1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server Help opengl mode still working?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by R1LY, Mar 7, 2019.

1. R1LY

R1LY Void-Bound Voyager

Hi, I have a bunch of dumb questions but it would be dumber not ask right?, I came to starbound after release, like, in 1.2 I think, and I had performance issues, like anyone else I tried to find some ways to improve the experience and wow, thanks guys, I found lots of things, not everything worked but at the end I managed to find very good playable settings

I was using a trick that I don't even know where I found about using starbound_opengl.exe to run the game with opengl instead of directx, it was working flawlessly, I got like twice fps with that, but I found later that starbound is using only opengl now, so what's going on? why that mode gives more performance to my settings? I stopped thinking about it and I went to the multiplayer,BUT it seems like this way I can't play with anyone, my friends had performance issues as well so I told them to do the same and it worked for everyone.

At this point everything is weird, but if is not broken we don't fix it, right?, so I was wondering if I could set a dedicated server but it doesn't allow me to join because I was using this old opengl mode, and finally these are my questions

Can I launch a dedicated server that let us play with this configuration?, like an starbound opengl dedicated server? editing the launcher somehow?
    I would like to know more about this old trick, I mean, why it does something and what it does exactly
    Could I do the same for the regular starbound exe?, IDK, with launch commands maybe?
    sorry again for this topic, I'm almost sure this was discussed already