1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

WIP Ores for colorblind - work with me here?

Discussion in 'Other' started by CatBerry, Dec 16, 2013.

1. CatBerry

CatBerry Subatomic Cosmonaut

Hello :

Today we had a discussion in the Starbound IRC about how some people are not good with seeing the difference in ores. One even mentioned the a problem for people who are colorblind.
    So... somehow i ended up working on replacement graphics for that problem.
    I am not thre greatest pixel artist and i often lack ideas.
    Basicly i want everyone who wants to, to provide theire help to this Mod (with graphics or critique), so we we all can make the Starbound life easier for those who can not see colors that good.

(Just in case, i do not really know how colorblindnes exactly works so there might be people who want to tell me about it? I like to hear from first hand experience more than just a wiki page ;) )

For now i just created small shaped graphics in light grey color.

Here you can find the files:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/161evoxrpbmq47v/CatBerryModColorblindOre.zip

just unzip and put the folder in this directory:

..\Starbound\mods

You also would want to delete the preview picture, if your client seems to be stuck in load, from it.
    (For now it only changes the images for non mined ore!)

Here is the preview, that is also inside of the Mod folder.

[​IMG]

Feel free to contribute graphics or ideas and especialy those who might ahve color difficulties, i would love to have some feedback about how good or bad the graphics are to be seen.

Thanks for everyone who did read this far ;)
    Have a great day!

BlaXun, Seonnyn and PJRamaglia like this.
  2. Othienka

Othienka Tentacle Wrangler

I like the coal, copper, iron, gold, cerultium and diamond ones.
    While I would prefer a different symbol for each (as long as that symbol looked "like" something that looked like it could be found inside the earth), I also like what you did with those ores related (silver to platinum, etc.).

If you want to go all the way, you might as well add the chemical symbol (Cu=copper) to those that have them (while making up new ones for those that don't. Either that or a shortened (maybe abbreviations).

3. PJRamaglia

PJRamaglia Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Here's a screenshot of a L10 Volcanic planet using this mod:

[​IMG]

This is definitely a step in the right direction. Great progress so far Cat! :3

CatBerry likes this.
  4. CatBerry

CatBerry Subatomic Cosmonaut

Yay looks good :D
    i didnt get further than beta sector >.<
    for now the main point is to make them easy to see and ofcourse easy to differ รด.o
    im glad it does not look too odd, since i made bigger graphics than the originals -.-