[Outdated] The Proper Way to Install Mods

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by SethKipz, Dec 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. intervencion

intervencion Existential Complex

Try again then :)

2. Iron Sights

Iron Sights Aquatic Astronaut

this is not really simple and really doesn't help

3. v6ooo

v6ooo Space Kumquat

It's because the guide is outdated and irrelevant for most people.

Installing most mods is as easy as dropping them in your /mods/ folder now.

If the mod was last updated for "Enraged Koala", it will most likely work for the current version.

4. hotmitts

hotmitts Yeah, You!

None of the Mods I have downloaded, all of which I have placed in the existing 'Mods' folder, appear to be showing up...I'm a noob and confused as to what method to use with the current build? As far as I can tell it's just a case of having in them in the mods folder ?

anybody?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2014
  5. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

If they're zip files, extract them to the mods folder. For example, my Felins mod would be felins-version.zip, with its own root directory felins. If you extract that to \mods, you should end up with \mods\felins\felins.modinfo. If the .modinfo file is not there, for example in \mods\felins-version\felins, you fucked up. If the zip file does not have its own root directory, the mod author is complicating things.

All of this also applies to rar and 7z. I have no useful knowledge on modpack files

6. hotmitts

hotmitts Yeah, You!

Okay thanks very muchly, I'm checking that now...is there a way of telling what mods have loaded somewhere in the start-up process? Any dialogue to confirm which mods are active?
    Also, and I wonder if this may vary from mod to mod, is it usual to have to start a new game/character/world for mods to become active, or will the changes apply to an existing game?

7. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

The server version of the game lists the loaded mods before the "Info: Loading Star::Root..." part. On the other hand, this is not written to the .log files so if you want a copy of the list you'll have to make it yourself.

Example mod list:
    Code:
    Info: Detected mod 'Avali' at '../mods\avali\.'
    Info: Detected mod 'Felins' at '../mods\felins\.'
    Info: Detected mod 'Felins Objects+' at '../mods\felin_objplus\.'
    Info: Detected mod 'xbawks' at '../mods\xbawks\.'
    Info: Detected mod 'scratchpad' at '../mods\scratchpad\.'
    Info: Creating Star::Root with 7 assets sources and config file: '..\starbound.config'
    Info: Loading Star::Assets from: '../assets/packed.pak'
    Info: Loading Star::Assets from: '../assets/user'
    Info: Loading Star::Assets from: '../mods\avali\.'
    Info: Loading Star::Assets from: '../mods\felins\.'
    Info: Loading Star::Assets from: '../mods\felin_objplus\.'
    Info: Loading Star::Assets from: '../mods\xbawks\.'
    Info: Loading Star::Assets from: '../mods\scratchpad\.'
    Info: Loading Star::Root...
    Info: Loading Star::Configuration from '..\starbound.config'

8. hotmitts

hotmitts Yeah, You!

Okay, thanks for your help Kawa

9. officerbomb

officerbomb Aquatic Astronaut

Edit: Nevermind, found it.

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  10. brendobo

brendobo Space Hobo

for step one how do u get to the starbound folder?

11. v6ooo

v6ooo Space Kumquat

12. wakefulzack

wakefulzack Void-Bound Voyager

uh, i have a question, when i installed a mod ( The cheat box mod, because i wanted to get all the weapons after defeated all the bosses ) all my data was wiped, is there a way to recover it

13. v6ooo

v6ooo Space Kumquat

It would have been better if you started a new topic or posted in the mod's discussion but I guess it's too late now.

That is not a known behavior of just installing a mod. You must have done something by mistake without realizing it.

If you go into your player folder there might be a few .bak# files .That is a backup of the last time you played. Just make a copy of your player folder and then delete the original files (without .bak) and rename the .bak# (remove .bak# from filename).
    Untitled-2.png

If you can't see file extensions in Windows you need to go into View & enable file extensions (or Folder Options, View tab & uncheck Hide extensions for known file types)

If you deleted your character completely then it's gone unless you have made backups yourself... and is there any point in recovering it as you just installed Cheat Box mod to give yourself the items anyway?

14. nikilipop123

nikilipop123 Space Hobo

but why i dont have mod folder

15. v6ooo

v6ooo Space Kumquat

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
    The | Suit likes this.
  16. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

This tutorial is outdated - kindly check Modding Guides for updated list of tutorials.
    If the mod author wishes to update the tutorial for the latest version, feel free to PM me or any other mod to unlock thread.

17. SleepySquidd

SleepySquidd Tragically Magic Hands

Or, as an alternative to PM'ing one of us directly, feel free to report the thread and simply stating you want it re-opened. That way any mod online will see it :)

The | Suit likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.