in the OP's defense, use GIMP/PS if you UNDERSTAND it and are WILLING to use it as a pixel editor.

if you have problems with it, you could use other dedicated spriting programs like aseprite or GraphicsGale (the program used in MOJAM)

14. prodamn

prodamn Spaceman Spiff

Not wanna attack anyone if that's what you're going with, I'm using gimp and inscape for quite some time now i can and know how to use them, not like i don't. It's just that i don't find that it's the best solution for this. But everyone their own,hm? Btw. Yea graphicsgale that's the one, cheers!

15. The | Suit

If you are having pixels at half transparency - you are probably having Antialiasing mode on.
    Though - I probably should mention how to disable it.
    I am not fully aware of how to do so in gimp only in PS

16. Vaile

Vaile Void-Bound Voyager

LOL didn't say you didn't know how to use it. What I meant was anyone willing to use those programs must understand their quirks, like you said earlier with the half transparency issue.

GIMP could be recommended due to it being free and easily accesible, while GraphicsGale on the other hand is a paid app. Good dedicated spriting progs are hard to come by since most painting applications can do it with just a few settings.

17. prodamn

prodamn Spaceman Spiff

exactly! xp

Well I'm not up to fight about it, i just and only said that I wouldn't use gimp for this. I am happy with paint.net.

I'm pretty much done with this subject, should everyone decide on their own what they want to use, and if people devide to use gimp due to your recommendation, great! Gimp is a good freeware prog to work with, it has its own pros and cons.

I personally never got around on how to use PS, but stuff I'm doing may be 50 times easier with PS than with any other program but I'm still not using it for whatever reason it may be.

18. The | Suit

Well to be fair - I can only recommend applications I personally use.
    So there might be other great Apps, but I am personally illiterate in those applications. Hence I could not provide any support for those if I wanted too.
    So I leave it up to other tutorial writers to cover up the inadequacies of my tutorial and supplement it with guides for other image editors.

Which is why my tutorials are covered in GIMP since its free, and I am partially literate in it, since it follows similar style of PS.

19. hotmitts

hotmitts Yeah, You!

Thanks again for this great set of resources! Invaluable!
    I do have a question, as I learned how to raise max health in the player.CONFIG file from this e-book.
    I was wondering if there is a way to raise max health (and other stats, eg cold protection) in game using items or objects . So that you could find a potion that permanently increases your health by 20 for instance. Or maybe discover a rare altar in a dungeon that grants a permanent bonus to your damage protection. As there is no RPG levelling currently, I thought this might be an interesting way of permanently adding a small amount to your maximum health, protection, energy limit etc . Would make a great quest reward.

I'm sort of obsessed by this idea currently, and I'm wondering whether it's actually possible, or if I'm just up against a brick wall. I know it's all done with armor at present, but I still think there's room for some other kinds of bonuses in this vein.

20. The | Suit

As far as I know consumables are all temporary.
    Only armors can imbue permanent (as long as you wear it ) health increase.

The code would be
    Code:
        {
          "kind" : "healthincrease",
          "amount" : 35
        }

Last edited: May 8, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.