1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

Out of Memory!

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Leires, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Leires

Leires Master Chief

First off, let me say i utterly love your game. My god, you have made one of the most enjoyable games I've played since i was a child. It's so damn fun going nuts and stockpiling tons and tons of items and just watching the ensuing chaos. Sadly, doing such things leads to issues like this. (Sound gets loud near the end)

For those of you whom don't care to watch, this is a video of me and a buddy of mine stockpiling 100 fireworks bundles each and using the Captain's Brooch to stockpile a horde of chests, of which we open all at once. What comes next is nothing short of beauty.

Unfortunately, the game (and, i wholly don't blame you in the slightest for not expecting players to do something so insane) goes bananas and slows way down, creating a beautiful, slow-moving image..That eventually crashes due to an Out of Memory! Issue.

I'd be fine with a 'This can't be fixed' or a 'Well, it could be fixed, but it'd take a lot of work' answer. I'm just here to see if, perhaps one day, this could be fixed. I'm not sure if it's due to RoR being a 32 bit executable, or if it's due to the program used to create it or what. It would mean the world to me (and my buddy) if, even if it was a 'far down the line' feature/fix, that this could be changed somehow to not crash out.

One of the best parts of this game is doing insane stuff like this. Another great one is getting stuff like Ceremonial Dagger and letting Gups pile up in a room, with Spite enabled (Enemies drop bombs upon death) and then just killing one and watching the utter bedlam fountain of bombs that come off. It's beautiful, even at 3 FPS. Before, in the old method of coding/gamemakerstudio, it'd simply reach it's logical point where it became too much to calculate and the game would freeze. I assume the 'Out of Memory!' is the same thing, only kinder about telling you (i.e. no need to force quit the game.)

Regardless if this topic gets buried or never seen by our wonderful creators of this game, thank you so much for making said game. Risk of Rain is fantastic.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
    • gufufu

gufufu Space Hobo

im bumping this because
      OH LAWDY THATS A LOT OF FIREWORKS

Andr0o likes this.
      • RiokuTheSlayer

RiokuTheSlayer Phantasmal Quasar

No fix. The game simply created so many objects that stored to much data for the game's allowed RAM.

Things like the sprites, location, target, speed, damage, ect. With about a bajillion missiles that's just to much memory

Andr0o likes this.
        • Fred10k

Fred10k Great Scott!

Memory itself is not a problem. It is the bandwidth of possible allocations at 32 bit.

Andr0o likes this.