Opinions on Shane as Husband?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Minaewin, Oct 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Gracelessdance

Gracelessdance Void-Bound Voyager

YOU are a lovely human.

• Ghostly Fox

Ghostly Fox Heliosphere

I'll just throw in that, while I haven't married him in game myself yet, since I try to take my time developing relationships in game, the thing that worries me about his spouse room is that it's so much messier than his room at the ranch. Which, given he has depression, is a concern- in fact, it's a red flag that his depression is worse, despite the fact he otherwise indicates he's doing better on the farm. So it feels like either it doesn't match the rest of his development, or that he's not actually improving and is actually getting worse.

EltonScone and lilly_ampleton like this.
      • Ambaaargh

Ambaaargh Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

I will never forget Bong-Gate 2015. And I shall forever mourn blue bong for having to downgrade to blue lamp due just so SDV could maintain its rating. *single tear*

ChaosAzeroth and Chlorruption like this.
        • MarianT

MarianT Subatomic Cosmonaut

Given what I've seen of Shane's room, I had decided not to have my farmer marry him. And when he invited her to go to the gridball game with him (the 10-heart event), I had decided she wouldn't go. But then she took the mine cart back to the bus stop after working in the quarry all afternoon, and it was 5:40, and there was Shane at the bus stop. So now I feel guilty about leading him on, especially since he suffers from depression.

Luckily, my farmer picked up her first prismatic shard in the Skull Cave and finally was able to get her Galaxy Sword, which was enough of a distraction to allay my guilt feelings. Hopefully, I'll get over them by the next rain storm...

(It's only a game...It's only a game...It's only a game.)

• Destany89

Destany89 Cosmic Narwhal

Wait his daughter doesn't move in with him? Isnt Has his daughter? I want to marry Shane and was hoping his daughter would move in too

• ChaosAzeroth

ChaosAzeroth Existential Complex

Nope she's not his daughter.

• Destany89

Destany89 Cosmic Narwhal

Dang it... Ah well. Thank you :)

• ChaosAzeroth

ChaosAzeroth Existential Complex

You might be thinking of the fact she's supposedly his goddaughter. :3

I heard she was probably related to Marnie, so her staying with her would make sense then.

Sorry if I seemed short with you. :3

• Destany89

Destany89 Cosmic Narwhal

You didn't seem short, and I just thought she was his daughter because they look so similar. How are they both her nice and nephew and jas is his God daughter? Wouldnt she also be his niece? Maybe him losing his sibling and their spouse caused his depression? I'm finding I like him and his story more and more :)

• Berret

Berret Subatomic Cosmonaut

I have no interest in him. Waiting for Clint, Linus or Willy instead.

• Chlorruption

Chlorruption Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It just ain't a bear market, amirite?

Badum-tish

Berret likes this.
                        • Surfing Electron

Surfing Electron Void-Bound Voyager

They'd be cousins, as they'd both be children of Marnie's siblings.

• Reddestiny921

Reddestiny921 Pangalactic Porcupine

they just look similar like a pair of common dark haired characters kind of like how Jodi and Pierre could pass as siblings but they don't have a connection,Shane is actually Marnie's nephew while Marnie doesn't seem to recognize Jas as family. Unless something was changed I always just filled in the blanks as Marnie had also been a friend of her parents since she's related to Shane she probably trusted him to stay with them because she might have kept him when he was younger. As she says Shane has only been with her for a few months now and Jas is perfectly comfortable with her unlike some young children uprooted that would need time to adjust, suggesting that she's been with Marnie for a while already.

EltonScone likes this.
                            • Destany89

Destany89 Cosmic Narwhal

The wiki lists marnie as aunt to both of them. And since jas and Shane look so similar I just assumed she's his cousin and he was listed as god father. I also made the last reply when I was tired and for some reason thought Shane would be her uncle lll silly me. So I'm still guessing Shane and jas are related just not as close as I thought

• Reddestiny921

Also seems to me with his usual weekly vists that he spends more time with Jas than he did before, also I was thinking he didn't feel so at home with Marnie whether he might have been used to running to his dear old aunt a lot or not when he was younger makes sense to me that his room where he's happy at home on the farm would be messier that's just how I see it though.
                                [​IMG]

• Reddestiny921

yeah but the wiki is also not always up to date, still if Marnie is actually her aunt as well and they're only cousins it would make more sense that the elder family member with a stable job and income would keep Jas. Still I have my own stories just for the fun of it :D

• dwuff

dwuff Phantasmal Quasar

I second all the comments here about Shane being by far the most realistic spouse in the game. As someone who suffers from depression/bipolar/anxiety I can verify that the things he says and does are actually very realistic, even if they are heartbreaking. At first when I saw his room I was like, ok gross I am definitely testing out the new divorce function.

But then his dialogue made me think twice. The walks he takes make me think of the advice my therapist gave me, to walk or do mild exercise at least 30 minutes a day if I can (it really helps with anxiety). This makes me think maybe his therapist told him to take those walks and he takes them seriously because he wants to improve. The way he talks is the way I sometimes talk to my husband (bless his beautiful and patient heart) with sentiments of self-loathing, like when he says he wishes he was smarter and taller, and then doesn't understand why my farmer likes him the way he is. It's not always so much that you don't believe your spouse, it's more that you struggle to reconcile your knowledge of their love with your very low self esteem. I also like that he randomly says affirming things about his life actually being okay, and being thankful for the hard work my farmer puts in. It's very typical of bipolar to constantly battle your infuriating body while also constantly striving to remind yourself and your spouse that things are actually not all horrible and that you do love and appreciate them.

Sometimes he just stays in bed all day which is also a symptom of depression. When he mentions not wanting to be productive or asking my farmer if he should just nap forever, it's so me! So the only thing that really makes me sad is that since it is a game you can't physically hug the character and tell him you understand. #AllTheFeels I am proud of him each time he gets up after a day of just staying in bed. That is called a victory.

HOWEVER.

I don't like the filthy room. His room at Marnie's was so much cleaner and that was even before he got help from his therapist. For arguments sake let's say Marnie cleaned it for him. Even if that's a meh thought can we not just pretend my farmer cleans it too... I don't like the thought because I hate the idea of wives as maids but at this point I really just want the mess to disappear. I also hate that there is a keg and tons of alcohol in his room. He mentions switching to sparkling water, so the progression of the arc doesn't make sense to me. I know alcoholics can't quit cold turkey because it's dangerous. But maybe limit his references to alcohol and also take out the freaking keg and just leave a sixpack or something. The pizza box I don't even really mind as much. I don't like the way he unapologetically uses/references alcohol in the house and at the saloon after marriage... it's gross. I mean, sure it's realistic, but in a game that doesn't even have toilets in any of the houses (deluxe speed-gro secret ingredient??) and allows chickens to turn into demons after being cursed by a witch... realism doesn't always have to come first.

I suggest tidying up the room a bit and reducing his references to alcohol, or tweaking them to show improvement and growth. It would suit the arc more but stay realistic enough to be immersive.

I also suggest adding dialogue that references his therapist.

I also want to be able to pet Charlie, the cutest chicken ever. But that is low priority. :p

Thank you CA for adding him as a marriage candidate, and for the research you clearly put into making him a believable, relatable character. I'm actually glad that there are some older marriage candidates now because as a 31yo woman it felt EXTREMELY weird to court someone who is still in school and/or staying with their parents, even if it's just pretend! You are awesome, keep up the good work and remember we appreciate all the hard work you do.

• Reddestiny921

I've seen a few times that instead of picking a chore, taking care of Charlie, or going out for his walks to see Jas or go to the store that Shane will also give you something that he will say it's close to expiring, and beer is one of the items he'll give you. Like he moved over his stash from Marnie's but isn't drinking them. I don't know how taxes work for the valley since Lewis only mutters about them sometimes but I imagine in a small town that isn't bringing in much money as a whole it's more like people are staying at home saving resources instead of just being at home for no reason though that's no reason to push someone down. Not every one in a small town would have their own house if they didn't desperately need it. Abby is the only one that mentions online classes and Emily will mention that she had a spicy dish at what would be her high school graduation.

Sometimes we have to cut our characters some slack unless it's Haley or Clint they both need a good timeout and maybe a hit with the reality stick as well, though back to Shane see it how you like I don't care what his room looks like since I have things to do I'm hardly inside until it's dark lol. I've also noticed that he's not going to his little fridge as often though I like to imagine it's locked anyways for therapy related exercises he's busy with me I've had to feed my animals a lot less with him doing it before me. :D

EltonScone likes this.
                                      • Ambaaargh

Ambaaargh Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Truth be told, I honestly figure if the room clutter gets too vexing for me, I could see about making an aesthetic mod that cleans up some of the clutter. It'd probably be a really easy mod to make all things considered since it isn't requiring any real recoding, just some sprite editing.

• Emmy_Co

Emmy_Co Intergalactic Tourist

I like Shane as a husband. I see myself in him, with the depression and self doubt/ self loathing issues. He's still sweet and he gives you omelets and pizza periodically. Granted, he still drinks every once in a while but nothing compared to what he used to. He drinks soda instead of beer which is a good thing. I'm not quite sure why people wouldn't really like Shane after they got married to him. I guess that they were expecting him to be happy and cheerful once you were married to him but that's not real life. I like how even though Shane has depression, he still has good days and the bad. It's how it is with depression. I also feel like Shane reminds me of Wes Bentley who is quite an attractive man!! <3